1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Hillsbrad Creek

Submitted by Mr.Henci
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
Hillsbrad Creek

Map Description

Peaceful lands of Hillsbrad Foothills, nearly untouched by the Scourge, will soon be torn by a conflict. Only the strongest will remain standing.

Hillsbrad Creek is 2v2 or FFA map designed for Melee Mapping Contest #4

Contains:
-13 500g base (4x) 12 000g exp(4x)
- 12 green camps
- 12 orange camps
- 4 red camp
- 1 Tavern
- 2 Goblin Merchants
- 4 Mercenary Camps
- 2 Goblin Laboratories​

Screenshots

Screenshot #1
[​IMG]

Screenshot #2
[​IMG]

Screenshot #3
[​IMG]

Screenshot #4
[​IMG]

Changelog

Version 1
[2019-04-23]

• Map Uploaded.

Version 1.1
[2019-04-25]

• Fixed some creep agro problems.
    • Made starting spots more balanced.
    • Green Murloc camp lvl decreased from 9 to 7.
    • some visual cleanup.
    • Thanks @Cigaro ,@Ragnaros17 and @FranzVader_CZ for the feedback

Author's Notes
Tried to combine Lord Summer and Fall with the bits of Ashenvalle. Also, it's my first map with asymmetrical symmetry, - no copy/paste of anything. Big thanks to everyone who helped me with feedback, namly JaleVeliki, Ragnaros17, Isaak and others.

Have any suggestion? Please write a comment. I am opened to any ideas. Have a nice day!
Previews
Contents

Hillsbrad Creek (Map)

Reviews
Cigaro
The map as a whole looks fair and playable. The distances are okay, some areas are narrow and some are wide. The doodads are distributed evenly, and it has a warcraftish look. This is a solid map. === The tree lines at the starting positions are...
mafe
Approved based on the results of the recent 2v2 Melee mapping contest: Melee Mapping contest #4: 2v2 - Results
  1. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    2 Goblin Merchants
    - 4 Mercenary Camps
    - 4 Goblin Laboratories

you mean 2 goblin labs, description

great entry!!!, seems perfect

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  2. FranzVader_CZ

FranzVader_CZ

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Filename is (2)HillsbradCreek, should be (4) and it is only bad think I can find so far :) very nice one.

3. Cigaro

Cigaro

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The map as a whole looks fair and playable. The distances are okay, some areas are narrow and some are wide. The doodads are distributed evenly, and it has a warcraftish look. This is a solid map.

===

The tree lines at the starting positions are highly unequal:

base-1.jpg
    base-2.jpg

This is definitely a big issue for advanced players.

Generally speaking, the bases are "too deep" inside the forest. It's too easy to close your base with buildings to keep harassing heroes out. Such funnel designs should, if ever, only used with expansion gold mines.

Also, at the top position, you can build behind the gold mine, but that's easily fixed with a tree or two:

burrow.jpg

EDIT: Potentially not a problem, I may be misinformed

===

Personally, I feel that this 'grassy dirt' terrain (I think it's from the Ashenvale tileset) looks weird because it doesn't synergize well with the rest of the terrain:

terrain.jpg

It looks weird both on the green and the red side of the map. I also think that you could've done with less terrain types overall and it still would have looked good, the many types of floors look chaotic in some places.

I'm not too happy with the many varieties of doodads either, it's not my taste. For example, you wouldn't expect this dude to be just standing there:

statue.jpg

It's a statue in the middle of nowhere, with runes and lanterns.

Or consider this next screenshot: The building on the left makes perfect sense. It's placed near a road and there are some crates and hay. But who forgets all their valuable stuff near a random column? Just imagine yourself wandering through the wilderness and suddenly there's lots of carpets literally in a lake. I would have preferred rocks there.

column.jpg

However, I know that this is completely a matter of taste and I'm also nitpicking. All the stuff near the coast looks great, by the way, with the exception of those huge bones, because Blizzard did a poor job with those.

You can blink up the cliff here:

hideout.jpg

Not a huge issue but seemingly the only spot where it is possible, so I assume that you've only overlooked it.

===

There are relatively few critters, particularly in the corners. Ask an UD player whether he agrees with that, I'm not 100% certain. EDIT: Never mind that, there's just none right in front of the expo, which irritated me.

The lvl 9 Murloc camp only drops a lvl 1 permanent. Should be a lvl 2 typically. I recommend to either downgrade the spot to lvl 7 or make it a lvl 2 item.

I feel that there are too few green camps overall.

This camp should be moved a little further back:

creeps-1.jpg

Same goes for the four creep camps in the center of the map, they'll attack unsuspecting units.

===

To sum it up: I don't think the map has any major flaws, all the points I've mentioned can be fixed within reasonable time.

Large parts of the map look very nice, although there are a few things that I would have done differently.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  4. mafe

mafe

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources: