• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Is internet immortal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Internet is virtual and it's a wonder of technology. What keeps internet alive? A generator of electricity or computers? By the technological meanings I don't possess knowledge about technology and I find it equally hard to understand the endless space and internet. Internet is always active there are no limits for activity on internet and internet is a otherworld. And what powers the internet? I think internet was a really simple thing and had drastic changes because of user population. I am one of millions who has access to internet but I never knew how to make a websites, actually I've seen so much websites that I am intrigued how do people make websites, no one can teach me, I could make a website with tools such as microsoft word but where could I host it? Internet is full of problems and wonders. And I wonder if all electricity is gone it means internet is gone? In Japan currently japanese lack electricity and to produce energy for the cities they use nuclear energy source. In the situation of Japan many people don't have electricity, many lack internet and that happened similar to New York at 1970, the panic and almostly the city of New York look like it was dying. And when I heard that 70% of money is transfered through internet and not through banks, companies and industries I see that internet is a very dependent source which many people use internet even as a way of life and making online money. If the all electiicity has gone where would the internet realm be gone? I don't guarantee in the eternity of the human civilization, but if there is electricity because of human acts would internet be immortal?

Level 4
On a simple note, the internet hate machine, now that it has come into existance, will always seek to keep itself alive.

On a more advanced note, unless humanity screwed itself over you're not going to see the internet die for a very long time. By the time we have greatly advanced in cybernetic technology the internet may be alot more restricted and more like a large cybernet of information, but that's just a possibility. As we are moving forward we are integrating computing into our lives, to the point cybernetic integration of hardware and software into human beings should one day be a possibility.

That's a more scary reality, with a horrific amount of room for control, despite the obvious benefits of interfacing technology with our mind instead of using a slow computer GUI in comparison, and the fact we could have proximity scanners, material composition scanners, even a simple calculator as part of a human. Personally I think we'd advance before we made AI to match us.

If as nothing else but a mivehind-esque global/(universal) information tap for humanity at some point, I see the concept of the internet living on, even if it will undoubtedly change.

Since it is pretty much the interconnection of computers on a large scale to provide a web (which is why they call it that, it's a good analogy) through which one can travel easily in most directions. So long as a few computers can be connected, the internet exists, for that is the spirit of it.

Level 12
There are microchips which are imported in few people, but mass conversion of humanity into cyborgs is unreal humans can't make 7 billions people into cyborgs. No organisation or any individual could import microchips into the whole population, if there was a duty because some people made a conspiracy that every individual must import the microchip because of some reason, not all people would accept to do it. The people (who are fooled) would demand microchips for their own security. The people who think that they can mass control people can only converse the fool, to converse the smart people it would be very difficult.

Level 4
There are microchips which are imported in few people, but mass conversion of humanity into cyborgs is unreal humans can't make 7 billions people into cyborgs. No organisation or any individual could import microchips into the whole population, if there was a duty because some people made a conspiracy that every individual must import the microchip because of some reason, not all people would accept to do it. The people (who are fooled) would demand microchips for their own security. The people who think that they can mass control people can only converse the fool, to converse the smart people it would be very difficult.

It today's world of course it's nothing but silly superstition.

However, say we had researched and interfaced ourselves down to a thimble- had the technology to be able to open interfaces in our mind and so forth, like a computer?

If we completely understood how the mind works and integrated cybernetic enhancement to provide human technology functions to it, what's to stop us from programming it as well? Of course it's just a theory, and wouldn't happen for a very long time, centuries if not more. Still... Anywho, almost derailing it with a subtopic. My bad.

