• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

how can i run a disk check on a non system disk before starting windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
i am still not closer to figuring out how i can run checkdisk on the d: drive during startup. running it in windows causes a blue screen. i want to be able to use both of my harddrives but i need to fix the d: drive because it is too unstable to use(virtual memory was shifted to use the c: drive to compensate).

Level 13
In case you have issues with linux(obviously there is no way that you could use that stuff), you can run chkdsk from a live windows booted from DVD or USB(aka installer), or google for "bootable USB diagnostic tools" or something like that, you'll get thousands of results(still you'd have to burn it to a cd or usb). Ultimately you can use your current install by entering recovery mode and using command prompt there. Google for "How To Access Recovery Options in Windows <Number goes here>", take your time searching solutions and solving shit for yourself, I won't give exact steps like you expect everytime *evil laugh intensifies*.

By the way andreas, accidentally, really, is there any slight chance that you ever considered moving somewhere far deep into the woods/hills? Isolated from society most preferably without access to any forms of electrical communication... Wouldn't that be the dream? Living at a nice place, in a small house, sitting next to the fireplace in a comfy chair.. And most importantly living for your rest of the life without bothering anyone ever again. Sounds really good right?

Level 21
i do not need to recover anything, the data is still there. the harddrive have damaged sectors which usually happens to laptops as they get older. i just need to run checkdisk. please tell me how i can run it before windows starts. why provide extensive solutions when it is not needed?

Level 13
Level 13
recovery is not needed because there is nothing to recover, just something to repair. please tell me howto run checkdisk at startup so that i can finally get my laptop repaired.

Its not like a software will fix hardware problems yknow, best it can do is flag a bad sector in the filesystem.

I'll say it again and for the last time(I know understanding is not your strongest), recovery options have many tools, such as command prompt. Using command prompt you can run chkdsk.

Last edited:
Level 13
In case you have issues with linux(obviously there is no way that you could use that stuff), you can run chkdsk from a live windows booted from DVD or USB(aka installer), or google for "bootable USB diagnostic tools" or something like that, you'll get thousands of results(still you'd have to burn it to a cd or usb). Ultimately you can use your current install by entering recovery mode and using command prompt there. Google for "How To Access Recovery Options in Windows <Number goes here>

Level 21
for the last time: there is nothing to recover. recovery mode is to recover lost data which i do not have. i need to scan for bad sectors and flag them using checkdisk. please stop suggesting recovery options as no amount of recovery is going to help me flag bad sectors. please tell me how i can schedule a scan of a non system disk at startup.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

With the system repair disk I suggested, you have access to command prompt as well :) There, you can schedule it.

Level 13
for the last time: there is nothing to recover. recovery mode is to recover lost data which i do not have. i need to scan for bad sectors and flag them using checkdisk. please stop suggesting recovery options as no amount of recovery is going to help me flag bad sectors. please tell me how i can schedule a scan of a non system disk at startup.

please stop talking shit seriously. You're like an average user, have absolutely no idea what the fuck you're doing, which is okay. What is not okay is that you never ever try the given solutions cause for some reason you don't like something and start your stubborn retarded session. What if I told you that you can even run applications in recovery mode? You didn't expect this coming right? This is why I told you to use recovery, but your autism just kicks in everytime.

Last edited:
Level 21
i have actually studied windows along with powerpoint, excel, word and a few other things. you are suggesting recovery which i do not need. recovery is not going to mark bad sectors. it would have helped if i had lost data but i have not. you underestimate me. i have no autism. i tried being reasonable but it is clear that you are just a troll. i give you one more chance to help me and if you keep trolling then i will report you.

Level 13
I haven't underestimated you, not even a bit. I'm well avare about that your understanding and basic skills are below level zero. Recovery options is not just about recovery, it is a set of diagnostic tools which you just cannot comprehend as it seems.

Last edited:
Level 21
then you have underestimated me completely. my understanding is good. people actually come to me for help with computers. i have used recovery tools on other pcs and know what i am talking about. i have reinstalled windows countless times though most of them was on a single laptop as windows kept crashing. i had no recovery tools there but i could still mark bad sectors. i will stop feeding the troll. please tell me what i want to know, how do i run checkdisk at startup?

Level 13
I just wonder, if you're such a great IT guy also you have actually used the above mentioned tools, how come that you can't even do this yourself? Why is that even such an easy task as searching for solutions yourself using a simple search site on the internet causes problems for you? Even when you start thinking about your computer everything goes haywire.

I personally gave you 4 ways to run disk checking tools without booting your OS itself, others have also linked articles and sites which contain proper information and help. On the other hand you're here and still going on about "I don' need no recovery".

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Guys help him out and stop trolling him. Would it be funny if you were being trolled when asking for help here? I thought hive was a friendly website.

Level 13
Actually, there is a slight chance of a 5th option(which is probably he is expecting), run "chkdsk <Drive letter here> /r". In case the drive is in use it will ask you if you want to schedule it to run on next startup. This information I just accidentally stumbled upon as this is not mentioned on most sites. However as he wants to run it on a non-system partition it will likely not ask to restart, instead it will start to run immediately(which he doesn't want). I did not find any switch to explicitly tell it to run at startup otherwise. Probably it is possible using some mumbo-jumbo command line magic, but I have actually no idea about it and even if I knew how I would never recommend that to him as he would sure set his pc ablaze rather.

