• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hive Spirituality Poll

Do you consider yourself religious?

• Very Religious

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Atheist

Votes: 52 40.3%
  • Religious

Votes: 22 17.1%
  • Not Really... (leaning towards no)

Votes: 23 17.8%
  • I Practice a Non-Theistic Religion

Votes: 13 10.1%
  • I Don't Know...

Votes: 9 7.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 22
And so you proceed even further down the very same path I turned around from when I said thus to you: "I'll talk to you when you are capable of being talkable-to"...

Giving up, and "Not wasting time on an effort that is both fruitless, and will merely lead to the unnecessary disturbance of my peaceful, good day", are different things indeed.

>_>

That was not what you said.

Elenai said:
Since I can't convince you of the existence of blue, or the implications thereof: I'll agree to disagree, and leave you to the grey illusion of your choice til such a time when you are ready to discuss colours again, which I assume, will be when your ability to comprehend them efficiently, and especially correctly occurs.
That seems like you're trying to disqualify my arguments by saying I cannot comprehend it, and that I'm not correct etc. WITHOUT giving reasonable arguments as to why. That seems like a typical loser statement.

"[thoughts]Damnit, I lost, but I can't tell him that.[/thoughs]
You cannot comprehend what I'm talking about and so I'll leave you to your illusions."
That's what I get from your sentence. I've been in many discussions and at the end of every discussion I can see in their eyes that they can't come up with any counterarguments to what I just said, and then they just say 'You cannot comprehend what I'm talking about anyway and what you think is wrong.' and then they just leave. I'm sorry to say this, and I don't like using these words, but it makes you sound like a sore loser.
Also, I'm the one who have read history books to back up my arguments, you have used mostly your faith. Facts > Faith.

Now, before it gets totally out of hand lets just stop it here. You have already said you don't want to discuss this anymore in your own way, and I think that's a good solution. I don't want to discuss it anymore because I have already accomplished what I tried to do.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

I've been in many discussions and at the end of every discussion I can see in their eyes that they can't come up with any counterarguments to what I just said

The emotion you sense in their eyes is the desire to beat you up, and the statement after is because they behave themselves and end what otherwise would've become violent. When you toss the sore loser accusation back at them you just fuel the fire. You're just lucky people execute self-control.

.. but you're too arrogant to understand.

.. [/off-topic]

As for faith; Blizzard would probably never finish any games if they had no faith they'd finish it. They got a lot of faith, and their fan base has a lot of faith in them, that's how they survive.

Level 22
The emotion you sense in their eyes is the desire to beat you up, and the statement after is because they behave themselves and end what otherwise would've become violent. When you toss the sore loser accusation back at them you just fuel the fire. You're just lucky people execute self-control.

.. but you're too arrogant to understand.

.. [/off-topic]

As for faith; Blizzard would probably never finish any games if they had no faith they'd finish it. They got a lot of faith, and their fan base has a lot of faith in them, that's how they survive.

Hahah, you use that on me? You're the one who always say that "I'm right anyway, and you know nothing" when we have discussions, and you almost never execute self control (you like to kick and punch me). But you have bad memory so you probably can't remember. I however, have been granted the gift of awesome memory.

Oh, and that's not what I see in their eyes. Usually when people no longer want to debate they don't end by saying "you're wrong, but you're to arrogant and stupid to realise that", they just say they don't want to argue anymore, but maybe another time.

Level 22
Arguing is fun when you know what you're talking about and you're 99 (or more)% sure you're correct. Or if you know you're wrong and just want to mess with people (not what I do). If you have no idea about what's being discussed it's not that fun anymore. Oh, and it's not fun if you lose.

Arguing is fun when you know what you're talking about and you're 99 (or more)% sure you're correct. Or if you know you're wrong and just want to mess with people (not what I do). If you have no idea about what's being discussed it's not that fun anymore. Oh, and it's not fun if you lose.

Well if you were almost 100 percent sure that your what your saying is right (and your sources are correct in themselves) then there wouldn't be an argument then right? You'd be absolute and could quickly counter any opposition.

The poll needs a "maltheist" option. I hate the idea of a God and think anyone who believes in such a thing is either brainwashed, stupid or similar.

