1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Ride into the sunset with the 32nd Modeling Contest. The contest is optionally paired. Best of luck, people!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. This adventure has come to an end. Congratulate our heroes in the 16th Mini Mapping Contest Results.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. From the gates of hell, the 5th Special Effect Contest Results have emerged.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Hero Buttons for Non-Heroes?

Discussion in 'World Editor Help Zone' started by Volty, Oct 27, 2007.

1. Volty

Volty

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hi,
    I would like very much to have a particular building of the player's have its own "hero icon" appear in the upper left corner of the UI along with other hero icons. I seem to run into issues with trying to turn a hero into a building with the objecct editor (by replacing art assets, for example). I believe there is an easier way to just take my existing building and make it generate an icon/button. Please help!

Thanks,
    Volty

2. FrostCyrus

FrostCyrus

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    If you're just looking to have one building show up on the side of the screen like heroes do, you could simply count it as a worker unit.

Not sure if it works, and probably not what your looking for, but it's something.

3. Volty

Volty

Resources:
    Resources:
    That's a good suggestion, but not perfect. I'm still trying to figure this one out...

4. FrostCyrus

FrostCyrus

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    If you look at Blizzard's "Blizzard Tower Defense" map, you'll notice that they have "Hero Towers". I'm not sure if they're heroes with zero movement speed or if they actually managed to somehow pull of a "building hero".

Anywho, it's worth looking into.

5. iron_warrior

iron_warrior

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Just create a building that looks like your hero, is the same size, same collision, and when it finishes constructing, replace it through Triggers. Set it's movement to 0 and I think you'll be okay.

Either that, or just make a dummy hero for the building with no model, shadow or collision for the hero building with the same icon.

6. YoshiRyu

YoshiRyu

Resources:
    Resources:
    a solution :
    make a dummy hero with the same icon than the building
    then, make a trigger "the hero is selected > select the building"

(you've got to play with some parameters of the dummy hero to make it "invisible", like "height : -9999", "shadow : no", "selection size : 0", "display on minimap : no", "view range : 0" and probably some other i miss)