Still the easiest and sure way with inbuilt tools is to enter recovery and run chkdsk from command prompt there. The problem here is simple: Andreass just simply refuses to acknowledge the fact that he can do this from recovery.

Last edited:
Level 21
i have no recovery particion on that pc. one thing i have considered is to make the d: drive so occupied that the tool can not run from windows. i would prefer an easier solution however(that would enable me to just get it to run). as it takes time i cannot start repairing it until friday evening(as i need the pc before that).

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Here is the command manual for chkdsk (check disk). If the drive is currently mounted the check will be scheduled automatically for next startup.

If the computer cannot start up (BSoD on start up) and is Windows 8 or earlier then try starting in safe mode and running the command there. If this is not possible then there is no other solution but to use a recovery media.

If the computer cannot start up and is Windows 10 or later then you can use the operating system recovery tools which load after a BSoD occurs during multiple boot attempts. From these tools one can schedule a chkdsk. One can also restore the OS to factory defaults using the Windows 10 backup partition (which should not have been corrupted as it is never mounted in the OS and should not damage user files).

Level 21
i can start the pc without issues but damaged harddrive sectors renders the d: completely useless and i have had to rerout even virtual memory to c:. i want to flag the damaged sectors on the d: drive so that i can use it once more. i checked the link and its information is rather lacking and only shows how to use the program if i am already on the command prompt which i am not.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Unwatch thread, right side of screen below the title bar (use Ctrl+F if doesn't catch the eye).

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
i can start the pc without issues but damaged harddrive sectors renders the d: completely useless and i have had to rerout even virtual memory to c:. i want to flag the damaged sectors on the d: drive so that i can use it once more. i checked the link and its information is rather lacking and only shows how to use the program if i am already on the command prompt which i am not.
If the operating system has loaded you can access the command prompt. If you can access the command prompt you can use the manual page I linked to schedule check disk on the drive. It will run next time the computer starts automatically if the drive cannot be unmounted, otherwise it will run inside the operating system at full efficiency.

Of course if the drive is suffering a catastrophic failure then chkdsk cannot repair it. If the drive is mechanical check its SMART information as that might shed some light as to what is happening. If the drive is a solid state disk then it may have suffered from controller table corruption in which case a manufacturer specific procedure is needed to forcefully repair the controller tables. Solid state disks cannot have corrupted sectors due to the way they operate, their controller will automatically mask any faulty blocks with spare blocks used for wear balancing.

If the operating system has not loaded then the other stuff I said applies.
If the computer cannot start up (BSoD on start up) and is Windows 8 or earlier then try starting in safe mode and running the command there. If this is not possible then there is no other solution but to use a recovery media.

If the computer cannot start up and is Windows 10 or later then you can use the operating system recovery tools which load after a BSoD occurs during multiple boot attempts. From these tools one can schedule a chkdsk. One can also restore the OS to factory defaults using the Windows 10 backup partition (which should not have been corrupted as it is never mounted in the OS and should not damage user files).
If chkdsk cannot find or fix the problem with the partition try reformatting it. If it still has problems after reformatting then consider buying a replacement as the one you have is almost certainly faulty.

Level 21
that will just run it directly which again will result in a bluescreen because i am running it from windows. there is no major problem, just so many bad sectors that trying to access it cause it to get stuck on loading. i can not simply replace the d: drive wuthout also losing the c: drive. is there no will to help me here?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
that will just run it directly which again will result in a bluescreen because i am running it from windows. there is no major problem, just so many bad sectors that trying to access it cause it to get stuck on loading. i can not simply replace the d: drive wuthout also losing the c: drive. is there no will to help me here?
Reformat the entire D partition. If chkdsk crashes when run on the partition it is possible the partition data structures have become so corrupted there is really nothing one can do to save it.

Level 21
for the last time it is not corrupted. i have no trouble accessing data in the good sectors. software have changed a lot since windows 98. windows 98 handled bad sectors better and stopped trying to access them, while windows 7 will keep trying to access them and therefore lock up. i have dealt with bad sectors many times before so i know what i am doing. checkdisk is all i need to fix it but i need to run it on the d: drive which is not a system drive. please tell me how.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
checkdisk is all i need to fix it but i need to run it on the d: drive which is not a system drive. please tell me how.
Here is the command manual for chkdsk (check disk). If the drive is currently mounted the check will be scheduled automatically for next startup.
If it BSoDs when you run the command from the command line targeting the D drive then it is highly likely the drive is corrupted beyond recovery.

Windows should not lockup when it encounters a corrupted file sector, instead it should return a prompt notifying that a file is corrupted. It should only BSoD if it encounters majorly corrupted partition as the file system drivers could crash.

SSDs which have damaged blocks are usually classed as end of life and need replacement as the storage controller guarantees the OS that no blocks are damaged (entire storage range is usable). Mechanical drives with damaged blocks have either been exposed to physical stress (eg dropped in a laptop) or are reaching end of life and need replacement.