Level 15
Internet is virtual and it's a wonder of technology. What keeps internet alive? A generator of electricity or computers? By the technological meanings I don't possess knowledge about technology and I find it equally hard to understand the endless space and internet. Internet is always active there are no limits for activity on internet and internet is a otherworld. And what powers the internet? I think internet was a really simple thing and had drastic changes because of user population. I am one of millions who has access to internet but I never knew how to make a websites, actually I've seen so much websites that I am intrigued how do people make websites, no one can teach me, I could make a website with tools such as microsoft word but where could I host it? Internet is full of problems and wonders. And I wonder if all electricity is gone it means internet is gone? In Japan currently japanese lack electricity and to produce energy for the cities they use nuclear energy source. In the situation of Japan many people don't have electricity, many lack internet and that happened similar to New York at 1970, the panic and almostly the city of New York look like it was dying. And when I heard that 70% of money is transfered through internet and not through banks, companies and industries I see that internet is a very dependent source which many people use internet even as a way of life and making online money. If the all electiicity has gone where would the internet realm be gone? I don't guarantee in the eternity of the human civilization, but if there is electricity because of human acts would internet be immortal?

The internet is a series of tubes.

Anyways, the basic mesh of the internet is just a really complicated phone protocol, think of the IP (I presume you at least know that) as a phone number. each computer has a unique one (originally). Now think of websites as the person you are calling. Originally you had to know the exact IP of who you wanted to talk to, now instead of typing in a bunch of numbers, we type in an address, such as hiveworkshop.com. This address is sent to a DNS server (domain name service) which has a library of all the addresses, and all the IP's in use. So when you send it an address, it gives you the number back, which is automatically called. Think of it as an operator. Now that you are at the site, the data from the website is transmitted to you, using various different protocols. The simplest you know of probably is HTTP, from the beginning of URLS (http//:), it stands for Hyper Text Transfer Protocol. The data that is transferred to you is taken by your browser, and translated into an interface, which you can click or type on and send data back to the server. The server takes this data, processes it, and performs a function. When viewing a site you never directly connect to another viewer, you just both connect to the site.

And that is essentially it.

Phone = Internet
DNS = Operator
Servers = Who you are calling

Edit: Oh right, never explained what powers it.

The internet is simply a mesh of computers, electricity powers the computers and relays. Servers are just computers that are accessible from the outside.

An example of this is the fact Hiveworkshop is run by a Quad Core Xeon i7 (Xeon is a brandname for server processors, i7 is a processor family) with 4gb of RAM. It's not some glowy magic box that spews interwebs, it's just a small probably grey box that is programmed to transmit the site to a viewer and has a special name.

Level 30
How does something that has never lived obtain eternal life? im-MORTAL?
"Immortal"

"Im-" = Negative aka. "not-"
"mortal" = "bound to die some day"
+---------------------------------
= Not bound to die some day.

If something doesn't live, it can't die. So it's immortal.

On a sidenote, something that lives (aka being organic) is made out of carbon-based compounds. The internet isn't made out of carbon (or hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen, etc...). So it does NOT live.
Something that doesn't live can't die. So yes It's immortal.

If you take immortal figuratively, as in it will never stop being used, then no it's not immortal because the human race is bound to extinct.
This thread is retarded.

Level 4
Well, if you don't live, you can't die because dying basicly means that you stop living.

Which is contradictive when said existance does not live. Mortal and immortal are applied to things which are capable of living- so trying to use its definition that way doesn't really work.

Immortal was asked to denote whether it would exist forever; whether it could actually "die" not in a sense of living but ceasing to exist. Honestly, without civilization to sustain it our internet would fall apart. Life and death are two sides of the same coin, and you can't have one without the other. In Grim Reaper's terms, if all life died out then ol' grim would be out of a job, since no one would be dying anymore.

Even if it became a sentient machine of destruction we'd only be destroying it, whereas saying killing would only be dramatic rather than literal.

Level 9
Bandwidth is slowly and slowly being eaten away. So it will be gone someday. Probably in the 2030's.
Unless of course, we get to use something else other than bandwidth as our internet access payment. But at the current times, that's impossible.

Level 30
Which is contradictive when said existance does not live. Mortal and immortal are applied to things which are capable of living- so trying to use its definition that way doesn't really work.

Immortal was asked to denote whether it would exist forever; whether it could actually "die" not in a sense of living but ceasing to exist. Honestly, without civilization to sustain it our internet would fall apart. Life and death are two sides of the same coin, and you can't have one without the other. In Grim Reaper's terms, if all life died out then ol' grim would be out of a job, since no one would be dying anymore.

