• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Spell] How to break invisibility through triggers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Worst to best:

• You could use a dummy unit with true sight. - Worst thing to do. This could potentially catch other units around too and also requires dummy units.
  • You could cast a invisibility-reveal spell through a dummy unit. - Don't like it, if it is AoE (like most reveal spells, actually are there any single-target? you can't target an invisible unit, can you) it may catch anything around.
  • You could try purge with a dummy unit. - This would most probably remove all buffs, can't remember if there is a single-buff-of-type purge spell... And I think it would not work for Shadow Meld (SM for future reference).
  • You could try removing the buff through triggers. - I think it would not work for SM or it would work only for a few sec until SM reactivates. If this works on SM, this is the best thing to do.

PS: I wonder what would happen if you Silence a unit ?
Edit// PS: Hold on, I know you from somewhere... didn't we work on Nambo's project together for a while ?????

Hope this helps
-Ned

Level 16
Worst to best:

• You could use a dummy unit with true sight. - Worst thing to do. This could potentially catch other units around too and also requires dummy units.
  • You could cast a invisibility-reveal spell through a dummy unit. - Don't like it, if it is AoE (like most reveal spells, actually are there any single-target? you can't target an invisible unit, can you) it may catch anything around.
  • You could try purge with a dummy unit. - This would most probably remove all buffs, can't remember if there is a single-buff-of-type purge spell... And I think it would not work for Shadow Meld (SM for future reference).
  • You could try removing the buff through triggers. - I think it would not work for SM or it would work only for a few sec until SM reactivates. If this works on SM, this is the best thing to do.

PS: I wonder what would happen if you Silence a unit ?
Edit// PS: Hold on, I know you from somewhere... didn't we work on Nambo's project together for a while ?????

Hope this helps
-Ned

Haha, yes we did work on Nambo's project for a while! :p:D:D
I don't think Shadow Meld has a buff?

The remove buff method works for Wind Walk, but not SM.

And unfortunately, I need a method that works on both. (Or at least just SM) :(

Level 12
Haha, yes we did work on Nambo's project for a while! :p:D:D
I don't think Shadow Meld has a buff?

The remove buff method works for Wind Walk, but not SM.

And unfortunately, I need a method that works on both. (Or at least just SM) :(

Hmmmm.... you could remove the SM and leave a dummy passive (with SM DISBTN icon (if it has one) and description or something) for the duration you want the unit to be "not invisible"...
You'' have to record it somehow and do the switcheroo again when you want it to continue being able to go invisible.

Use the above for SM and the buff removal for WW. It is two separate methods, but it solves the problem ?
The methods that would work on both are the reveal/truesight dummy from my first post, but those are both horrible.

PS: I am pretty sure SM has a buff, but it would re-apply it almost immediately when removed.
PS2: What you working on now ?

Regards
-Ned

Level 16
Hmmmm.... you could remove the SM and leave a dummy passive (with SM DISBTN icon (if it has one) and description or something) for the duration you want the unit to be "not invisible"...
You'' have to record it somehow and do the switcheroo again when you want it to continue being able to go invisible.

Use the above for SM and the buff removal for WW. It is two separate methods, but it solves the problem ?
The methods that would work on both are the reveal/truesight dummy from my first post, but those are both horrible.

PS: I am pretty sure SM has a buff, but it would re-apply it almost immediately when removed.
PS2: What you working on now ?

Regards
-Ned

Working on the latest version of my old map.
Mercenaries r1.1d

And no, I don't see any SM buff from the buff editor.

With your way through replacing the ability, I am pretty sure that'd work.
But again, I don't think its a good way as things can get messy..

Level 12
I just don't like replacing/removing hero abilities.
I've tangled myself in a huge mess before..

As I am aware, SM is not a hero ability ? Or have you made it one ?
Fair enough.

I don't think there would be a different method than the above mentioned, except if you create your own invisibility system.
Maybe somebody else would like to take a go?

Regards
-Ned

Wrda

Spell Reviewer
Level 25
If you want to remove invisibility of Shadow Meld, you can repick the ability and wait a few secs and add it again when desirable. you can't remove and add it instantly (doesn't make the unit visible and go invisible again).
Tested myself

Level 8
Create an ad hoc buff or timed ability system (or just use a buff system that features "getting buffs types") that consist in giving the affected unit the 'Apiv' or 'Agho' (permanent invisibility or ghost) abilities. Or you can just turn the source of invisibility (an ability i guess) to consist in just giving such abilities to the unit, instead of using WW/SM/Sorceress Invisibility directly.
Con: this will recquire to recreate such abilities if you are planning to use them.
If you are just referencing invisibility in abstract and not relating to classic invisibility W3 abilities, this could be a nice opportunity to create an invisibility system, and the previous approach will have no drawbacks.

So to break it from invisibility, at any time, you should remove the buff type (if you use a system, by getting the created buff type), removing the added ability.

I think this is the cleanest method. Most buff sytems (there are very few tho) will allow you to get created buff types, allowing you to directly modifyng them (like removing them on demand, modifyng their values, etc).

If you use WEX and like vJass, you could use this system, as it allows you to get buffs easily: [vJASS] - Buff System

EDIT: this already have been said, but a dummy caster (with 0 collision) that casts a 0 area dust of appareance (order id is 852625) should reveal a single unit (please test this).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.