1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Heart of Storms: Resurrection

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by Rommel, Sep 26, 2017.

1. FerSZ

FerSZ

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Yay! The burning legion! :D

2. moyackx

moyackx

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Awesome!!!!!

3. xISLx

xISLx

Resources:
    Resources:
    Is this a dream?

4. Tauer

Tauer

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I too am really keeping my fingers crossed for a new campaign! Was one of the things I was looking forward to the most on the old project :D

5. Shadow44

Shadow44

Resources:
    Resources:
    It's christmas already? I remember this project, so cool you came back.

6. viktor1995

viktor1995

Resources:
    Resources:
    Awesome news!

7. Nowow

Nowow

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    This looks amazing. Truly. I especially like the stygians, whose design reminds me of Silver units. However, and I hate to be a party pooper, these quotes gives the idea there will be no triggerwork involved in the creation of the new races.

I hope this is not the case.

8. Rommel

Rommel

Resources:
    Resources:
    The mod was never supposed to have any abilities or race mechanics involve triggers (other than basic things like limit of unique units or availability of water units on naval maps). The campaign is a different matter with its boss fights and tweaked gameplay parts, but the core races are made exclusively via Object editor. That's how it was supposed to be back then, and there is no reason to change it now. Non-triggered abilities allow enough freedom to implement what we have in mind for the playable races.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  9. King Tidus

King Tidus

Resources:
    Resources:
    i don;t believe u guys will finish this, u gave up on the old one, now just watch u will give up on this reboot

10. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Once more, I want to point out that the Stygians and the Drow would feel good if the plots would be materialized :]

11. Tauer

Tauer

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Why comment at all if you're not gonna say anything constructive? You're entitled to your opinion, but this is a really useless thing to say imo.

12. MogulKahn

MogulKahn

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well, none of our comments were constructive, to be honest. He just expressed his opinion, like you did. Only differance was that your comment was positive, while his was negative. 2 sides of the same coin, pretty much..

13. Tauer

Tauer

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Difference is that giving the author some positive input might actually encourage him to work more. Telling him that he wont finish it accomplishes nothing. It's useless and demotivating.
    I don't think it's fair to compare positive and negative non-constructive comments. If you're gonna comment something non-constructive, it should at least be positive. It's always nice to be appreciated for hard work, but never nice to hear that what you're doing is basically a waste of time.

So let me rephrase: if you don't have anything constructive or nice to say, don't post.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  14. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Personally, I'm 100% with you on this Tauer; it's always better to be constructive & positive with ones' comments than not ("if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all", etc).

However, I also realize that 'there must be opposition in all things'; specifically, projects & even people themselves often don't thrive without at least a taste of adversity & opposition. This is ignoring the 'free-speech' element of a forum existence; making something public necessarily invites comments both positive & negative.