Even if it became a sentient machine of destruction we'd only be destroying it, whereas saying killing would only be dramatic rather than literal.

My grandpa is dead and has been for a few weeks.
He can't die because he's dead already. GETIT?

Level 4
My grandpa is dead and has been for a few weeks.
He can't die because he's dead already. GETIT?

-Shrug- So you're saying that in effect, your grandpa is now immortal by being dead? I'm sure many religious people would find that to be a fascinating idea, the athiests even more so.

Also, my condolences.

Level 30
-Shrug- So you're saying that in effect, your grandpa is now immortal by being dead? I'm sure many religious people would find that to be a fascinating idea, the athiests even more so.

Also, my condolences.

It's pretty much impossible to die when you're dead already. How is that not logical to you? You only die once or do you believe in resurrection or whatever?

Level 4
It's pretty much impossible to die when you're dead already. How is that not logical to you? You only die once.

Because a being that has died has shown to the full extent mortality. A person who dies is not immortal (death proved their mortality), and when dead they cannot die again because they're already dead, rather than being unable to die in the first place- in a general sense.
I get where you're coming from, but immortality is supposed to be applied to that of which is capable of living, so as to deny mortality. The term may seem a bit ambiguous, but the proper use is pretty understandable. In that sense the very wording of the thread's title is incorrect, though it could arguably be for a dramatic tone rather than a literal one. Though, that could just be corruption of the word for you, and the exact definition you gave correct, thus making the term very ambiguous. Not that it's important really, not sure why we're arguing the exact meaning and conditions of a term when it makes little difference. Maybe just for kicks, I've been pretty bored lately.

Level 22
Watch Life After People that shows what would happen when humans disappear. Actually the situation in Japan gives some idea except for if a more serious case of catastrophy - people desert an area, electricity shuts down, internet dies. This can happen to 1 place and consequently to all that use electricty. So it's not immportal doh

in order to define death.. u have to define life....
which many people draw the line at self replicability... which computer virus's can do...., although the internet itself doesnt quite fall into this catagory... some of the stuff on it does..., although the same can be said about humans making our cells living but not us... (we dont replicate our cells/sperm/eggs do)
others define death simply as a change in state inwhich reverting to the origional state is impossible

@ dead people dieing...
depends wherre u define death.. medically people have died and been brought back via paddles...
in the end are we really alive? who knows

@ the internet dieing, asuming you were being figurative.. it is possible, if ALL the computers on the internet were destroyed that it would be dead... there are plenty of intra-nets that would likely expand (eventually linking together to become internet 2.0). although there are several key servers.. that if were taken down the internet as you know it would prettymuch cease... (you could still connect to people, but only through IP..

Level 30
I find this intriguing and I do had a meaning for necroposting this but.

There is no single person or organization in charge of the Internet. There are organizations which develop the technical aspects of this network and set standards for creating applications on it, but no governing body is in control. The "Internet backbone", a matrix of high speed lines through which Internet traffic flows, is owned by private companies or funded by governments of some countries. Likewise to my country the Philippines, It had no Internet backbone but is linked to the US-Japan backbone.

Level 6
Can you just stop debating about the meaning of word immortal it's just a phrase there's no point in arguing whether it should be applied to inanimate objects or not everyone gets the meaning anyway :D. And if you look upon the concept of a sentient machine, anything that's self dependent and aware of its own existence should be labeled as life, even if a synthetic one, life is a wide concept, don't narrow it down to the idea of carbon based life as we know it, there are many posibilities, even with today's scientific knowledge it has been said there could theoretically exist sillicon based life(althought it would evolve much slower), and there is yet more to discover, we don't know for sure how many elements exist out there, and our planet, bah! our solar system is mereley but a grain of sand on a vast beach that is called universe. For all we know our type of life might be as well a rarity amongst all the living things out there(thought highly unlikely xD)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.