If the corruption was the result of sudden power loss when using a mechanical drive then it is only partition/data corruption, no physical blocks are damaged as the head should be in a safe position when powered down. With SSDs in a similar situation it is possible that a controller table corruption has occurred in which case consult the manufacturer as to how to reset the controller state or replace with a new one.

Last edited:
Level 21
could you please tell me directly how to do it instead of directing me to a website where i have to learn lots of new stuff. the drive have never been corrupted. there is no corrupted sectors, just bad sectors. bad sectors is physical damages and not file systen damages. if i see the word corruption one more time i will report you.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
could you please tell me directly how to do it instead of directing me to a website where i have to learn lots of new stuff.
Open command line, choosing to run the application as an administrator. Then type...

chkdsk D: /r

Then hit enter to run the command. It should not run an exhaustive check disk on drive D, dealing with any bad sectors that are encountered. This may take some time. If the drive cannot be unmounted it will prompt to schedule it for next start up.

In Windows 10 you can get to "Command Prompt" (command line) by right clicking the start button. It even has a shortcut for running it as administrator. Earlier versions of windows still have it but you will need to locate it manually. Usually it is located in the accessories folder. If you want to start it directly you can run the "cmd" (without "") application. Make sure it is run as an administrator or it might not have sufficient privileges to run chkdsk.

there is no corrupted sectors, just bad sectors. bad sectors is physical damages and not file systen damages.
How do you know? If you have never run check disk on the drive, as this topic implies, then how do you know there are any bad sectors. Only mechanical drives can really have bad sectors, if SSD is showing bad sectors then it has reached end of life as SSD storage controllers automatically remap physical blocks as part of load balancing (there is no direct connection from logical block to physical block). I will keep mentioning SSD stuff until you can confirm if your drive is mechanical or a SSD just to be safe.

if i see the word corruption one more time i will report you.
Such threats are not constructive...

Level 21
i have run checkdisk plenty of times and i used it to fix drive c:. i never use ssd harddrives because of their limited lifespan. here is an interesting fact: checkdisk was removed in favor of scandisk in later version of dos. then later versions of windows removed scandisk in favor of checkdisk(know checkdisk was present in xp but wether it was present in 2000 i do not know because i never ran disk scans in 2000). i want to run checkdisk without windows running in the background, during startup. please tell me how i can du that.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
i want to run checkdisk without windows running in the background, during startup. please tell me how i can du that.
Open command line, choosing to run the application as an administrator. Then type...

Then hit enter to run the command. It should not run an exhaustive check disk on drive D, dealing with any bad sectors that are encountered. This may take some time. If the drive cannot be unmounted it will prompt to schedule it for next start up.

In Windows 10 you can get to "Command Prompt" (command line) by right clicking the start button. It even has a shortcut for running it as administrator. Earlier versions of windows still have it but you will need to locate it manually. Usually it is located in the accessories folder. If you want to start it directly you can run the "cmd" (without "") application. Make sure it is run as an administrator or it might not have sufficient privileges to run chkdsk.
Running it with or without the OS loaded makes no difference. If it needs to run without the OS loaded it will prompt you. If it does not prompt you such then there is no need to run it without the OS being loaded as it will make no difference to the quality or results of the scan.

The scan before the OS loads is only needed for partitions that are required by the kernel and so cannot be unmounted during operating system operation. Other partitions can be unmounted and so can be scanned perfectly from within the operating system.

Level 21
the problem i encountered when trying to scan from within windows was that i got a blue screen when scanning drive d: (it is likely fixed however by using c for vitual memory which used both before). windows will never prioritise scanning for bad sectors for some reason. windows 95 and 98 did however. i also do not want the pc to generate lots of heat while i am scanning it. i do want to scan both c and d at the same time just in case the last scan missed something.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
What module is causing the BSoD? Maybe it has nothing to do with the D drive.

Bad sectors are very rare with modern mechanical drives unless they have been physically abused or are as a result of imminent failure. If a bad sector is encountered the driver should automatically deal with it hence why it is low priority.

In any case you can try...
Code:
fsutil dirty set D:
This should force checkdisk to run. If it does not work try...
Code:
fsutil dirty set D:
Then restart computer. If the bit remains set then checkdisk should automatically run on the drive at startup.

What you are after is running Autochk. As the document describes it will only run in 3 conditions.
  1. If you try to run Chkdsk on the boot volume
  2. If Chkdsk cannot gain exclusive use of the volume
  3. If the volume is flagged as dirty
The D parition cannot trigger 1 as D is not the boot volume. D probably cannot trigger 2 as well, although having virtual memory on it might. The above method should trigger 3.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
any good idea for how i can trigger that?
No idea at all. Your request is very obscure and as such it might not be possible to force trigger 2. I would recommend forcing trigger 3 as that is how Autochk has run for me in the past.

As a rough guess trigger 2 occurs if the volume is in use by some other chkdsk like program or if the volume is not physically available during startup such as a network mounted volume or if special drivers are need to mount the volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.