• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

HD Terraining Contest #2 - Theme Poll

Vote for the next theme - ONLY VOTE IF YOU PLAN ON PARTICIPATING

• Gothic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Carnival of the dead (or another Carnival oriented theme)

• Clockwork architecture

• Floating archipelago

• Lunar colony

• Reclaimed: Portray some ancient civilization, post-apocalyptic hellscape, overtaken by nature

• Inspiration: Find a piece of environmental art and try to mimic or recreate it in the world-editor

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Alright, time to vote for the theme of the next HD Terraning Contest. Below are some of the themes that was suggested in the theme discussion thread.

NOTICE - Please only vote if you plan on participating. Multiple choice. 3 votes total.
  • Vampire theme
  • Gothic
  • Underwater
  • Carnival of the dead (or another Carnival oriented theme)
  • Frozen wonderland
  • Clockwork architecture
  • Floating archipelago
  • Lunar colony
  • Reclaimed: Portray some ancient civilization, post-apocalyptic hellscape or otherwise that has been overtaken, or "reclaimed" by nature in one way or another.
  • Alien World: Portray an alternate world of your own making (not necessarily sci-fi), where you set the rules and create something unique and weird that only makes sense within the confines of what it is.
  • Inspiration: Find a piece of environmental art that you find inspirational, whether it be from another game, just general fantasy or anything in-between, and try to mimic or recreate it in the world-editor at the best of your ability.

JnM

JnM

Level 12
@Sapprine I think you're probably better off just waiting for the contest to start. We don't even know what the theme is going to be. Not to mention, you'll have a couple of months to do it :peasant-wink: .

@Archian Can we clarify what the rule will be for SD models? Can they be tolerated inside the HD format? I'm not a modeler and no SD allowed means I'm pretty much stuck with vanilla HD models. The HD custom model pool is no where near comparable to the SD one.

JnM

JnM

Level 12
@Archian I'm sorry for being a pain in the ass on this point, but the top 3 winners in the last terrain contest did not, as you put it, "work within limits". They were all modelers, and made their own custom models to enhance their entry. This contest will clearly give an edge to modelers, if the only custom models we accept are people who know how to make HD models themselves.

I think I made a fair point in the previous discussion about multiple potential contestants expressing a desire for a hybrid contest for this very reason. We should at least put it to a vote.

I'm sorry for being a pain in the ass on this point, but the top 3 winners in the last terrain contest did not, as you put it, "work within limits". They were all modelers
BranaR who ended second place didn't use any custom models to my knowledge and FeelsGoodMan only used models from other people (including me) and didn't make any himself.

As far as I'm aware, I was the only terrainer + modeler during the last contest. And to keep things fair, I posted everything I made on Hive model section publicly for everyone to use as soon as I made them. This time, I plan to do the same.

Anything I'll make for this contest, others will be able to use aswell.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I think I made a fair point in the previous discussion about multiple potential contestants expressing a desire for a hybrid contest for this very reason. We should at least put it to a vote.
Indeed, this should have been resolved before the start of the contest.
Would it be too late to make a poll for this @Archian just to be 100% sure the majority want full HD?

I would like to raise a concern about the Frozen Wonderland theme.
Reforged has very few consistent ice doodads, a lot of them are randomly very dark, others interact very weirdly with light/reflection and many others have a bugged blue glow and are really bright.

1689961790706.png

All in all, contestants wouldn't have much to work with, especially considering there aren't any ice-themed HD custom models on Hive, as far as I can tell.
I'm not joking, like half of the overall ice doodads are broken or inconsistent one way or another.

Last edited:
Level 36
Late to the party I see, well, I'd still like to pitch in my voice regarding the HD vs. SD models discussion.

I think both should be allowed in equal measure, because I think it should be up to the terrainer in question to determine whether something is of high enough quality to qualify for their terrain, this has always been a part of the process of making a terrain, even before reforged. And the ability to mix and match doodads that fit together is one of the things I always look at when judging a terrain. In this way, the "challenge" is not to work with a limited dataset of resources, but to match them together in a reasonable, clever and pleasant manner.

Even before reforged a shit model was still a shit model.