I also cannot help but think 'what other alternative is there'? Should someone with a negative comment make his own thread about it (answer: no, that's like taking it to a whole new level, personally). Send a PM? Maybe, but it could be ignored by the sendee & then never resolved. A public announcement thread of a public forum is pretty much the place for such a comment. Honestly I'm just surprised it took this long.

~~~

I want to reiterate, this has been a bit of a 'devil's-advocacy'; I'm generally in the camp (both for myself personally & the world generally) of "positivity & constructivism"! Always say good things, keep bad things to yourself (or couch them in ameliorating language, e.g. "this looks cool, but I'm concerned about whether it's actually going to be completed, given it's track record,..." etc etc). But food for thought.

15. Tauer

Tauer

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    That is a valid point Kyrbi0, and I agree to an extent. I am a supporter of freedom of speech, which is also why I added in my "you're entitled to your opinion" remark. In this you're absolutely right.

But

Freedom of speech doesn't equal freedom from criticism. Just as he's free to say what he wants, I am also free to call him out for it. And you are right when you say that we need adversity in order to grow, and this is where constructive criticism comes in. If people disagree with you and explain why in a constructive manner, this is something that's helpful for you to evolve, not just as a mod author but as a person as well. Problem is that the comment in question was not constructive in any way. It was negative for the sake of being negative. And that, to me, is just a complete waste of a comment. Because it will not help Rommel in any way.

In regards to your 'what other alternative is there' question, I think this one is easy. Either phrase it in a more constructive manner or just don't say anything. It's not necessary to say everything that pops in your mind. I'm sure everybody has thought something in real life at some point, but held their tongue because it wasn't appropriate to say it. Why should it be any different just because we're hidden behind a screen? Common courtesy should still apply. I can't force people to be polite, but I sure as hell can call them out on it when they're not.

Anyway, thank you for your well-phrased and reasoned reply :)

16. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    If all those images are in standard Warcraft III that is some nice custom asset work. Top quality at least from the meshes and textures.

17. Unregret

Unregret

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Truly impressive, I can't believe some perfect mod can actually exist like this. Please tell me something more about this cause I'm late:
    - Does this story is related to Warcraft universe?. And the Stygian race, they are like advanced Chaos race similar to Warhammer 40k?
    - I can find these old resources given by Kam, but is there any change I can find the playable map, too? It is better to play them all at once to understand the whole story.

Edit: I check the trailer in Google, it is already 10 years from now. Considered this as an ancient project.

=> Maybe I can give a hand on this project?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  18. shadow2632

shadow2632

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    From all the project I could see in Map Development Heart of Storms is definitely something I was not expecting. After all these years I am staying tuned on this to see how it goes. Best luck!!

19. Rommel

Rommel

Resources:
    Resources:
    It's certainly one's right to question the outcome, especially given that HoS was indeed abandoned once. However, while I am okay with criticism based on some logical assumptions (like Nowow's comment) and can provide answers and clarifications on such, simply stating "you won't make it" would only make me shrug. Okay, that's your opinion.

Anyway. Thanks for your support, folks! It's really appreciated, and I hope you won't be dissappointed by what's coming. A new developer update is on its way, as well as some extras that weren't originally planned.

HoS is placed in Warcraft world and follows current WoW/Chronicles canon. It does introduce factions and events that were never mentioned by Blizzard (in fact the bigger part of HoS events are that), but they don't have an impact on 'historical' events shown in earlier missions. HoS' Alliance and Horde factions are faithful to Warcraft II era (though expanded, basing off current lore), Burning Legion is generally based on concept finalized and cemented in WoW'2016, and Shadow Elves and Stygians are non-canon factions, which, however, are based off Blizzard's concepts (Old Gods/Highborne, and Titanforged, respectively). Generally, HoS does not contradict existing canon in any way, and while its story takes a direction away from story you saw in Warcraft games, you should expect a lot of familiar stuff and canon-faithful cameos if you're familiar with lore.

Stygians are a Titanforged race on the peak of Titan technology, designed to combat the Legion most effectively and resist the fel. They aren't nice guys, however.

HoS campaign was never finished, and triggered missions (about 1/4 of total campaign size) seem to be lost. Possiblly for the best, because the writing wasn't as good as I want it now, and overall mission quality was lacking. The terrain for most missions is done (and saved) and plot is finished, so there's a solid foundation to rebuild ipon.

A question to everyone around:
    Should I release details on HoS story, characters and missions before the actual campaign release?

I'm currently working on updating and heavily rewriting HoS script, and really like how how it's coming together. However, the campaign may take a long while to finish and you've already waited way too long. Delaying further won't be too fair, and releasing spoilerless stuff would provide too little insight on the story, making the whole of it too vague and the wait for actual ingame unveiling a drag. So while I'd still keep the ending and some vital story points a secret, I think of publishing existing HoS synopsis and story online. Especially given all current info on the plot that's floating around is either scattered or heavily outdated.

PM'ed you ^^

20. MogulKahn

MogulKahn

Resources:
    Resources:
    I vote: Yes!

But I have to add. IF we are going to wait +2 years to see this project finished, don't even bother with it. Not trying to sound rude, I am just being realistic.