• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

History

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Modern day history, ISLE destroying X city and taking over Y is much more impactful today than some Greek war or two Middle Age kingdoms having a small skirmish. The death and impact of the small skirmish has long been forgotten where as there are risks today which could change the world. What happened in the past no longer influences what will happen in the future. What happens today however does.

Level 21
Seems like I'm the only one here who hates history. For me, history is just a bunch of events which happened in the past that are not worth reminding. I prefer to think about the present and the future, not the past. Why should I care about something that happened centuries ago? It's gone, finished, over...

I have just a little dislike about History. In Malaysia, many students hate to study History and the History in our textbooks are hard to memorize and boring. And our History is very very short. What I study is all about Malacca's history and Britain conquering our states and that's all.

But I am okay with some China history, World War II and Korean War history.

Level 18
I have just a little dislike about History. In Malaysia, many students hate to study History and the History in our textbooks are hard to memorize and boring. And our History is very very short. What I study is all about Malacca's history and Britain conquering our states and that's all.

But I am okay with some China history, World War II and Korean War history.

Well many people did not realize Malacca is a tribute state of Ming China
That why Portugal was attack viciously by Ming Empire

Deleted member 238589

D

Deleted member 238589

Because most of these mistakes/success were regarding battles, wars or way of governing a country, nothing of my concern really.

Not really, I've come across many thing that'd be useful in normal life.
Besides, if our fathers sacrificed for us, and if we want to just forget it, why should we sacrifice for our kids, so they can just forget it all over again? Sounds a little self absorbing, to be honest (not you, but the idea itself).

Any yes, textbook history is really boring and full of unimportant information.

Level 29
Well, for one i have learned more history through the computer games i have played than all the textbooks during my studency combined.
Its thanks to games like Age of Empires and Civilization that ive managed to gain interest in history since the official history teaching textbooks tell basically, only pretty much, about former wars and our ancestor's (partial) sucesses, with demise and errs being tended to only get passed over, and in some cases almost being neglected to the point of non-existance.

Level 8
Well, for one i have learned more history through the computer games i have played than all the textbooks during my studency combined.
Its thanks to games like Age of Empires and Civilization that ive managed to gain interest in history since the official history teaching textbooks tell basically, only pretty much, about former wars and our ancestor's (partial) sucesses, with demise and errs being tended to only get passed over, and in some cases almost being neglected to the point of non-existance.

Same here. I learned history thanks to Civ and AC.

Level 19
People should also pay attention to our history. It may seem nonsense to some but the history let's us learn our past mistakes, and may also tells us something about the present of even the future. Our view of history molds our view about the present, therefore helps us answer the problems we met. It helps us reflects on our thoughts and deeds and helps us improve it.

It may seem irrelevant to some people but history does matter. The present is the product of the past.
One example is the nuclear arms race during the Cold War. It didn't erupted into global-scale of destruction because both sides knew what would happen if these will occur like the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Another example is the destruction of Typhoon Yolanda or internationally known as Haiyan it was the worst tropical cyclone that ever struck in the Philippine History with it's highest recorded speed at 315 km/h and storm surges from 5-6 m high. It caused a destruction worth 2.02 billion US dollars and recorded deaths of 6,300. Visayas was under nation-wide state of calamity. Tacloban City almost fall into anarchy. It was broadcasted here how people looted malls and commercial establishments since days past without food, water, shelter, or electricity.
What I'm trying to say is my country is always struck by typhoons up to 19 typhoons annually. So Philippines should always be prepared for the typhoons that may come but the government admitted they we're not prepared for the calamity because they underestimated it's force. I'm not complain about the government but they still underestimate the power of these disasters like they didn't learn from the countless storms that passed.

Level 21
What you said isn't really "history" for me and such events didn't happen like 5000 years ago, for example. It is that kind of history I detest, the ones that bring you back to plenty of centuries ago.
The thing of the typhoon isn't that historical as it was just a natural disaster which caused the residents to take actions immediately, not after a couple of years.

Level 18
Last edited:
Level 19
What am I talking is the country has a history of being bombarded by strong typhoons yet government officials are still under-prepared therefore causing more damage than what could have been prevented.

If that's what you are talking about then it's still important to learn the history of our planet. It helps us understand more about our planet. Studying what happened in the past links the changes in our planet in a global scale or even in certain regions.
Because of the studies of the past history we learn about the possible impact of environmental change on biodiversity.
Today we have climate change, rapid extinction of species with the destruction of their habitat which have a great effect to our lives if we won't do anything about it. Where to the government consult? In a future-teller? No. They also need help from paleontologists who can show data about how the planet faced large scale changes in it's environment. They have the fossil record where they can show how the environment affected life.

Level 20
History is much broader than people give it credit. Schools mostly focus on military and political history. I do love history, that's the path I have chosen to study.

As for what exact part of history I like, without a doubt I can say Ancient History. While it doesn't directly effect us it still was foundation of our modern civilizations. Now I can only speak for Europe but I can safely claim that without Romans, Greeks and cultures that influenced them are important heritage. Most European civilization were built on the corpse of Roman Empire and indirectly so are American. And to those that say that they aren't affected I'll just assume they are above the law, currency, democracy and so on. You don't have to study history (it is boring and massive) but disrespecting it is another matter.

Unsure what I like the least but tempted to say my own middle age history. Oh and definitely any church history.

@Arad MNK
Interesting period, the crusades. I do still see them misguided, especially the 4th Crusade when so called soldiers of Christianity destroyed Byzantium because they were paid a bit extra by Italian cities. And well all the middle eastern crusades were failures (Child crusade especially) anyway with most successful being first one. The Reconquista was successful though and not too familiar with Northern crusades except that Baltics and Slavs hate them.

Status
Not open for further replies.