Also, if we're really going to run with "Vampire Theme", please provide a clear and coherent definition of what we'll have to make, because I for one do not find the term "vampire" defining enough in regards to scenic aesthetics.

Last edited:

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
How about this description:

Guidelines: Participants are tasked with designing a scene or scenes (3-4 screenshots of different angles) showcasing an HD environment that captures the essence of vampire folklore, complete with eerie landscapes, ancient castles, mist-shrouded forests, and chilling crypts. Entrants are encouraged to incorporate elements such as:
  • Landscape: Craft an immersive terrain that portrays the brooding landscapes where vampires dwell. From desolate moors to ominous mountains, let your imagination run wild.
  • Architecture: Create grandiose vampire castles with Gothic-inspired architecture, secret chambers, and eerie catacombs that tell tales of centuries-long undead existence.
  • Ambiance: Utilize terrain textures, lighting, and effects to evoke an atmosphere of perpetual dusk and enchanting moonlit nights.
  • Details: Pay attention to intricate details that breathe life into your terrain – from cobweb-covered corners to cryptic symbols etched into stone.
SD models are allowed, but shouldn't stand out too much.

Last edited:
How about this description:

Guidelines: Participants are tasked with designing a scene or scenes (3-4 screenshots of different angles) showcasing an HD environment that captures the essence of vampire folklore, complete with eerie landscapes, ancient castles, mist-shrouded forests, and chilling crypts. Entrants are encouraged to incorporate elements such as:
  • Landscape: Craft an immersive terrain that portrays the brooding landscapes where vampires dwell. From desolate moors to ominous mountains, let your imagination run wild.
  • Architecture: Create grandiose vampire castles with Gothic-inspired architecture, secret chambers, and eerie catacombs that tell tales of centuries-long undead existence.
  • Ambiance: Utilize terrain textures, lighting, and effects to evoke an atmosphere of perpetual dusk and enchanting moonlit nights.
  • Details: Pay attention to intricate details that breathe life into your terrain – from cobweb-covered corners to cryptic symbols etched into stone.
SD models are allowed, but shouldn't stand out too much.
No offense, but this is pretty much Free Real Estate to anyone who knows how to model and create custom light sources and a metaphorical middle finger to anyone stuck with standard assets and the almost completely non-existent Hive HD doodad section. Even if SD stuff is allowed, it's not allowed to stand out much, leaving the average contestant stuck with pretty much nothing but dungeon cliffs and Cityscape walls...

I think the description should specify something like "try and be as creative as possible with standard assets" or something... I know I'm pretty much the only contestant who knows how to make custom models, but now that you've mentioned "cobweb-covered corners to cryptic symbols etched into stone", "grandiose vampire castles with Gothic-inspired architecture" and Custom Lighting, it just feels to me at least that you're literally inviting those capable of making their own models while screwing the rest.

These examples you've mentioned are pretty much impossible feats with standard reforged assets.

Apologies for my rudeness, but I just felt like this needed to be said

Level 36
No offense, but this is pretty much Free Real Estate to anyone who knows how to model and create custom light sources and a metaphorical middle finger to anyone stuck with standard assets and the almost completely non-existent Hive HD doodad section. Even if SD stuff is allowed, it's not allowed to stand out much, leaving the average contestant stuck with pretty much nothing but dungeon cliffs and Cityscape walls...

Firstly, most participants won't be versed in both areas. Secondly, even if they are, the rules will (or should, they did before) compel them to have to share whatever assets they make for the contest with the community. And thirdly, there are plenty of assets that will make this theme entirely possible.

Just to mention a few:

Not to mention that the hive HD resource section has more than enough stuff for us to experiment with, here's a little list I made back when I started working on the idea of a Reforged UTM: UTM Reforged Assets to be Considered

While I appreciate the effort and work you put into providing a great description of the theme, I feel like the "guidelines" part put too many limitations and/or obligations on the participants. If the terrains "has to" include ancient castles, mist-shrouded forests and chilling crypts, then the entries won't be very varied, and this also very much butchers the participant's creative freedom. Obviously, a simple rephrasing could fix this: Instead of "complete with" it could say "such as" to suggest that these are just ideas, not requirements. Other than that I really like the theme description, I for sure find it much clearer now.

