• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

High Elves

High Elves
The High Elves
Created by Footman 16
219951-albums6159-picture67364.jpg

Map Info:

The map I chose to make the High Elves on was gnollwood because it can field 6 players but isn't too big. There have been little changes. I made the four merchants into a random shop. As the map was made by the great minds at Blizzard Entertainment then the quality of the terrain is assured.

Features:

This is an expansion of the campaign Elves.
This is also a COMPLETE race with the number of units and buildings of the other standard races. The High Elves have been given the honour and respect they deserve in the form of:

• 11 complete and balanced units
  • 4 unique and different heroes
  • all the buildings you would expect

The New Units
219951-albums6159-picture99825.png
The Old Units
219951-albums6159-picture72219.png

The swordsman are different from the originals (who were basically footman) and all the units have a tech-tree requirement.

A bit of Background:

This is a map that I created after having a long think about what race hasn't really been explored so I then came up with the High Elves.
The Hive Elves have better armour than most races but their hp is lower; exception being swordsman and Guardians. They do a fair amount of damage and are slightly spell resistant, to give them a small perk and fit in with the idea of the High Elves jealously guarding their magical secrets. The four heroes are Quel'Salam (new), Swordmaster (new), High Elf Ranger (new) and Archmage (not new).

219951-albums6159-picture99826.png

I drew a lot of inspiration for the units from WoW, the fabulous units on this site and a challenge for myself that would put my ability to balance a race fairly to the test.

Credits:

Special Thanks to:
  • Deolrin
  • Hawking
  • Elenai
  • Norinrad
  • 67_Chrome
  • SinisterX
  • Sin'dorei300
  • General Frank
  • Himperion
  • Hayate
  • Windrunner29

Keywords:
elves, high elves, blood elves, gnollwood, melee, race, warcraft
Contents

High Elves (Map)

Reviews
08:36, 26th Feb 2013 Orcnet: map updated, approved
Level 8
No offense, but it needs a lot of changes... I did something similar for the elves a while ago, and actually I'd prefer mine. If it's intended to be a melee map you need to fix the button positions. The ballistas usually go with the archers and the swordsmen in the barracks. Elves are supposed to be fragile, no big strong units look good with high elves :/. If it's useful for you, my version of the High Elf race has workers, with the unit inventory upgrade in the town hall/keep/castle swordsmen, archers, ballistas, with the defend, improved bows, markmanship, and vorpal blades in the barracks, Priests, Sorcerers, and Spellbreakers with the Priests' and Sorcerers' Adept and Master Upgrades, the Control Magic, and the Magic Sentry in the Arcane Sanctum, the Gryphon Aviary has only a Dragonhawk rider with it's cloud upgrade, a BlackSmith with the same upgrades you have, a lumber mill with masonry and lumber upgrades, an Altar of Kings with a Ranger, the Observatory, and scout towers with just arcane tower upgrade. The Observatory is only an alert building with an ENORMOUS radius of visibility with the reveal, and magic sentry abilities.

I don't like footman because they are stick men but I didn't want to create orc elves so they're aren't that strong if you notice the judicator has way less hit points than the knight. I also tried to use as little custom models/skins aswell but that is an entire army/race with all air, land and hero units. They are weaker but they do more damage have good spells and average armour. As for "big, strong units" I don't know what your talking about.

If it's about the Occult dragon I made that strong because the dragonhawk and hippogryph were getting wrecked by the other race's air units so I needed something that could help by being an air tank unit.

Button placement is weird I don't know how it works I looked at but it ended up looking weird.

This is NOT a replica of standard elves I based the barracks off the human one and I wanted to make them new, with a different style.

No offence, but your map wasn't what I was trying to make if I wanted the Ballista with the swordsman and archers I would have put them there but I didn't want that. Like I said this is a complete high elf race not the campaign one expanded. If I'm honest your high elves are just the campaign ones, with nothing new or even 4 heroes.

Last edited:
I think I would just mess up the description if I used BB codes but I might make a video of me playing it and upload that to show the race fully.:ogre_haosis:
I have sorted everything as far as I know but if there are any spelling mistakes, balancing mistakes etc then please tell me for I think my race is at least 99% done maybe even 100% if nobody notices something.

Edit: I've added BB codes but the map still isn't approved :(

Last edited:
Level 30
Map Review
High Elves (No Version/s Stated)

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
5/591-100A

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
4/581-90%B

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
3/575-80%C

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
2/570-74%D

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
1/550-69%F

Overview:

Gameplay

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

"High Elves" is a Altered-Melee that is focused on converting the default Human race into a articulated form of high elves.

