• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[SD/Modeling] Help either rotating particle effect or making a similar one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Was hoping someone could either rotate this model so that instead of going up one version goes down and the other goes horizontally toward the screen in z axis, or they can make a similar model, suppose to be for a plague firebat kind of unit. Also if someone wants to explain how i can do it myself that also works, i can do simple modeling but particles dont seem to work the same way.

Attachments

• GreenSmoke.mdx
    3.1 KB · Views: 1
Level 4
I want it to be attached to a unit, in one case, and to spray out like a flamethrower for another case, both cases on a basic unit, not sure how that would work in this case, since it would either turn the whole unit sideways, or require me to create a special effect every time a bunch of units attacks

Level 8
You could attach the particle effect the way you want to whatever Animation of the Unit you like if you add some Particle Effects to it via War3 Model Editor (Magos).
If you add Particles at the Node Viewer you can change it for every Animation of the Unit

Level 4
You could attach the particle effect the way you want to whatever Animation of the Unit you like if you add some Particle Effects to it via War3 Model Editor (Magos).
If you add Particles at the Node Viewer you can change it for every Animation of the Unit
Yeah I know, that’s what I tried to do, my issue was when I did, it was facing into the unit, so it shot backwards,

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
If it's a Special Effect created at a Point, and you're on a somewhat newer version (1.31+ I think?) then you can easily modify the angle, height, scale, etc. using triggers.
  • Special Effect - Set the scale of (Last created special effect) to 2.50
Unfortunately, this doesn't work well for attached Special Effects but you can try.

There's also the option to periodically move the Special Effect to the position of your unit to mimic the behavior of being attached to it.

Level 4
If it's a Special Effect created at a Point, and you're on a somewhat newer version (1.31+ I think?) then you can easily modify the angle, height, scale, etc. using triggers.
  • Special Effect - Set the scale of (Last created special effect) to 2.50
Unfortunately, this doesn't work well for attached Special Effects but you can try.

There's also the option to periodically move the Special Effect to the position of your unit to mimic the behavior of being attached to it.
I can do this, but creating a new one every time a common unit attacks, with a high attack speed is going to cause some leaks lag, which Im trying to avoid. Is there no way to rotate the particle affect in the model editor? Or some other program?

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
I can do this, but creating a new one every time a common unit attacks, with a high attack speed is going to cause some leaks lag, which Im trying to avoid. Is there no way to rotate the particle affect in the model editor? Or some other program?
Like others said, use a 3d modeling program. I'm no modeler but surely there's a million tutorials on Hive that can help.

Also, there is no memory leak with Special Effects unless you forget to Destroy the effect. Nor do I see a reason why you would have to constantly recreate the Special Effect. But it'd definitely be better to just fix the problem at it's source (the model).

Status
Not open for further replies.