My main concern is in regards to "3-4 screenshots of different angles", I thought we agreed that this was going to be a scenic terraining contest? If you have to make a terrain that can be seen from different angles, it is no longer scenic, then it might as well be playable and we might as well just make a fully fledged playable terrain. My main concern with this is the fog-editor in the new worldeditor, it reacts badly with the terrain and you have to be creative in order to make it work, having to do that for 3-4 angles of the same terrain is going to be a real pain to go through.

Level 36
Yes and no, the thing about scenic terraining is that it usually only works from one angle, because you use depth perception and positioning of the camera to create effects with lighting and fog by the use of glow models and cloud models and such, which only works from one angle at a time. That's the essence of scenic terraining. Furthermore, many structures and pieces of structures are often placed in such a way that if you alter the angle even slightly, everything will look off.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
I will set the contest up tonight :) Given that the description is acceptable?

Guidelines: Participants are tasked with designing a scene showcasing an HD environment that captures the essence of vampire folklore, with for instance: eerie landscapes, ancient castles, mist-shrouded forests, and chilling crypts. SD models are allowed, but shouldn't stand out too much. Entrants are encouraged to incorporate elements such as but not limited to:

Question, so i know terraining in advance before the start of the contest is strictly forbidden, but am I allowed to start working on custom models for the contest in advance? (Asking before I actually started doing it)
I guess, but only if you also release them to the public before the contest starts. At least other competitions have had rules about only using resources that are public, to keep it fair.

I'm sorry for being a pain in the ass on this point, but the top 3 winners in the last terrain contest did not, as you put it, "work within limits". They were all modelers, and made their own custom models to enhance their entry.
As much as I'd love to be a good modeler, sadly I'm not 😄 I used mostly vanilla assets, along with some custom models from Hive, but that's pretty much it. I didn't use any resources that weren't public at the time of the contest, and I didn't make or edit any assets for the contest. May I ask though, what assets did you think were custom?

As a side note, and my two cents on the hybrid assets, @JnM @Archian @Sapprine @Celaquil: I'd like to keep it purely HD, with no SD assets at all. This is because;
  • There are limitations in the HD editor that are easy to circumvent with SD assets. This incentivizes people to take the easy and lazy way out. Examples of this is to use uber sky models to create the sky, and using fog models to circumvent the fog issue. Because of this there will be no innovation in HD terraining since people will fall back on old techniques to achieve desirable results rather than trying to work within the HD limits.
  • If using HD assets new terrainers and old terrainers are on "equal ground", whereas when also using SD assets the newer terrainers will be massively outclassed since they don't know the best practices within SD like uber sky models, lens flares, alpha tiles, and lots of other things people use.
  • Old timers will fall back on SD because the SD assets that are made for scenic terraining are so good for their intended purposes that there's literally no reason to use HD assets. The only reason is the lighting and shading, but with the SD assets that are available it's pretty easy to make fake ambient occlusion and lighting, making it look even better than the HD lighting/shading.
  • Having a contest with "HD" in its name while also allowing non HD content is counter-intuitive.

Level 36
There are limitations in the HD editor that are easy to circumvent with SD assets. This incentivizes people to take the easy and lazy way out. Examples of this is to use uber sky models to create the sky, and using fog models to circumvent the fog issue. Because of this there will be no innovation in HD terraining since people will fall back on old techniques to achieve desirable results rather than trying to work within the HD limits.

By that logic you might as well suggest we go for a no-imports contest, because the "point is to work with the limited resources we have at hand" and we should try to be innovative with the limits this imposes upon us to forge new paths in terraining. And while I can appreciate the sentiment, I don't think this should be the aim of a scenic terraining contest, or rather: It could be the aim of a scenic terraining contest, just not all of them in general.

The limitations that are part of the HD editor are not supposed to be there, and it is not because of these limitations we should be going for HD, but despite them: Because HD assets are a massive improvement upon terraining and the HD editor has some amazing new features. This is why I think allowing SD models for the exact reasons you list as reasons against the argument supports it: We can circumvent the fog and sky issue by the use of Glow/Black glow models, custom cloud models and custom skyboxes, this is not lazy or "archaic", it takes a lot of skill and practice to use those resources and techniques efficiently, and so long as it provides the most desirable and appealing results, I hardly see why this should be considered a bad thing.