Maltheist = Atheist
Did the poll ever ask what you think of what others think? No. Does that effect what you think about your personal (hence personal) spirituality? No. If you don't believe in the notion of a deity, then you don't believe in the notion of a deity.

Honestly, other people respect your opinion, care to show a little respect back?

Level 10
This will just turn into Atheist vs Religion fight.

Anyway, I'm Atheist. And like Reborn said, I believe in things which are proven by scientific methods or by common sense. And I really don't want to argue with anyone cause I am an Atheist. If someone starts to argue with me, I will just report him for being offtopic and for attempt to start flame warz. As WherewolfTherewolf said, this thread is only for knowing who you are and not who others are and if we must disagree with them - take that matter in PM.

Level 13
I am not really sure, but thinking of the lastest comments i have seen people flame others because of their religion (or not religion) and i really think that this thread had another purpose...

Level 25
I don't go to church but i strongly belive in god.

I pray every once in a while and i find it nice to belive he exists.

It is also nice that my religion doesn't require me to go to church, for us god can hear you anywhere, it doesn't matter whether you are in a church or at your home so that is kind of cool.

I am voting religious.

I wonder then why everyone keeps loving Priest or Paladin type of classes. I guess it's because they see the should-be self of theirs devoted to some other existance, an existance that might be true and we are too little to realize.

Thats because they ofer the best healing/restoration abilities. This is essential if you want to survive in hostile area for long.

Level 22
Well if you were almost 100 percent sure that your what your saying is right (and your sources are correct in themselves) then there wouldn't be an argument then right? You'd be absolute and could quickly counter any opposition.
Even if I'm sure I'm correct there are still others who think they are correct or just doubt that I'm correct. And I have quickly countered pretty much every argument I've seen here which have been tossed towards me.

@BlargHong, that poem (or whatever) was win.
:D

Well the thing about Religion is that facts have become subjective. Its a question that can't be answered, there's no actual way to prove or disprove a deity and because of that people's sources of truths are different. For the Religious they say that if a loving deity exists, then any words indirectly from the deity would be true, thus their sacred texts are their sources of truth. For the non-religious they say that a deity doesn't exist, thus everything works on a proven natural law (something like Evolution, etc.) and that anything that says otherwise isn't true.

Since both sides believe their sources are 100% accurate, the other sides argument seems completely logic less and thus they have a natural hostility towards it and argument sparks. Because they believe their sources to be true, neither side can force the other into submission.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

An argument is not necessarily hostile, and even if both sides disagree completely the argument can be useful, because an argument isn't always about coming to a mutual agreement, but to learn from the other. It is a great way to obtain knowledge and understanding. The problem is people that argue in order to win, and/or to blacken the opponent.

An argument is not necessarily hostile, and even if both sides disagree completely the argument can be useful, because an argument isn't always about coming to a mutual agreement, but to learn from the other. It is a great way to obtain knowledge and understanding. The problem is people that argue in order to win, and/or to blacken the opponent.

Well this is (Was thankfully) a Religious argument. With the zeal people fight for atheism and theism I don't see either side taking something constructive from the other.

Most religious arguments normally end up with

The problem is people that argue in order to win, and/or to blacken the opponent.

So yeah, lets take TWIF's lead

Level 13
Well this is (Was thankfully) a Religious argument. With the zeal people fight for atheism and theism I don't see either side taking something constructive from the other.

I picked up some aspects of both Christianity and Buddhism after arguments and learning about them in general, so that's not really true.

Even though i'm an aethist, i think that christans, and muslims and jews all have alot of very stong, good values. while i do not worship god, i do agree very much with Abhramic values. But many seem to shun or mis-interpret them. infact most do, ad thats why alot of people are really angry. Personally i think religon is good. but its also my personal belief that religon has driven some to do evil, and misguided some, and been manipulated by some for their own purposes. I just don't belive in god. But i do agree with alot of Abhramic Values.

Thats just me.

