• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How do protoss people talk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like a nice life.

Random Protoss dude: Honey! I'm home! The war is over!
Random Protoss wife: Oh I'm so glad to see yo-- Wait, where's your body?
RPD: Oh I died, so they had me incrusted into this giant robot. So are we gonna have sex or something soon?
RPW: Ugh... You DO know you're technically not a man anymore, right?
RPD: But honey, we can still-
RPW: No way, I am NOT having sex with a robot. I am sooo leaving you.

Level 10
Actually they can have sex. Since all the body of protoss dude is in the robot. They can make an exit for the *#secretwordhere#* at the bottom of the robot somewhere. So female one can still have sex but some jelly like thing will spew at there :p.( not the *#secretwordhere#*, its the slimey thing in the robotic body)

Level 35
.....Well the giant robotic body could technically be considered a giant sex toy....and with protoss advaced tech a probe with psycic nerve connections could stimulate the protoss male while inside the robotic construct....

But thats just a theory.

I think they'll go with Telepathy.

1- Because Protoss are very psionic/psychopathicyness
2- Because it's a cliche used in LOADS of other series, including pokemon

But if they think up of your theory, we might be saved from this terrible cliche.

EDIT: Shit.
Wikipedia said:
They can communicate telepathically with one another, even over long distances
Wikipedia said:
Protoss also have long neural strands sprouting from the back of their heads. These strands are what keep Protoss connected to the universal Protoss psychic 'network'
Wikipedia said:
The Xel’Naga liked the Protoss, as they seemed near perfection already, and were especially impressed by their telepathy, called a psionic link.

Level 35
DARN!!! And I thought there was hope for an anti cliche'.

Oh well...mabye they will retcon a vibration theory in. Afterall it seems to make a little more sense than telepathy.

But the real question.

If they were once a hunter society...then they hunted....how do they eat, drink, or smell?

EDIT: Apparently they can drink water (but how is unknown) they hunted only for the blood and hides of animals (not sustenence) and they smell and hear through their skin, and they are photosynthetic!

According to http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Protoss

Last edited:
Level 26
I think they'll go with Telepathy.

1- Because Protoss are very psionic/psychopathicyness
2- Because it's a cliche used in LOADS of other series, including pokemon

But if they think up of your theory, we might be saved from this terrible cliche.

EDIT: Shit.
Telepathy != Talking. While it IS a possibility that they communicate by way of the mind, there is still the possibility that their apparent talking is by some other means, which would explain why they would bother making a portrait animation for talking that actually moves the head.

Level 8
As you know already they talk with Telepathy, I noticed that when some of them talk (telepathicly), their eyes flash either blue or orange. So yeah.

Level 8
Yeah when I played Starcraft, their eyes always change color when they "talk."

Level 26
Telepathy's been confirmed, okay? They talk with their minds, we know that now.

Now we have to find out how they breath/drink/eat.
I know telepathy's been confirmed, okay? I'm just saying that it's but one way to communicate. There's still the possibility that they talk, seeing as they could talk to dark templar, who have severed their neural strands and therefore separated themselves from the psychic network that the protoss have. While it IS a possibility that the telepathy can work for people outside the network, it is but one possibility.

I think the psychic network is only for "sharing" thoughts, like an easy way to reach anyone or everyone.

But I'm pretty sure those who've quit the network can communicate together, it's just more limited, as in, one person at a time, or maybe only people who are close.
That would have the same limitations as regular speech though...

Level 26
I feel this is somewhat related to the thread, because it has been discussed before.
http://www.battle.net/forums/thread.aspx?fn=sc2-general&t=60845&p=1&#post60845 said:
Protoss gain nutrition from sunlight, or at a pinch, moonlight (which is just reflected sunlight anyway) by absorbing through their skins. They can go for extended periods without absorbing sunlight. What little moisture they need is also absorbed through their skin.

While I'm at it, I want to clear something up.
I think the psychic network is only for "sharing" thoughts, like an easy way to reach anyone or everyone.

But I'm pretty sure those who've quit the network can communicate together, it's just more limited, as in, one person at a time, or maybe only people who are close.
That would have the same limitations as regular speech though...
Yes, but this isn't definite and still would be a theory until confirmed.

