1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[Role Playing Game] Heroes Tale

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by Hell_Master, Dec 1, 2012.

?

What do you think of the project map itself? (NO POLL TROLLING PLEASE)

1. Director's Cut - Highly Recommnded

19.3%
  2. Highly Recommended

33.3%
  3. Recommended

22.8%
  4. Useful

14.9%
  5. Lacking

6.1%
  6. Unacceptable

3.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robizeratul

robizeratul

Resources:
    Resources:
    why spend so much time on terrain instead of focusing on gameplay and story? Terrain is probably the most superficial part of it... I don't know about anyone is, but it's the last thing I'm interested in an RPG.

I don't want things to look pretty, I want a story and gameplay. Being average is good enough for me

2. Mythic

Mythic

Media Manager

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    ^He's reworking the whole map from scratch, so I can't say he's 'spending so much time' on terrain. He'll get to the story soon. :)

3. Hell_Master

Hell_Master

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    I am actually not working on the terrain right now but on the stories, gameplay, triggers and misc. stuffs.

4. N.Knight

N.Knight

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Thats nice to know but don't leave the terrain.
    A good story is important but so is the look of the terrain because your terrain portrays the setting. You need not take it over the top but even some minor details to the scenery will bring your story to life and make gameplay a tad more interesting.

Having said that, the project looks nice overall, would like to see the changes you have in mind.
    Good luck mate!
    +rep

5. Hell_Master

Hell_Master

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    @NKnight001
    Thank you for the tips and compliments. I am really glad

Anyway, guys, I have been again in a slow pace due to being busy at school works but here are some news... I have made 2 Main quests already together with their cinematics, Item drops from Sapphire Stones (some kind of mining stones), an Item Stacking System, and much more...

Expect some gameplay screenshots soon and hopefully, by next week, the reworked v0.1 ALPHA.

6. Remixer

Remixer

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Remember that you mustn't rush under pressure, just take your time, but without letting your fans forget you.

7. Lockheart

Lockheart

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Imho, a pretty terrain is quite important in a rpg and I think I am not the only one who feels this way.

Of course you can't forget about gameplay and story, but sometimes it's better to do one thing after another.
    As I can tell from your screenshots you're terrain looks well so far, improving needs time and therefor you shouldn't feel rushed.

Gotta quite a lot of untested rpg on my list now, but yea', I'll try it!
    Keep up the good work.

8. Hell_Master

Hell_Master

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    @Lockheart
    Thank you very much for stating your opinion and also for waiting on testing it out!

Anyway, here are some gameplay screenshots of the game though showing only a little part of the game, I tested the triggers and some does not work properly but got to realized and solve out the problem. It seems its me being stupid is the problem (I forgot most of the triggers I used).

Attached Files:

9. Remixer

Remixer

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Some grammar errors as "that actually lives on the house."

However the way the English is more important in my opinion you write it like the character would tell the player things, he should not be doing that... For example :
    "Here I am, in the middle of the forest and lost again... Oh, a house! That is quite weird seeing a house in a dangerous-looking forest such as this."

This is like the character tells the player "Okay, dude, I am lost now. Just so that you know it I say it." and the house "There is a house, okay it's weird but let's not care about it."

Preferable line would be like:
    "Oh... this is just great. I am lost again this forest(./... again!) House? Why the heck would any one build a house in forest like this?"

And the Dwarf Kan tells you what he can be used for like the game would be a tutorial. (I am not sure if this part is actually.)
    "I almost forgot, I am Kan and I am a Dward Blacksmith. I can craft weapons and armors for you if you want."

Preferably: (It would help to see the whole cinematic to make the lines fit better)
    "Oh! But I am Kan, a blacksmith... and if you already didn't notice I am a dwarf. If you are in need of arms maybe I can help you out."

Notice that my grammar is not 100% correct however I think you can get an idea how you could write instead of tutorial-like or talking to player text.

10. Hell_Master

Hell_Master

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Thank you very much for the suggestions. Would do that.

11. AL0NE

AL0NE

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    It's been quite some time I was inactive. Obviously there's many things going on in the hive. Anyway, Hell_Master, I would like apologize for my sudden hibernation/disappearance without leaving a word or two about the UI for this project. :/ There was just too many IRL stuffs to attend to. But rest assure, the UI is still intact in my hard drive and I'll will follow up the UI from where I left it. hopefully you'll be able to include it in your Alpha release. :)

EDIT:
    Here's an in-game screenshot of the UI in action. To avoid any misleadings, the crappy terrain shown in this screenshot is for example purpose ONLY. I've made changed to the top right panels, and the cursor can be seen right above the water. :) I'm still in a dilemma of whether leaving the menu buttons with the original night elf green colour because it seems to fit pretty well. However, a golden/yellow recolour does seems to be viable too. I'll post another screenshot for comparison soon. And yeah, still working on Inventory Cover. D: not sure what to put there atm.

Preview
    [​IMG]

And sorry for being abit slow for the other components. I used to know their paths, and how the .blp is designed for each of them. But I practically forgot most of them and had to recall how they work. D:

Attached Files:

12. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    alone that looks nice however I feel like you need to choose which colour you actually want to use. Bronze + green wtf? :p

either go with the greenish colour like above the command buttons or the bronze colour like the one above the hero stats. because the following spots look rather odd atm.
    [​IMG]

as said well drawn but I think it looks odd :(

13. Remixer

Remixer

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Totally agree with Chaosy, the colors does not kinda fit together. Green or Bronze...

14. AL0NE

AL0NE

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Hmm.. Never actually thought about those parts. ^^" thanks for the input guys. :D Will definitely try and fix that. :)

15. Hell_Master

Hell_Master

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    It's great you are back, ALONE. I have been waiting for you and good thing that this is still not dead but sadly, restarted due to some unsatisfactory results.

Anyway, the UI looks great but I would have to agree to what Chaosy said. And also would be much better if you could maybe add some inventory slot symbols.

Thank you for the UI work!

16. Hell_Master

Hell_Master

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Here are 11 new Gameplay Screenshots that is a continuation of what I posted last. And I have also added an Attribute System and also a Level up Mechanic where you level up, you gain 4 points that is to be spent on raising your heroes' stats.

Added Systems:
    • Attribute System
    • Level Up Mechanic

Attached Files:

17. Veritas 117

Veritas 117

Resources:
    Resources:
    The terrain is definitely an improvement from the old terrain. Keep up the good work, I hope it isn't too much work re-doing a lot of it. Good luck

18. Lolzaxis

Lolzaxis

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yeah I like the new terrain. Good luck to this project + I'm looking forward to it.

19. Mythic

Mythic

Media Manager

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    @Hell Master, the levelup mechanic, didn't you.. nerf that long ago to two points? And you added it again?

20. Remixer

Remixer

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    HellMaster, definitely change Lordaeron Summer rock tile to Village Rock Tile. It is just better looking, Lordaeron rock tile is ugly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.