Level 13
Even though i'm an aethist, i think that christans, and muslims and jews all have alot of very stong, good values. while i do not worship god, i do agree very much with Abhramic values. But many seem to shun or mis-interpret them. infact most do, ad thats why alot of people are really angry. Personally i think religon is good. but its also my personal belief that religon has driven some to do evil, and misguided some, and been manipulated by some for their own purposes. I just don't belive in god. But i do agree with alot of Abhramic Values.

Thats just me.

I agree wholeheartedly with all of that. Look at the terrorists.

Now, look at the few Christians and/or Buddhists that commit their lives to helping others.

Religion goes both ways, the sad part is that it weighs down toward negative.

Level 25
I agree wholeheartedly with all of that. Look at the terrorists.

Now, look at the few Christians and/or Buddhists that commit their lives to helping others.

Religion goes both ways, the sad part is that it weighs down toward negative.

Something went wrong here
Terrorists on a side and Christians and or Buddhists on the other?
since when Terrorism is a religion?.

Level 34
Look here!
I am a Muslim be more sensitive D:
and before you post about a certain topic you need to study it from all it's area's
now do what Flat said.

Religion of Peace practicers have no humour, especially when it comes to cartoons D:

And Joe: Tell them to cancel that damn International Funcongress here in Amsterdam D:

Level 13
I can't formulate it differently, really, since terrorists seem to come from any and all religions. I wasn't implying that Muslims are all terrorists or something.

Why does everything I say go awry?! D:

Level 14
Religion of Peace practicers have no humour, especially when it comes to cartoons D:

And Joe: Tell them to cancel that damn International Funcongress here in Amsterdam D:

Religion of Peace = Muslims? God.. Islam is just a RELIGION, HUMANS are HUMANS! Sense of humour? That comes from an individual person, not from a group/organization/religion. Cartoons? Rofl.

PS : I'm a muslim too.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Religion of Peace = Muslims? God.. Islam is just a RELIGION, HUMANS are HUMANS! Sense of humour? That comes from an individual person, not from a group/organization/religion. Cartoons? Rofl.

PS : I'm a muslim too.

Humour is culture, culture is greatly influenced by religion, thus humour is affected by religion. Objective opinions aside, Muslims are incredibly sensitive to blasphemous humour. We almost got ourselves a 9/11 some time ago, for something we (in our culture) considered a joke and a part of how our culture is. Though let's not go there.

Back to the topic, I consider myself passively non-religious:
shiiK said:
* Passively non-religious
You are certain that there is no maker, but you refrain from judging religion
(Typically a positive atheist[as per definition by Gora in 1972])

insider myself passively non-religious:

Honestly, if your not going to believe in religion then whats the point in being hostile towards or judging religions? I really don't understand why some Atheists feel so compelled to destroy religion.

Humour is culture, culture is greatly influenced by religion, thus humour is affected by religion. Objective opinions aside, Muslims are incredibly sensitive to blasphemous humour. We almost got ourselves a 9/11 some time ago, for something we (in our culture) considered a joke and a part of how our culture is. Though let's not go there.

I don't get what makes some people so violent over religion either.
-In the last south park, they were able to show Buddha hitting cocaine uncensored yet they had to censor it every time someone even said Muhammad because they were afraid of that it would anger Muslims.

Level 13
Muslims have tried to assassinate a Danish artist for drawing a rendition of Muhammad which I found rather humorous myself.

On the other side of the spectrum, I have met plenty nice Muslims. It's not like the whole religion is a bunch of terrorists.

Yeah I heard all about that thing with the Danish artist, that started the whole fear of showing any image of Muhammad. I just think the people who get pissed over that sort of thing need to get over it, everyone else seems to be able to take a joke.

On the other side of the spectrum, I have met plenty nice Muslims. It's not like the whole religion is a bunch of terrorists.

That stereotype must get incredibly annoying, I mean so what if the Jews have a stereotype of being greedy and the Christians have a stereotype of having pedophile priests and ignorant to science, but does anyone else constantly have people suspecting your trying to bomb them for no reason, and such stereotypes actually being put into policy (like how some airports screen people based on race)?

Level 14
Muslims have tried to assassinate a Danish artist for drawing a rendition of Muhammad which I found rather humorous myself.

