• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How does internet change a person?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Back... ten years ago. People didn't use internet like they use it now, and people really did things elsewhere. Now when I go on battle.net, I see people with flawless typing and a really seamingly intelligent mind. I ask them, eh.. -- they must be 25! They so no, they're 15. I want to ask you, how does battle.net, Hiveworkshop, and internet in general change you as a person. How do you benefit?

Level 22
I first had internet in... 2003 where I also joined forum /battleforums/ for the first time. I was on dial-up. Then in 2004 came the cable. I learnt lots about where not to go, spam, viruses, scams and nonsense. I also learnt how retarded some are in their attempts to profit. I learnt lots of things from it, so many things I see on the internet and read about them so of course it made me a modern person like anyone else who uses the internet for everything making your life easier so to say.

Level 4
So negative! :goblin_boom:

Listen, I think that the internet actually is good for a person in normal using. I think it opens you up, broadens your mind to the fact there is an entire world of humans who share life and humanity and aren't just subjects of history and bias. It also is quicker to get information, although harder to find out if it's true or not. Plus, it's so easy to get music now, I got over 1250 songs on my.. well, I had 1250 on my ipod. (RIP)

Last edited:
Level 7
Time for a rant-post! Okay, no, not really: it will be decently presented. But, seriously, the facts need to be hammered in.
In relation to the topic, 'change' is quite a loose term. The Internet can be beneficial. For example, tens of millions of internet users across the globe have access to online encyclopedias, resource sharing sites, and so on, thus opening a massive channel of information and data exchange that can have the effect of anything from expanding our general knowledge to assisting us in writing up a scholarly paper. However, while this is true, in my opinion, the cons outweigh the pros by a fraction.
To put it into perspective yet be brief in doing so, excessive use of the Internet has created a dependancy - both academically and physically. Consider the former: who goes to their local library anymore to do research? Few to none. Why? Because you have the Internet! (And, please, don't use E-books as a retort, because that's just pathetic.) In the past, only those with higher degrees wrote academic resources such as books. Now, with blogs and forums, that precious value is diminished by how a simple, unlearned user can write up a post and fool many into believing it is authentic. (Wikipedia, for example?)
And, as for the physical part, simply taking a look at the 'How Many Hours A Day Do You Use the Computer' thread already tells us the extent to which this has developed. Thanks, in part, to the Internet, people now usually spend more than six hours daily in front of their computer. Side-effects? Well, according to medical studies, men who sit for more than six hours a day are 20% more likely to die at a much earlier age than men who sit for three hours a day. * Or, consider how extensive use of the computer diminishes eyesight by developing myopia - or "near-sightedness". *http://www.rense.com/general57/tvcpom.htm

What's my point? While the Internet has a rainbow of benefits, it's creating a dependancy that's causing us to forsake a more natural lifestyle in exchange for that of a couch-potato. Anyone who's watched Wall-E (as gay as it may have been) and recalled that scene with those fat people in the hovering seats will see what I'm illustrating.

When abused, use of the Internet can be destructive. When used in moderation, it can be beneficial. It's not the Internet that changes you, it's how you use it.

(It's quite likely someone is going to argue with the points I stated, or defend the aspects of the Internet which I attacked. This isn't a debate thread, and I am only making my opinion known.)

- StarCraft I taught me how to spell "money" and "because".
- WarCraft III taught me how to lose my girlfriend and gain 30 lbs.
- World of Warcraft taught me how to lose contact with my friends.
- StarCraft II taught me how to troll.

░░░░▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░█░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▀▀▄
░░░█░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░░█
...░░█░░░░░░▄██▀▄▄░░░░░▄▄▄░░░█
░▀▒▄▄▄▒░█▀▀▀▀▄▄█░░░██▄▄█░░░█
█▒█▒▄░▀▄▄▄▀░░░░░░░░█░░░▒▒▒▒▒█
umad?

Level 14
The internet made me stay at home.

Internet made me.

I am one of those who have used internet for their whole lives (15).
And without internet, I would be a lot stupider and I wouldn't know so many things and I would probably be childish idiot... like those other people in my school...

Oh and my english would be much worse.

Level 4
We all have greatness hidden in our breasts, only waiting for something to evoke it. I could probably be the greatest guitarist in the world! I just have insane music stuck in my head, but I don't practice on the guitar, and I already have other careers I'm working on. Music isn't my passion.

Level 11
Internet Changes Our Lives
it is like somewhat a, for example, fire exit or escape pod from life

we go here when we do nothing and no inspiration at all to continue our life xD

The internet brings you into contact from people all around the world, and should you choose to go out and meet these people, can generally make you a more worldly person.

On the other hand, if you only stay among people who think exactly the same as you, you can end up becoming even more secluded and isolated.

Level 14
We all have greatness hidden in our breasts, only waiting for something to evoke it. I could probably be the greatest guitarist in the world! I just have insane music stuck in my head, but I don't practice on the guitar, and I already have other careers I'm working on. Music isn't my passion.

Yea you are actually right, we all might be good at something we just haven't tried yet. For example, I just few days ago started golfing, and I am really enjoying it, and before I tried, I had no clue how great fun it would be.

Oh and btw, I were Nuclear Potato, but I requested name change, so now I am just Nuclear.