"The Cosmetics of this genre is somewhat attractive but rather unappealing to my expectations, for me I am already fond in the RoC's High Elves but looking to your concepts and the playable characteristics of every objects, I guess I'll rate them fair, what cause this is some of them are already been a default part of the Human and Night Elf race such as re-using the Ballista, Hippogryph, and the Arcane Sanctum units. They're are other problems I have encouter during my work, the Worker units doesn't use the Call-to-Arms ability or you just forgot to remove it? the building command card is mixed making players to be confused I advised you to fix it by positioning them like the proper ones used in the default melee ex. altar is in the middle, upgrades to the right, item shop in the lowest middle, etc. The use of descriptions is somewhat poor in condition, I've seen a custom hero re-using the mountain king's description which is bad, all high elves heroes re-use abilities so I suggest re-polishing them."

Terrain

th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

"The Terrain or the map itself was based on the TFT map 'Gnoll Wood', so probably I will not make points in this section and so as adding a tavern in the middle and other neutral buildings by replacing other neutral buildings."

Management

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

"I am pleased with people visualizing concepts on various races and extending them to a reach were a different case is been made, and hate it when these ideas is been washed away due to few re-done and a very simple built, I don't know how others will rate this, but if you can follow much of my suggestions, I guess you can lift this map back again with a much, much more additions. My revision for you is to actually play, plan, and test highly rated altered melee maps that takes toll on 'Elves' this way you can actually think of a concept were you don't re-use default abilities, but rather trigger them, customized them, or built them completely. here is one thing I can give you that can beef this map up:http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/general-mapping-tutorials-278/polishing-your-game-168019/, good luck and happy map making"

WC3ScrnShot_111512_223051_08.jpgWC3ScrnShot_111512_221204_04.jpgWC3ScrnShot_111512_221118_03.jpgWC3ScrnShot_111512_221105_02.jpg

Total Score:

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
6/1570%D

Level 16
Playing right now (will update over time)
Bugs;
Green disbtn icon on the barracks
Suggestion:
Dont use hero model for units(archer), im sure u can find a lot better models for archers here, and hero models, produce lag, and simply dont look good im masses.

Level 13
Weren't those Building models made by SinisterX?
Same with the Blood elf ones.

Also, you realy should make sure everything works properly before posting it. "This is my first work" isn't a good excuse. (Never post your "first" nothing unless you know it's good and people have given their opinions about it.)

When have I used this is my first work as an excuse, I concur that is a truly terrible excuse so please don't accuse me of using it.

SinisterX is now in the credits list thanks for alerting me to that. This map works properly so I have no idea what you're talking about and Orcnet has given his highly praised advice which I have taken and he has helped me significantly so please say something valuable and on topic to the map next time.

Never jump to conclusions and always give precise, useful advice to me please.

Level 3
Bug Report:
Guardtowers can be built inside woods.

Occult Dragons have Hero armor,whoah.

Building HP&armor upgrade and Detection for Tower upgrades have their tooltips unchanged.
There is no wood gathering upgrade.

Human side Food eco is structured so: Main building's Food amount(12), Food building gives half of that amount(6). Yet Home's give 10(!).
Name it atleast Homestead,just Home lulz.

Elite Archers upgrade mentions Elite Archers you get Rangers after upgrading.
It doesnt upgrade already existing units -> its super easy to accomplish this you can do it. See: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...t-upgrade-like-orcs-berserker-upgrade-143755/
Rangers train extremely fast.

Shop building mentions building types which arent there as prequisites for items sold inside.
Shop doesnt contain an unique orb for this side.
The 2. type of staff you added in as replacement for Ivory Tower is available at tier 1.

Archmage is not even a carbon copy of Human because you just put the same hero for Helves. Every race has to contain 4 unique heroes.

One building is named Khadgar's Library. Khadgar is a human mage,why would the noble and snoble highelves name one of their buildings after him ?

There is a Hippogryph at Dragonhawk's building. How is that unit even related to Highelves ?

Last edited:
Learn your lore about the high elves before you make comments about the hippos or the building. I will sort the shop. I will sort the elite archers. You have no point about the food and there isn't supposed to be a lumber upgrade. I will also sort the towers. Do you know how hard it is to create four unique heroes be thankful you have three.

Level 2
If you want you can always export the files from my map, its unprotected, and then try them in your map.