The whole religion is not a bunch of terrorists. It is not because Bin Laden is a terrorist or some other random guys are terrorists that Muslims are.
I respect all religions, and yes, there are plenty nice christians, etc.

About renditions of Muhammad : It is "Haram" to represent/draw/refigure/defigure/caricature for humor Muhammad. Haram is.. Well don't know the word in english. In french it's "péché". And a big one.

I really don't understand why some Atheists feel so compelled to destroy religion.
Because people base their actions on things that do not exist. If you're going to do the right thing, you've got to base your actions on fact and logic. Religion has destroyed so much and so many and it will continue to do so as long as it exists. It hinders progress like nothing else. It stops people thinking and they misuse it to justify all their actions, however bad. And if you can't justify what you've done.. Well, God forgives everything, right? So you don't have to worry about it.

That's a tiny part of why people want to destroy religion.

Level 35
Militant atheism, is the zenith of narrow minded hideousness. As it seeks to destroy the very essence of faith itself, to replace it with an unobtainable goal of making infinite gods out of finite men, through finite means, built from the finite understanding, of a finite universe.

I don't want to make infinite gods out of finite men. Everything's finite and I can actually accept that. Religion exists because of extreme human egocentrism. I wouldn't care if all humans were gone tomorrow.
Narrow minded? You can't get much more narrow minded than believing only what has been written in one single book and rejecting everything else in the name of 'faith'.

The whole religion is not a bunch of terrorists. It is not because Bin Laden is a terrorist or some other random guys are terrorists that Muslims are.
I respect all religions, and yes, there are plenty nice christians, etc.

About renditions of Muhammad : It is "Haram" to represent/draw/refigure/defigure/caricature for humor Muhammad. Haram is.. Well don't know the word in english. In french it's "péché". And a big one.

No one ever said the religion was a religion of terrorists.
Well it may not be the Muslim word but Blasphemy seems to encompass it quiet well, and that hasn't stopped people from parodying many other religious figures.

Because people base their actions on things that do not exist. If you're going to do the right thing, you've got to base your actions on fact and logic. Religion has destroyed so much and so many and it will continue to do so as long as it exists. It hinders progress like nothing else. It stops people thinking and they misuse it to justify all their actions, however bad. And if you can't justify what you've done.. Well, God forgives everything, right? So you don't have to worry about it.

That's a tiny part of why people want to destroy religion.

Actually I believe the concept of Hell will go with the God forgives everything thing, its not like Religion will support you no matter what you do, there's consequences built in.

Because people base their actions on things that do not exist.

(Hostile) Atheists act as if they are the only ones basing their thoughts on logic, that only THEY know the truth, and that everyone else has everything completely wrong and they must be stopped or converted, since only THEIR logic is the right logic.

You know what, this is exactly the same thing as what Religious people think towards you. The Bible/Koran/Torah/etc. is just as real to the religious as the scientific studies are to the non-religious - your fighting an argument that can't be won since no one can compromise, and those involved don't allow compromise to exist - they feel it must end with the complete destruction of the others.

I RESTATE

Don't let this turn into another Religious argument

Level 35
I don't want to make infinite gods out of finite men. Everything's finite and I can actually accept that. Religion exists because of extreme human egocentrism. I on't care if all humans are gone tomorrow.
Narrow minded? You can't get much more narrow minded than believing only what has been written in one single book and rejecting everything else in the name of 'faith'.

Yes, Militant atheism is very, very narrow minded. Faith believes in something greater for what is in that book, beyond the finite, physical world: Militant Atheism not only wants to destroy that faith, remove all traces of that looking beyond, and that book. But it also seeks to build up its own variation of a Pharisaical Religion: "You can only believe in what you see, do otherwise, take any leap of faith into looking towards anything infinite beyond hopeless, temporal, humanistic achievement, and be destroyed".

All right, this'll be my last post here, but I need to say just one more thing.

Elenai, that is exactly why I hate religion. You believe that we (humans) are special, that we are something more than just mechanisms coincidally created by the process of natural selection. We are not. To think anything else is human egocentrism to the extreme. There is nothing higher, there is no point to life. Live with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.