• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How do you remove terrain deformation from War Stomp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
I'm trying to create a custom range ability where the ability is cast on a point, and units in range of the casting point are stunned for a period of time.

I figured neutral hostile War Stomp was the best approach to this. I set the values of 'Data - Terrain Deformation Amplitude' and 'Data - Terrain Deformation Duration (ms)' to 0.00, but a small terrain deformation still occurs. Any help?

Level 8
I'll do some more tests in a bit but nothing I've tried so far has worked. If you're really keen on avoiding deformation, perhaps it would be better to just have a dummy unit cast some different ability. Creating a dummy for each unit in the area at the center of the area and having them all throw a storm bolt with no projectile art and huge projectile speed could work conceivably.

Level 25
I heard that the effect only lasts as long as the unit casting it, so have a dummy unit cast the ability and remove it right after it casts the ability? Unit - Add timed Life, say 0.5 seconds or so.

Level 8
Base it on 'AOsw', that's the Tauren Chief warstomp. Uncheck Stats - Hero Ability.

Not an option because this will cause terrain deformation. Which creates a leak.

I'll do some more tests in a bit but nothing I've tried so far has worked. If you're really keen on avoiding deformation, perhaps it would be better to just have a dummy unit cast some different ability. Creating a dummy for each unit in the area at the center of the area and having them all throw a storm bolt with no projectile art and huge projectile speed could work conceivably.

I like this idea. How would I create a dummy per unit in range, and then remove each one?

I heard that the effect only lasts as long as the unit casting it, so have a dummy unit cast the ability and remove it right after it casts the ability? Unit - Add timed Life, say 0.5 seconds or so.

So you're saying the leak caused by the terrain deformation only lasts as long as the unit is still in-game? So adding the expiration timer to the unit will fix this issue?

Level 19
Not an option because this will cause terrain deformation. Which creates a leak.
No it does not create a terrain deformation.

Rip it out of this resource Stun Engine if you have problems setting up the ability by yourself.

So you're saying the leak caused by the terrain deformation only lasts as long as the unit is still in-game? So adding the expiration timer to the unit will fix this issue?
nonesense.

Edit:
If you need a custom stun system, you can use the Stun Enigne. It is a pretty solid resource.

Level 8

Nah, that didn't work when I tested it. Even with .01 seconds between casting and removal the deformation showed fully.

I like this idea. How would I create a dummy per unit in range, and then remove each one?

Here's how I'd do it:

• Simulate Stomp
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to RangedWarstomp (dummy)
    • Actions
      • Set TempPoint = ((Target point of ability being cast) offset by (0.00, 0.00))
      • Set TempUnitGroup = (Units within 500.00 of TempPoint matching (((Owner of (Matching unit)) is an enemy of (Owner of (Triggering unit))) Equal to True))
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in TempUnitGroup and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Unit - Create 1 Dummy Caster for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) at TempPoint facing Default building facing degrees
          • Unit - Set level of Real Warstomp Stun and damage Spell for (Last created unit) to (Level of Ranged Warstomp (dummy) for (Triggering unit))
          • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Neutral - Hurl Boulder (Picked unit)
          • Unit - Add a 2.00 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)
      • Custom script: call DestroyGroup (udg_TempUnitGroup)
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation (udg_TempPoint)
I think I'd actually use Hurl Boulder rather than storm bolt out of laziness. This trigger assumes the AoE you want is 500. And also that you don't want the stomp to affect allies. And also that the stomp's damage or stun or both is leveled (make sure to level hurl boulder appropriately).

If I were you, I'd probably give Hurl Boulder slightly longer range than the stomp is supposed to have just in case.

Level 8
Because Triggering or whatever unit is a function call... variables are faster...

Interesting.

Yeah, it's more efficient. But you won't notice any difference, honestly...

Thanks for the help, Melth. Your idea worked perfectly.

BPower, I still see the deformation in the terrain in-game when using that war stomp. But there's no leak?

Level 15
It's ugly and probably not want is desired for the effect. Also I believe terrain deformations increase the chance of a desync if people are on different OS or have different graphic settings.

Level 8
I'm trying to create a custom range ability where the ability is cast on a point, and units in range of the casting point are stunned for a period of time.

I figured neutral hostile War Stomp was the best approach to this. I set the values of 'Data - Terrain Deformation Amplitude' and 'Data - Terrain Deformation Duration (ms)' to 0.00, but a small terrain deformation still occurs. Any help?

The effect is inbult option of model.
You must remove it from model.

Level 19
It's ugly and probably not want is desired for the effect. Also I believe terrain deformations increase the chance of a desync if people are on different OS or have different graphic settings.
Dr. Super Good mentioned that somewhere, but I have never experienced it myself. Might be a wc3 myth.
Thanks for the help, Melth. Your idea worked perfectly.
I give up ...

Level 8
BPower said:
I give up ...

There is a terrain deformation with 'AOsw', BPower... It's in the model itself. If you don't believe me, try using it. The Stun Engine you linked me has the terrain deformation too!

Melth's method worked perfectly, and there is no terrain deformation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.