• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Hide doodads / destructibles from specific player?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
I know that you can hide doodads and destructibles using the "play hidden animation" and "hide destructible" triggers. But is there any way to do so for a specific player? (i.e. one player can't see the hidden doodad / destructible but all other players can)

Level 17
no you cant do it in gui but here is what it looks like [trigger=t] asdf
Events
Time - Elapsed game time is 5.00 seconds
Conditions
Actions
Custom script: if GetLocalPlayer() == Player(0) then
Destructible - Hide (Last created destructible)
Custom script: endif
[/trigger]

there is also a tutorial on local player here http://world-editor-tutorials.thehelper.net/cat_usersubmit.php?view=89207

Level 14
custom scripts are count as GUI -_-
nope, all GUI count as Jass ^.^
It's just a Graphical User Interface

Hmm a shame shadow didn't put the SetUnitX and SetUnitY in there, it's possible to move units locally as long as they have the locust ability and are only used as visual effects :/
I think he should add that... Could be useful to some people. Especially in conjunction with local unit vertex coloring. Useful for talent trees and backpack systems and the like.

Level 17
nope, all GUI count as Jass ^.^
It's just a Graphical User Interface

Hmm a shame shadow didn't put the SetUnitX and SetUnitY in there, it's possible to move units locally as long as they have the locust ability and are only used as visual effects :/
I think he should add that... Could be useful to some people. Especially in conjunction with local unit vertex coloring. Useful for talent trees and backpack systems and the like.

but why could be usefull SetUnitX/Y if unit already invisible and unselectable? :D

about moveing unit, if few case that cause desync, like shops etc

Level 14
As I said, it's only for visual effects. In particular, I used it for a talenttree to display which talents can have points spend in. I used units with vertex coloring to give an indication.

Level 4
Thanks for the heads up about vertex coloring, Hashjie. I might use that to make the destructibles transparent instead of removing them altogether.

Will substituting a vertex coloring action for the destructible hiding action in gorillabull's recommended trigger cause any desyncs?

Level 4
Ah, thanks for clarifying. Don't think I can use the vertex coloring then since I need the destructibles to be walkable as well.

Level 14
Units can also be "walkable" as long as they have no collision.
This can actually be used for ground pathing too and gives the ability to work with very small pathing.

And yes, vertex coloring does not desync.

But it all depends on how you want to create it ofcourse. ;)
There is usually more ways to accomplish the same thing...

I'm just saying: what you are doing with destructables can also be done with units.

Level 17
Thanks for the heads up about vertex coloring, Hashjie. I might use that to make the destructibles transparent instead of removing them altogether.

Will substituting a vertex coloring action for the destructible hiding action in gorillabull's recommended trigger cause any desyncs?

u can use destructible with GetLocalPlayer show hide, that dont cause desync, it is tested, also more people use that.

i guess destructibles use less memory than unit :)

Status
Not open for further replies.