• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hero Skill Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 37
Hey there once again!

I have been making my campaign for over half year now. I have already released a lot of alpha tests from it. Currently I have a problem that I must solve before next version. I hope you can help me. I promised to upload the next version within two weeks so this problem should be solved in that time. So, let's go to the problem.

First I have to say that I have been trying to fix this problem by myself without any progress. Also Kitabatake tried to help me. This system is already done at least in one map: Rao Dao Zao's This Wreckage.

Rao Dao Zao's game is opened(no protection at all) so I looked at his trigger. I saw that he done some dummy spells etc. to make this system work so I did same... but mine didn't work.

Sooooo... I'm currently creating a spell system where player chooses abilities for himself/herself. I have already done it, but the problem is that when I add that spell to hero, it automatically gives level 1 hero spell. Also I can't level that ability up. This is the problem.

After all, I want that the spells player chooses, can be leveled up normaly(like in normaly game). So there are some levels at spells and player can choose what spell he puts ability points.

Finally, I want you to either give me some hints to create this system, or just simple make a new map with this system(or is this even a system?).

Level 37
Sooooo... I'm currently creating a spell system where player chooses abilities for himself/herself. I have already done it, but the problem is that when I add that spell to hero, it automatically gives level 1 hero spell. Also I can't level that ability up. This is the problem.

I mean, when I add a selected spell with a trigger to hero it will create level 1 spell to it. I want that the spell is learnable like in normaly games.

Clear enough?

Level 12
Really? Oh noes, I don't understand anything about JASS. There have to be a way with GUI, at least Rao Zao Dao made this system with GUI(not 100% sure).

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Aha!

Sorry, this is probably completely inaproppriate, but I was playing your campaign, and I loved it, except I play the whole game through, and since it was GUI, after 4 hours the maps get completely clogged with leaks

My computer lagged to hell... and since I am screwed in the head, I smashed my computer and now need to get a new one (don't worry, I spent at least 14 hours in waiting before doing anything drastic)

Level 37
Herman said:
Sorry, this is probably completely inaproppriate, but I was playing your campaign, and I loved it, except I play the whole game through, and since it was GUI, after 4 hours the maps get completely clogged with leaks
I know it has really much leaks. Currently fixing those. There will be a lot less leaks later versions! This is a promise.

Herman said:
My computer lagged to hell... and since I am screwed in the head, I smashed my computer and now need to get a new one (don't worry, I spent at least 14 hours in waiting before doing anything drastic)
Oh noes! My campaign is so horrible? I'm so sorry. =D

Btw, you stay really much at the topic also. =D

Level 37
Bump(or whatever it is)!

Okay, it seems like you guys don't understand. I will once again explain.

- I have a system where player chooses his/her own abilities for heroes.
- There are a lot of different abilities, but player can only select 6 abilities.
- This selection system is already done. But the problem is to add spells to hero.
- If I add the selected spell to hero with this trigger:
  • Unit - Add Attribute Bonus to (Triggering unit)
it gives the hero level 1 spell which is unlearnable. I want this spell to learnable. Just like in basic games.
- Do you guys understand now?

Level 12
okay, there is a easy way to make this work, in GUI

ever heard of Engineering Upgrade? its an ability that replaces other spells when it is added to a unit

combine that with a disabled spellbook and then you wont be able to see the icons of the engineering upgrades

Level 37
Razorbrain said:
sure thing

just so i know, how many spells can a hero have and how many spells can he/she choose from?
Six Spells. Five hero spell(each have 5 level) and one unit spell(have 10 level). Thanks for making this little system for me. I really respect you.

Huurka said:
You're only allowed to bump after 48 hours. D:
H0h0h0! I'm a bit hurry with this system! Only one week more time to create the new version including this system!

Level 37
Well, currently there is not much. But there will be 12 different spells in each category. And there is six categories. Also, there is three heroes in this is campaign. BTW, there is a game called "This Wreckage" which is open map and this system is in there also. Perhaps you could also look how it is done in that map(I looked and tried to do but I failed badly!).

However, if I remember right, he used dummy spells and "disable spell" trigger.

So in the end, there will be 6(categories) x 12(spells in each gategory) x 3(heroes) = 216.

Also, remember that I just want to have basic hero "spell system"(learnable spells). Nothing else.

Level 12
when you are talking about the categories, will it be like

"you can only choose 1 spell from each category"

or is it like

"each category represents a spelltype, like offensive, defensive, passive, and you can choose as many of each category as you like"?

