• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to add attachment points to a biped in 3dsm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. I'm currently learning to animate a character in 3ds max. I did everything I need to prepare already, from applying physique to the model until adjusting the envelopes so that everything matches fine.

The only thing left that I want to do before I go on with the actual animating, is to set up attachment points to the biped, for example like "weapon", "origin" or "head", etc. ... you know what I'm talking of. So how can I do that with 3ds max?

Thanks in advance!

Level 14
it is similar to the steps 6,7,8,10 in this tutorial.
(btw you need blizzard art tools for it!!!!!)

differently from that tutorial however, you will make a box named Head Ref (<- or whatever point you want). instead of linking the mesh to the new box, you should link the ref box to a nearby bone. instead of declaring it as a bone in the Object Type of Geometry Properties of User Property Editor of Utilities, you should set it as an Attachment Point (naturally).
and you're done.

if you didnt understand some part, you can pm/vm me. i highly advise you to read that beginner tutorial if you havent. you might learn something new. ^^

i guess its for your sc2 hero?
well, then u need to wait, nobody knows what criterias an attachmentpoint needs to fullfill..
may it be a mesh? an helper? maybe even a blizz scripted helper? we dont know yet...
if its for wc3 then u need 3dsmax 5 and the art tools and under user property editor in the (hammer tab) check attachment point somewhere at the lower part whilst having a box u want as ref point selected...
the origin of the box will be the attahcmentpoint!

Hmm ... I used additional (uniform scaled) bones for the refpoints now. This is how it is displayed when importing the sc2 models into 3ds max. Also, the SC2 editor Model Previewer shows the attachment points as bones.

I can always attach a meshed object or a helper to this bone if required later.

Status
Not open for further replies.