Level 5
i found out what they eat
5. What do the Protoss eat? (where do they get energy and mass?) (starcraftcz.com)

Protoss gain nutrition from sunlight, or at a pinch, moonlight (which is just reflected sunlight anyway) by absorbing through their skins. They can go for extended periods without absorbing sunlight. What little moisture they need is also absorbed through their skin.

http://www.battle.net/forums/thread.aspx?fn=sc2-general&t=60845&p=1&#post60845

Level 25
Alright.. So now we know how they talk and have sex.. Right..

But how do exactly Zerg replant themselfs? Does the hives work as egg producers- who produces larvas in a slow rate - which changes to eggs - which changes to slimeys.

Level 13
@LordDz, the hatcheries (and later upgraded versions) act as egg producers. They are designed specificaly for this purpose. however, as they must produce larva for the hive, they must wait for the larva to mature (thats my guess anyway) before allowing them to see sunlight (and then undergo maturation into your typical zerg unit. Im not sure what the "Queen" unit does, but im sure it doesnt have the needed biological systems to create that many larvae while flying around. Another theory is there are queens inside the hatcheries creating the eggs (then the larvae).

Of course these are all theories, I don't have any facts to back me up.

Level 13
Well, doesn't the name "HATCHERY" already kind of give it away? The Eggs are produced there (maybe the building makes them, I mean they're all organic and alive), and when the eggs hatch the larva crawl to the surface. That's how I atleast think it is.

Level 2
Notice when Zealots talk they give off red flashes of light on their necks? IMO that's how they talk.

Other than that, maybe they really are telepathic beings...

Level 11
Here are overall information about protossi, gathered from this thread:

-Communication:
--Talking = protossi use telepathy by "connecting to the main telepathy network, sending their message and attaching the "address" of the person they want to send the message to". Some "addresses" are forbidden. Telepathy is proceeded with help of the protossi almighty will. If a protoss' body part flashes or moves during transmission, it means that communication is a very hard process and protossi strain every nerve to telepathy, that might even cause a metal voice to sound from their head. So, those actions are done... unwillingthly. However, telepathy process doesn't take much time. No, Massive_attack, protoss can't know what you think of, so don't worry. But there may be some protossi with very hard will that allows them to read a mind (it would be a very hard process, though), but you can resist that using your will.

-Sex
--Sex = Female protoss exist, but they are not often warriors. Protossi have sex as any human does. I decided that because protossi wear bands on their legs to cover organs that would be not decent to show on public.

-Eating/Sleeping/Hunting
--Feeding = Protossi don't eat, but they have special organs in their body to convert sunlight or any light into energy.
--Sleeping = Protossi do sleep, but it's hard to notice, because their eyes still open. A protoss' body doesn't have rest while sleeping, but mind. Some special protossi who have very hard will never sleep (they can even make a warp shield around them to reflect an attack).
--Hunting = Protossi hunted for animal's hide (for clothes) and bones.

The plural form of Protoss is Protoss, not Protossi :#
Anyways, they aren't really your theories, either.

Alot of what you said is from Wikipedia and the Starcraft Wikia.
And, they aren't theories because they have sources.

Thanks for correction.

Last edited:
Level 5
Here are my theories about protossi:

-Communication:
--Talking = protossi use telepathy by "connecting to the main telepathy network, sending their message and attaching the "address" of the person they want to send the message to". Some "addresses" are forbidden. Telepathy is proceeded with help of the protossi almighty will. If a protoss' body part flashes or moves during transmission, it means that communication is a very hard process and protossi strain every nerve to telepathy, that might even cause a metal voice to sound from their head. So, those actions are done... unwillingthly. However, telepathy process doesn't take much time. No, Massive_attack, protoss can't know what you think of, so don't worry. But there may be some protossi with very hard will that allows them to read a mind (it would be a very hard process, though), but you can resist that using your will.

-Sex
--Sex = Female protoss exist, but they are not often warriors. Protossi have sex as any human does. I decided that because protossi wear bands on their legs to cover organs that would be not decent to show on public.

-Eating/Sleeping/Hunting
--Feeding = Protossi don't eat, but they have special organs in their body to convert sunlight or any light into energy.
--Sleeping = Protossi do sleep, but it's hard to notice, because their eyes still open. A protoss' body doesn't have rest while sleeping, but mind. Some special protossi who have very hard will never sleep (they can even make a warp shield around them to reflect an attack).
--Hunting = Protossi hunted for animal's hide (for clothes) and bones.

The plural form of Protoss is Protoss, not Protossi :#
Anyways, they aren't really your theories, either.

Alot of what you said is from Wikipedia and the Starcraft Wikia.
And, they aren't theories because they have sources.

Status
Not open for further replies.