Level 12
oh thank god.....

that just made it all 6 times easier xD

well, ill work on it tonight and hopefully be done in the morning, ill make a post here in 18 hours(it will be 12 o'clock over here then, the time i wake up when its summer break) and tell you what ive done :p

Level 12
Ok I see you guys going back and forth...

I'm not sure what the engineering upgrade is, and I don't think JASS will solve this problem either

Your problem is that you cannot level the spells normally after you have added them via GUI function, correct?

Level 12

I'm not sure what the engineering upgrade is, and I don't think JASS will solve this problem either

Your problem is that you cannot level the spells normally after you have added them via GUI function, correct?

Its Tinker ability that allows you to change the spells you have to different ones

Level 37
Herman said:

Yes, with
action.

However, I saw RDZ doing with his map(This Wreckage) he done this system with dummy spells + triggers(GUI).

Level 12
Hmmm... damn I wish I could help (comp out of commission)

I came across the same problem once before, but I remembered I had solved it easily, and moved on... and you say you want to do it with GUI? Well, I really don't have any experience with this, but when you simply add the ability to the unit, it gives it level 1, which you don't want, but can that spell be leveled up normally?

Level 7
  • Hero - Learn *skill*
I think.

Also, shouldn't you watch ability level restrictions?

Last edited:
Level 12
Dang, yeah I don't know how it could be done

What I would probably do until you figure it out, is get a number of icons with the little numbers in the bottom right corner so it just 'looks' like the normal upgrade abilities thing (0-9, I guess), and make spells into the spell book that will also look like the 'learn spell' type of things in the normal learn skill system

I would probably never do this, but basically you totally re-create the 'learn skill' system that you'd normally use, and just make it 'look' like it is the normal system, using a large number of spells, triggers, icons, and spellbooks

That could be terribly hard to do in GUI, so for now I suggest you go with one of those systems that use the tinkers ability

Level 37
Herman said:
I would probably never do this, but basically you totally re-create the 'learn skill' system that you'd normally use, and just make it 'look' like it is the normal system, using a large number of spells, triggers, icons, and spellbooks
It would be totally pain in the ass make own spell system. It would take at least one week to create one. I don't have that time, and I have sew this system work with couple of triggers and few dummy units.

This should not be hard. All you must do is that you add hero spell to hero and they work just like normal.

Level 12
Thats kind of funny seeing how he signed off without giving you an answer

Ok, razorbrain I will let you figure it out, mostly because I physically can't :hohum:

Level 12
ah, okay, then ill start working xD

EDIT : I have the system fully working, but right now my verison contains only about 48 spells

however, if i give you the map, you can still understand how it works, and implement it in your map

if you dont understand how it works, just tell me and i'll tell you how it works

now, do you want the map or not?

Last edited:
Level 12
bump

okay, so now im fully finished. I ran into some problems on the way but they are fixed

some things you need to know

the skills 1,2,3,4 and 5 will determine what level is required to get the spells, and also how many levels. Example, these spells have 3 levels and require Level 1, now, i can choose some ultimates from the shops, but now they only require Level 1 instead of Level 6 and will have 3 Levels aswell.

I made it like this becouse i think it is cleaner than the system Rao Dao Zao uses in This Wreckage. I made a system similar to his one for the Non-Hero skill that you wanted selectable.

EDIT : I just re-read the posts that said what you wanted, and saw that you already had a system xD. I can remake it into a fully-triggered one if you wish, but not today

Attachments

• System.w3x
    24.9 KB · Views: 38
Level 37
bump

okay, so now im fully finished. I ran into some problems on the way but they are fixed

some things you need to know

the skills 1,2,3,4 and 5 will determine what level is required to get the spells, and also how many levels. Example, these spells have 3 levels and require Level 1, now, i can choose some ultimates from the shops, but now they only require Level 1 instead of Level 6 and will have 3 Levels aswell.

I made it like this becouse i think it is cleaner than the system Rao Dao Zao uses in This Wreckage. I made a system similar to his one for the Non-Hero skill that you wanted selectable.
Okay, I will look the system now. Let's see.... I will comment soon.

EDIT: Ok, seems to work. Nice system. This is what I wanted. You have done something I could not do. I thank you. +rep, +credits

Now I start to import this system to campaign. Let's see how awesome this is going to be!

EDIT 2: It's a bit hard to import. :p

EDIT 3: Everything works perfectly. Awesome system. Thank you very much, you saved a lot of time and now I'm sure next version will come soon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.