If using HD assets new terrainers and old terrainers are on "equal ground", whereas when also using SD assets the newer terrainers will be massively outclassed since they don't know the best practices within SD like uber sky models, lens flares, alpha tiles, and lots of other things people use.

Yes and no, and also: So long as the baseline rules are equal to and understood by all participants, then the only "inequality" between participants is their skill and knowledge, which is true for any and all contests in existence.

Old timers will fall back on SD because the SD assets that are made for scenic terraining are so good for their intended purposes that there's literally no reason to use HD assets. The only reason is the lighting and shading, but with the SD assets that are available it's pretty easy to make fake ambient occlusion and lighting, making it look even better than the HD lighting/shading.

Well.

It is true that Talavaj's modular doodads, oGre and Nan0's stuff and the likes are exceptional for terraining, but those are hardly reasons to exclude them from the contest, they are open resources for all to use. Also, I have found in my fiddling with the HD editor that a good mix of old and new is preferrable, and I don't think the challenge of the contest should be to work within limits to achieve a desired result, rather the achievement of the desired result in and off itself should be the challenge. The Wc3 Editor, new or old, is a challenging and limiting tool to work with regardless, why should we aim to make it even more challenging and limiting on purpose?

Having a contest with "HD" in its name while also allowing non HD content is counter-intuitive.

Nah, it's HD because we use the HD Editor, and most of us will be mostly using HD assets anyway, while only supplementing with SD models when necessary. Overall though, my main argument is as such: We have a plethora of assets made by exceptional modders at our fingertips, and a lot of the SD stuff works perfectly well with the HD stuff, in truth I find the distinction between "SD/HD" to begin with rather silly: There was always a difference in quality of resources that were made by the modding community even before Reforged, but back then it was just a matter of whether an asset was of good or bad quality, not which "category" of quality it belonged to.

By that logic you might as well suggest we go for a no-imports contest
Using imported HD assets doesn't automatically circumvent the limitations of the editor, so one can still innovate and find new ways to "beat" the HD world editor while also using imported models.

I don't think this should be the aim of a scenic terraining contest, or rather: It could be the aim of a scenic terraining contest, just not all of them in general.
This is a HD scenic contest though. Had it been any scenic terrain contest then by all means. However, it's not just any terrain contest. It's specifically a HD terrain contest.

The limitations that are part of the HD editor are not supposed to be there, and it is not because of these limitations we should be going for HD, but despite them
Whether or not they are intended/supposed to be there I don't think we should fall back on SD simply because the limitations are "harder" to circumvent if we stick to HD.

This is why I think allowing SD models for the exact reasons you list as reasons against the argument supports it: We can circumvent the fog and sky issue by the use of Glow/Black glow models, custom cloud models and custom skyboxes, this is not lazy or "archaic", it takes a lot of skill and practice to use those resources and techniques efficiently, and so long as it provides the most desirable and appealing results, I hardly see why this should be considered a bad thing.
I'm not saying using these resources well is lazy or archaic, or lacking in skill in any way at all, I'm saying resorting to using SD assets in a HD terraining contest simply because they can easily circumvent certain issues/bugs is lazy. Like I said before, there is no innovation, just a fallback on what is "safe" and feels comfortable to work with.

Yes and no, and also: So long as the baseline rules are equal to and understood by all participants, then the only "inequality" between participants is their skill and knowledge, which is true for any and all contests in existence.
Well sure it is equal for all (as it should be). I'm just talking about SD assets giving old-timers the upper hand since they have been around for ages and know all the old techniques and tricks to achieve good results. When only using HD mode even old-timers are in fresh waters, still figuring out how to achieve the results they want.

It is true that Talavaj's modular doodads, oGre and Nan0's stuff and the likes are exceptional for terraining, but those are hardly reasons to exclude them from the contest, they are open resources for all to use.
I'm not saying they should be excluded because they are good, I'm saying all SD models should be excluded because the main goal is to create a scene that looks amazing, something which is easier to do with SD assets. Not only because there are a lot of good SD models, but also because of the vast library of models that exists within the category. Because of that I believe most people who actually knows how to make good terrain will simply just fall back on SD models (except if they're really trying to stick to HD).