Thank you but taking sources from other maps is for, forgive me for the use of the word, very noob. I want to learn how to do a map, but now I discovered why the other half part of the models doesn't work, I need to use the correct paths of the textures. I will try to find them. Anyways thanks for your help :goblin_good_job:

Level 1
Perfect map. I love it. Brilliant ideas.
Maybe you can add base defence mechanism. Like human milita,night elf aggresssive buildings, spiked building of orcs.
Maybe some buildings cast arcane bolts to enemies

Perfect map. I love it. Brilliant ideas.
Maybe you can add base defence mechanism. Like human milita,night elf aggresssive buildings, spiked building of orcs.
Maybe some buildings cast arcane bolts to enemies

I don't know if I'll ever add a base defence to the High Elves, there's nothing balanced or unique enough that comes to mind as direct damage like above is a no-no.

Level 1
I don't know if I'll ever add a base defence to the High Elves, there's nothing balanced or unique enough that comes to mind as direct damage like above is a no-no.

Ok, no problem :) i really liked arcane guildsman and elven armor upgrade.
I have to questions
1) arcane guildsman 2. ability can harm summoned units. That Ability can give summoned units 200 damage?
2) can you give more details about elven armor. What are the matematical benefits? For example %10 magic resistance and immunie to mind control spells.

Love the idea and the custom models in the map although the portrait for Quelsalam is glitched and his skill serenity damages an ally instead of healing it, would also be amazing if you used the Q,W,E,R for hotkeys instead of letters on skill name.

I had a lot of issues with the Serenity spell originally however now it should be fixed. As for the portrait how was it glitched exactly? I don't think I'll make QWER hotkeys since this is intended for melee play. Thanks for the feedback, I think I still need to update the map to the latest version.

I had a lot of issues with the Serenity spell originally however now it should be fixed. As for the portrait how was it glitched exactly? I don't think I'll make QWER hotkeys since this is intended for melee play. Thanks for the feedback, I think I still need to update the map to the latest version.
The portrait shows then turns to black when the unit gets clicked or ordered a command.

Well... interstingly enough, the heal on the hero that increases attack range deals damage instead... :D

Yeah... it's pretty annoying, negative values don't seem to be working for me for Unholy Frenzy or Aeriel Shackles :/ so currently I'm searching for a unique heal spell to create.

Level 7
Yeah... it's pretty annoying, negative values don't seem to be working for me for Unholy Frenzy or Aeriel Shackles :/ so currently I'm searching for a unique heal spell to create.

what about making a dummy? just make the spell be regular rejuvenation or unholy frenzy with 0 damage and make a dummy with 3 spells, each spell would be different level of the other ability than the hero would have and add a triger - every time the spell is cast, the dummy would cast the other one with correct level

what about making a dummy? just make the spell be regular rejuvenation or unholy frenzy with 0 damage and make a dummy with 3 spells, each spell would be different level of the other ability than the hero would have and add a triger - every time the spell is cast, the dummy would cast the other one with correct level

Because that requires a lot of effort and would make standard Rejuvenation and Unholy Frenzy unuseable due to custom buffs not being a thing. What you're saying would work and require a lot of effort but I don't think it's worth it.

Level 7
Because that requires a lot of effort and would make standard Rejuvenation and Unholy Frenzy unuseable due to custom buffs not being a thing. What you're saying would work and require a lot of effort but I don't think it's worth it.

a lot of effort? o_O man it's just about creating two custom spells and a buff that would be added to one of them and a single trigger, that's nothing

a lot of effort? o_O man it's just about creating two custom spells and a buff that would be added to one of them and a single trigger, that's nothing

"A lot of effort" is a general term, anything that can't be done through GUI is "effort" to me, mainly because a) I'm lazy and b) I don't have as much time for map-making these days. I doubt I'll trigger a spell unless I can find/think of something unique. Otherwise I'll keep tinkering with standard abilities and see what I can make.

Level 7
"A lot of effort" is a general term, anything that can't be done through GUI is "effort" to me, mainly because a) I'm lazy and b) I don't have as much time for map-making these days. I doubt I'll trigger a spell unless I can find/think of something unique. Otherwise I'll keep tinkering with standard abilities and see what I can make.

but this can be done there easly:
Event - a unit finishes casting a spell
condition - spell being cast = *your spell* (I forgot its name)
action - create 1 Dummy for owner of casting unit
set Dummy (variable) = last created unit
make Dummy face target of ability being cast
order Dummy to cast Undead - Unholy frenzy (for the attack speed buff, the hero would have rejuvenation)
remove Dummy

bam, that's it, if you set the Dummy to have Locus, no model, no shadow, it's flying and no vision range and no attack and invulnurability, then even if two heroes cast it at once and the game creates two of them but removes only one, the other won't be interfering in any way