• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to get access to the patch 1.30.4 editor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
The new patch has destroyed my campaign. It won't even open in the new editor. I posted this on the patch discussion, but no one else seems to be having the problem, so I don't anticipate a rapid fix.

I figure the best way to keep working on it is to get the 1.30.4 Editor. I tried dowloading the Patch 1.30.2 from this site:

Warcraft 3 Patch 1.30.2 Download - Reforged Installation Update

...I ran it, hit 'repair', but the game still opens in the new patch for some reason and the campaign won't open at all in the editor.

I tried uninstalling WC3 and reinstalling it fresh. My plan was to apply the patch from the "gaming tools" website to the fresh install, but when you fresh install WC3 it automatically updates apparently to the new broken patch.

I know people can do this...does anyone know how? My campaign is 14 years in the making and I swear on my life it was almost done. I'm going to be sad if it's dead.

Darwin

EDIT:

If someone wants to test the error, here is the campaign:

Flight of the Snow Witch v1.3 | HIVE

The strings are all scrambled because of the previous bugs, but at least it opened then.

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I can recreate the crash with both x86 and x86-64 1.31.1 World Editor using the provided campaign file. I have notified William (Blizzard) about this.

Could someone which has an older version of Warcraft III verify if the campaign can still be opened? This is to rule out hard to detect file corruption.

This campaign also crashed the 1.22 World Editor when I tried to use that version. Many people on discord have said multiple times through Patch 1.31, 1.30 and maybe 1.29 that these patches corrupt or destroy campaign files randomly sometimes, I believe. I think it is just not a well tested feature in the newer versions. I would advise returning to your latest backup instead.

Correction: The 1.22 World Editor behavior is different from 1.31 when it crashes. It reports a large list of errors with variables. My 1.31 World Editor does not report what is wrong, and simply crashes.

----Edit:----
Based on the fact that it listed variable errors, it would appear that this is an issue when the Campaign Editor parses the wtg to determine transitions between maps. The wtg specification was updated in 1.31 to allow Lua and category nesting, and a lot of stuff changed. Based on previous comments, perhaps Episode 7 saved with an experimental version of the upgraded format that was only used in 1.30.0

What I can tell is this: You modified Episode 7 in a 1.31 Patch which uses a new map format. The other maps were all the old format. I verified this by attempting to open each map on Patch 1.22. Only Episode 7 did not open on that version.

Based on this, I removed Episode 7 from the campaign. This fixed the issue entirely for me. Now my new version is openable again in the Campaign Editor, because the maps included only use the old format ( no 1.31 wtg files to cause the potential parser bug ). Now this fixed version of the campaign opens fine in 1.31 Campaign Editor, and in 1.22 Campaign Editor.

The problem is not that Episode 7 is corrupted, though. The issue is more complicated than that. So Episode 7 by itself is a valid and openable map in the Patch 1.31 World Editor. I have included that map as well, so that you can add it back to your campaign in the future once Blizzard publishes a Campaign Editor that supports the new map format.

----Edit 2:----
The included w3n file was reconstructed in MPQEditor and might have abnormal formatting. I was able to open the missions outside of the campaign editor, but I'm not having success opening the map files from within the campaign editor. What I have here simply resolves the issue of not being able to open the campaign itself.

Attachments

• FlightRestoreWithoutEpisode7.w3n
    265.6 MB · Views: 74
  • Episode 7.w3x
    4.1 MB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Level 14
Wow, you guys work fast, thanks so much!

I am now able to open the campaign file at least, but unfortunately I can't seem to open any of the maps in the campaign to edit them! When I try to edit any of the maps it says: "Unable to load file '7KTest.w3x" and "Main map file could not be opened."

EDIT:

Sadly, my backup maps only go back 6 months, and all of them fail to open as well.

EDIT 2: Here is the oldest backup file (Flight of the Snow Witch v1 | HIVE).

It hasn't been touched since Jan. 13th 2019, so it couldn't have been edited with the newest patches. I mention this because (if I understand correctly) you're saying that Episode 7 was saved in a newer format, but that couldn't explain why this backup version isn't opening (I don't think).

If it helps, Episode 7 is notorious for swapping out the custom loading screen for the default blizzard one. Every few playthroughs I'd have to go back to "Map Properties/LoadingScreen/Loading Screen Graphic" and reselect "Use Imported File".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.