• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hero Buttons for Non-Heroes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hi,
I would like very much to have a particular building of the player's have its own "hero icon" appear in the upper left corner of the UI along with other hero icons. I seem to run into issues with trying to turn a hero into a building with the objecct editor (by replacing art assets, for example). I believe there is an easier way to just take my existing building and make it generate an icon/button. Please help!

Thanks,
Volty

Level 2
That's a good suggestion, but not perfect. I'm still trying to figure this one out...

Level 5
If you look at Blizzard's "Blizzard Tower Defense" map, you'll notice that they have "Hero Towers". I'm not sure if they're heroes with zero movement speed or if they actually managed to somehow pull of a "building hero".

Anywho, it's worth looking into.

Level 9
Just create a building that looks like your hero, is the same size, same collision, and when it finishes constructing, replace it through Triggers. Set it's movement to 0 and I think you'll be okay.

Either that, or just make a dummy hero for the building with no model, shadow or collision for the hero building with the same icon.

Level 9
a solution :
make a dummy hero with the same icon than the building
then, make a trigger "the hero is selected > select the building"

(you've got to play with some parameters of the dummy hero to make it "invisible", like "height : -9999", "shadow : no", "selection size : 0", "display on minimap : no", "view range : 0" and probably some other i miss)

Status
Not open for further replies.