• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How do i make icons???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Hello I have been working with Editor, for long time now. But i don't know how to make my own icons?
I have heard that you only need a program witch name i think was somthing like Photografer. But im not sure.
Can anyone please help explain to me how you easy can make your own icons. Maby link and tell me what i need to download for making my icons.
(I do not buy any programs for it. This means that it has to be free and of cause legal to download and use)

To make a WARCRAFT icon, here is what you want.
Since you want free and legal, I recommend downloading GIMP. It is like an advanced paint program. Of course, it is free.

After you get that, You will want to download the Warcraft 3 Viewer from the tools section of this site. Basically you will need that to convert your icon's format (Hopefully a "*TGA") into the warcraft's icon format "*BLP".

I also recommend downloading some kind of warcraft MPQ browser. Like Mago's Model Editor or the Image Extractor (Both should be on this site)
Note: you will not need this to make icons, it is just helpful.

For starters, i would take an existing icon, Use the WC3 Viewer to convert it to a "*TGA" and open it with gimp. Erase the entire icon excluding the border. Add the border to a different layer that can be turned off and on. Create your image, and apply the border.
The icon with the border should be named/saved as: BTN(name of your icon).Tga

Turn off the border, and use the darken tool with a strength of about 4-13 and darken the entire icon and around the border.
This will be named/saved as: DISBTN(Name of your icon).Tga

Unless the icon is for an ability, those are the only icons you will need. In the case that the icon is an aura or passive ability, you will leave the icon normal and without a border, and darken the outside.
This will be named/saved as: PASBTN(Name of your icon).Tga

Note: After finishing all the icons, you will want to convert them all back to the "*BLP" format. Do this using the WC3 Viewer. Use a lower compression level (43) for lower file sizes.

I hope this helps you. For the actual iconing, refer to those tutorials. They will help you a lot.

Level 10
with Gimp (and I assume other paint programs) you can also scale your image from, for example, 640 x 640 (which is what I just recently started doing) drawing your desired image and then scaling it down to 64 x 64. another useful tool for mac users who cant download wc3 viewer is BLP tools BLP Tools 0.1 (v2) - The Hive Workshop - A Warcraft III Modding Site which allows you to convert .tga into .blp and vice versa.

Level 19
===[STARwars55]===
1.there is a tool that you just need to put your images on a folder and the tool will automatically transform it into a BLP File
2.NoobinJass know a site that is use in making an icon just simply select the image and a BLP file will show
3.use Photoshop

===[Optional]===
Give me a Photo or Image then i will turn it into icon

pretty wierd XD

Status
Not open for further replies.