Level 7
The internet, depending on how you're using it, can be both the best thing and the worst thing ever invented.
I haven't read any post, but I am sure that there have been (at least) a couple of posts saying the same: There's 2 types of internet users, the idiotic one (becoming lamer with the brain) and the other one using the internet for his benefit (learning from it, for instance, perfect his/her vocabulary as much as possible). Now, if there's forums (like this) that a certain person uses, most likely you'll end up watching videos on Youtube, posting stuff on here and laughing at memes.

For me, the Internet changed a great deal. I mean, I'd maybe, most probably, be a bit more serious in real life if it wasn't for the internet, but I at least found out how stupid some guys on the net can be. I remember 3 years ago on Facebook everybody was chatting and using those emoticons too much. like, they post a word and a 30-character long emoticon... Well, little has changed since that, but at least I don't do that. I find it that people lack brains while chatting like this. Jeez, chat normally. Now, on the other hand, Leet talking is not that bad, I must say. IT's solid, it definitely is better than the Facebook chat thingy I posted. IT can be funny, rarely is not. Still, nothing beats the good'ol normal talking.

I don't believe in the internet :)
Same for gravity and oxygen >:D

edit
lol since I bumped this thread, I'm editting my post and adding something serious:

- The internet can corrupt you
- The internet can make you smarter
- The internet forces you to stay at home :p (Cause mobiles suck so I don't surf the internet on them)
- The internet makes you realize how many retards are out there (Those people who say stuff like "All Muslims are Terrorists")

Level 7
OFF-TOPIC:It's not that all Muslims are terrorists it's that all Terrorists are Muslims, there is a difference

Offtopic:

Bull. Shit.
Not all muslims are terrorists, Hell, not even 1% of muslims are terrorists. I'll go as far and say there's even less than 0.1 % of Muslims in the world that are terrorist (about the thousandth of 1.6 billion... which is 1.6 million, surely less than that). Not all terrorists are Muslims, but how America changed the definition of Terrorist to "Man who defends his homeland, muslim." What Obama does in the world is considered Terrorism by the original definition of Terrorism, yet he calls it "Peace-making" and "Peace-sharing". Real fucking fair, right?

you shouldn't be muslim?

You forgot the sarcasm tags D:

Offtopic:

Bull. Shit.
Not all muslims are terrorists, Hell, not even 1% of muslims are terrorists. I'll go as far and say there's even less than 0.1 % of Muslims in the world that are terrorist (about the thousandth of 1.6 billion... which is 1.6 million, surely less than that). Not all terrorists are Muslims, but how America changed the definition of Terrorist to "Man who defends his homeland, muslim." What Obama does in the world is considered Terrorism by the original definition of Terrorism, yet he calls it "Peace-making" and "Peace-sharing". Real fucking fair, right?

There are literally 0 terrorists in my country lol :p
99.99% of these terrorists are just people who are misled.
Infact, the more people call muslims terrorists, the more muslims are going to want to fight against the people and thus, they become labeled as terrorists.
I'd say there are under a 100000 terrorists, maybe even under 10000.

The idiots that come up with this stuff like "Muslims are Terrorists" can be found
spamming the hell out of videos on YouTube.

I get 4 new messages a day on YouTube from some people who keep calling me a
"puslim".

I try to avoid these people because apparently, inteligently communicating with them is
not a solution.

OFF-TOPIC:It's not that all Muslims are terrorists it's that all Terrorists are Muslims, there is a difference

I know, but you won't believe how many retards use the inverse o_O

Ok Guys, any minute now, some dude is going to see this thread, make an account, and
start flaming me. Just watch, it happens all the time...

I wouldn't say that. The fact is that there exist terrorists in every religion and ideology. Also, there is quite a lot more Christian terrorists than Muslim terrorists, they just don't get the media attention, or the media forgets to say they were actually Christian. The media have this habit of thinking when it comes to Muslim terrorists: "Oh no! He's a terrorist, obviously that's because he is a Muslim", and this when it comes to Christians terrorists: "Oh no! He's a terrorist, it must be something else than him being a Christian. He probably just a psychopath"

And yeah, youtube seems to be where all people gather when they want to play a flaming bigot.

You guys are getting way offtopic and into flaming territory.

Within any idea system, religious or non-religious, exists extremists, which have the possibility to become terrorists.

Are extremist Irish nationalist Muslim?
Was it a Muslim assassin that set off World War I?

Hate comes in all forms, pinpointing it on any belief system is a fallacy that just leads to more misplaced aggression.

So can we please get back to the discussion at hand?
Unless becoming an overly confrontational know it all that doesn't know anything about what they're talking about is part of how the internet changes someone (well at least for some it is)

Level 12
Someone should stop this OFF-TOPIC: But anyways, Everyone of us is special= We're all retarded, you Can't Deny it. And Internet did do that to us too, but being a asshole was popular when you needed to be strong to survive, but with the internet you can just be a life-less troll

But anyways, Everyone of us is special= We're all retarded, you Can't Deny it. And Internet did do that to us too, but being a asshole was popular when you needed to be strong to survive, but with the internet you can just be a life-less troll

ಠ_ಠ

Let me just ask you this, when you were typing that out did it look like an intelligible and coherent statement to you?

Level 12
I was seriously pissed off, don't wanna talk about it...

Now the Internet connects people (like Nokia :D), still I know people who have Facebook for like 1-2 years and have seriously changed, they think they're someone when they get drunk, and other shit

Status
Not open for further replies.