• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Health Degen on random heroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hey everybody I have a custom ARPG i have been making for over a year and just recently we have entered into testing but a big issue keeps coming up something is cause some players usually 1 to just start dying his/her health just degens and doesn't regenerate luckily their are healers in this map otherwise itd be not manageable as is it becomes incredibly difficult after they don't regen and only degen idk if there is a fix for this or what the root of the problem could be we have thought it could range from being caused by disease cloud or from taking off items and changing them with other items. I've never ran into a bug like this before My map uses fairly simple triggers for the most part spawn triggers/hero selection/times/quest logs nothing too major though and items are fairly simple flat stat items. But for some reason this error keeps occurring while we are almost done the play throughs killing our test runs. IF ANYONE can fix this for me i can credit you either on map immortalized, not meaning a ton but i really would like to expand my map and player base on it since its in early BETA i'm not gonna map drop unless specifically asked by someone. But thank you guys and hopefully someone can help with the fix.

Level 3
also new around here i tried to keep it within guidelines and i wasnt trying to over promote myself just a simple guy trying to fix a bug ty all.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Nonsense health degeneration has two common causes.
  • Floating point error with the units regeneration amount. This is especially the case when dealing with stupid value magnitudes like millions of strength or health regeneration in the millions per second. Only single precision floats are used so when one gets to larger numbers errors can start to accumulate and eventually result in negative health regeneration when brought back down to smaller numbers.
  • Using Chaos to morph a unit. This reapplies all modifications and can result in very buggy behaviour including nonsense like negative health regeneration if the unit is effected by a health regeneration debuff. Rather use bear form to morph the unit type.
An example of the first case was observable in maps like TBZ Tribute Ultra where one was constantly changing magnitudes of strength due to transformations. Eventually one could start to degenerate health or mana when reverted.

An example of the second case was some old RPGs which used Chaos to change weapon types. Health amounts, armor and stuff like that could end up changing which each weapon swap until the unit got into a state it instantly died.

Level 3
"
  • Floating point error with the units regeneration amount. This is especially the case when dealing with stupid value magnitudes like millions of strength or health regeneration in the millions per second. Only single precision floats are used so when one gets to larger numbers errors can start to accumulate and eventually result in negative health regeneration when brought back down to smaller numbers. " maybe this then but my numbers for stats done really exceed the thousands and low end 1k usually so i'm not sure what would cause it or more or less how id go about a fix but there are no morphs used on the heroes ive been seeing it happen on. "Nonsense health degeneration has two common causes." imagine having to type that though lol not nonsense if I can see it happening

Status
Not open for further replies.