• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How let Ethereal Units attack?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Hi, I'd like to know how to allow ethereal units to attack please, it seems that having the ethereal ability disables all attack, is there a way around this?

EDIT: I need my Troops to be able to attack as normal but only target-able by magic attacks like ethereal units are.

Last edited:
Level 33
So basically Marsh, you want your unit to be Ethereal because you don't want your unit to take damage physically, but magically, right ?
That's why you make them Ethereal, right ?
You should tell us your main intention.

You can't. What you can do is block incoming damage, unless it comes from a spell, but that's a hard work.
Make a new ability that is based from Hardened Skin and edit these data:
Data - Ignored Damage: Set to the most highest value you can go (hold SHIFT + double-click on the field if necessary)
Data - Minimum Damage: 0.00

Now you're good to go, you are perfectly immune to Physical Damage (provided that the damage is lower than your setting value of Ignored Damage)

Level 7
So basically Marsh, you want your unit to be Ethereal because you don't want your unit to take damage physically, but magically, right ?
That's why you make them Ethereal, right ?
You should tell us your main intention.

Make a new ability that is based from Hardened Skin and edit these data:
Data - Ignored Damage: Set to the most highest value you can go (hold SHIFT + double-click on the field if necessary)
Data - Minimum Damage: 0.00

Now you're good to go, you are perfectly immune to Physical Damage (provided that the damage is lower than your setting value of Ignored Damage)

Oh thats a good idea! I will try this when I'm on my home comp, my only concern is that players may be confused as to why they are not doing any damage to my physicaly immune unit. Normaly when you target an Ethereal unit you get the "Can not target Ethereal units" warning, but i guess that can not be helped.

Level 33
No confuse if they already know what that unit does, meaning that the Player has played your game a few times and they know advantage of that unit.

You could add transparency to the unit to try to simulate the ethereal effect (I have no idea how to attain the change in lighting that ethereal units have). Just an idea for your concern.
Ah yes totally forgot about this.
But still as he said, it would make Player in a confusion.
If the unit is Ethereal, there will be default message from Warcraft, but still, if you add transparency to the unit, it would indicate that there's something special with that unit.

You can use this function to recolor your unit to banish-like unit;
  • Animation - Change YourUnitVariable vertex coloring to (100.00%, 100.00%, 100.00%) with 50.00% transparency
It's under Animation - Change Unit Vertex Coloring
A 50% transparency should do it.

Level 7
defskull it dosnt work :(

Unit becomes immune to physical damage but also Magic damage, in fact my unit seems to be immune to all damage except spells cast on it. I tried setting the damage type of attacking units to spells instead of magic and it just shows up ingame as "Normal damage" type and deals no damage to my unit.

Level 33
in fact my unit seems to be immune to all damage except spells cast on it
Don't say all damage, it seems a lot of them when they are actually, only two of them; Physical | Magical

Here's my test map, it works great.

You have 4 enemies in the test map that will hit you, but no damage taken since you have Hardened Skin right. Your unit has Chain Lightning, use it on your Blood Mage, and you notice it takes Magic Damage.

Therefore the unit now is immune to Physical damage, but susceptible to Magical damage.

Attachments

• test2.w3x
    12.2 KB · Views: 78
Level 15
The damage is actually classed as: physical and spells.

Ethereal allows only Spells and Magic (physical magic) to damage. Hardened Skin reduces all physical attack damage (including damage of type magic, not spells). Try placing a Sorceress or Witch Doctor as an enemy, you don't get damaged by it.

Looks like Hardened Skin is not a solution here.

Level 7
how about the elunes grace ability, can you set that one to take 0% damage from piercing siege chaos normal hero and 100% damage from spells and magic?

Elunes grace combined with Hardened skin set to take no damage from melle seems to work. None of the units that deal Magic damage are melle units so it seems to work.
My unit now takes damage from magic attacks and spells, thanks to all that helped!

Status
Not open for further replies.