• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How do YOU choose your models?

How do YOU choose your models?

• Import all the ones that look good!

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Choose ones that look good then eliminate them!

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Look based on lore and balancing a race!

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • Mainly use Blizzard-created models!

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Other/Tell Us in Comments!

Votes: 4 15.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
I had some extra time and got to thinking of what the most popular way to choose models for a map is... so I decided to make a thread

For me, I just choose all the models that look good then decide between them... usually leads to unbalanced melee/ranged/mage/air units though so probably not the best way... how do YOU choose your models?

Level 12
I just get ones that fit in with what I'm trying to make, not necessarily the best looking ones. Although I try to find ones that fit both categories. I also try to look at ones that are economical in terms of file size, I don't want half my map size taken by models.

Level 12
I think that the 3rd one is the best way, along with InfiniteSevens, but I just get carried away and can't do it that way

Level 9
Blizzards own models and the once who are "Blizzard-like".

I do the same, I only use models that uses ingame textures and looks "Blizzard-like"

I hardly never use a model that uses custom textures.
A hero model - 250 kb at the most
A building model - 180 kb at the most
A unit model - 150 kb at the most
A worker model - 230 kb at the most - worker models are hard to come by and you have to use whatever you can find if it suits your needs.
Pretty much - anything over 250 kb will never be seen in my map.

That is why I like modellers like Callahan a bunch.
They make the most of what Warcraft III has given them to work with.

For example: I would never do like the author of this map
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...bay-180941/?prev=t=41&search=race&r=20&d=list
24 models that take over 250 kb space.
Those 24 models total filesize: 11.5 mb

My project ( pictures of all unit models I use ):
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/map-development-202/marshland-mystery-180862/
0 models that take over 250 kb space
The entire maps filesize: 3.2 mb

Level 19
I'd love choosing realistic models with maybe not so much of a poly count, but a lot of it wouldn't hurt if the model looks good:)

Status
Not open for further replies.