Also, I have found in my fiddling with the HD editor that a good mix of old and new is preferrable, and I don't think the challenge of the contest should be to work within limits to achieve a desired result, rather the achievement of the desired result in and off itself should be the challenge. The Wc3 Editor, new or old, is a challenging and limiting tool to work with regardless, why should we aim to make it even more challenging and limiting on purpose?
That would be true for a regular terrain contest, however, this is a HD contest, intended for HD mode specifically. That in itself implies a limitation. All contests are about working within limits to achieve a desired result, including terrain contests.

Nah, it's HD because we use the HD Editor, and most of us will be mostly using HD assets anyway, while only supplementing with SD models when necessary.
You say most of us will be using HD assets, but there's literally nothing stopping me from using 100% SD assets, in the HD editor. The light and shading doesn't even work in the HD editor, so it will look just like SD mode. I fail to see how that is an OK or permissible submission to a HD terraining contest.

Overall though, my main argument is as such: We have a plethora of assets made by exceptional modders at our fingertips
We do indeed, but they should be used in "open" terrain contests. Allowing SD assets in HD contests incentivizes using old models rather than creating new and better ones with ORM textures and reflective materials etc. It is no secret that lots of the models that are used in pre-HD scenic terraining were made specifically for scenic terraining.

I find the distinction between "SD/HD" to begin with rather silly: There was always a difference in quality of resources that were made by the modding community even before Reforged, but back then it was just a matter of whether an asset was of good or bad quality, not which "category" of quality it belonged to.
The categories are not so much akin to their "quality", but rather how the models are made. The main thing that distinguishes a SD model from a HD model is their ORM textures. ORM textures adds a level of realism by making the models be affected by light sources and shadows in different ways, whereas SD models stays unchanged. The distinction between HD and SD is not purely because of this, but rather because Blizzard chose to split the game into two "modes" called SD and HD. It's just easier to refer to the assets in HD mode by saying HD assets, and the old assets as SD assets.

People have different opinions of course, and in a normal situation I'd be down to use any kinds of assets in the terrain contest.... as long as it was just another terrain contest. This however is specifically a HD contest, so it should stay true to its title. Deviating from HD assets in a HD contest is a slippery slope to pure SD model terrains submitted to HD contests.

I guess, but only if you also release them to the public before the contest starts. At least other competitions have had rules about only using resources that are public, to keep it fair.
Im afriad not all my models would be 100% up to par with Hive's model speficiations

Like, they'll be only visible from one angle or just a tweak on a standard model.
I'd love to share all of them publicly, but im afraid I might get in trouble with hive model reviewers

Im afriad not all my models would be 100% up to par with Hive's model speficiations

Like, they'll be only visible from one angle or just a tweak on a standard model.
I'd love to share all of them publicly, but im afraid I might get in trouble with hive model reviewers
Posting models in a pastebin and linking it would suffice.

I'm by no means a pro at modeling, all I can do is kitbash components from standard models, basic model attachments and composing static doodads/buildings without building/death animations.

Also I tend to make stuff as I go during the contest, like I'll see/come up with whatever my scene needs and start tweaking/making stuff on the spot. I won't have anything like a "complete library" ready to go the moment the contest starts.

And lastly, most of my models won't be up to par with Hive's Resource Submission specifications.

But still, here's what I promise:
Any model I make for this contest will be publicly uploaded right after I make it and before I've even got it imported into the editor, which I think is more than fair.

I'm by no means a pro at modeling, all I can do is kitbash components from standard models, basic model attachments and composing static doodads/buildings without building/death animations.

Also I tend to make stuff as I go during the contest, like I'll see/come up with whatever my scene needs and start tweaking/making stuff on the spot. I won't have anything like a "complete library" ready to go the moment the contest starts.

And lastly, most of my models won't be up to par with Hive's Resource Submission specifications.

But still, here's what I promise:
Any model I make for this contest will be publicly uploaded right after I make it and before I've even got it imported into the editor, which I think is more than fair.
Sorry but this is a hard disagree/deal breaker for me. By "doing stuff as you go" you're not only starting off at unequal grounds, but contestants who are participating might have made other design choices had they had access to the same resources as you're using/planning to use.

I can port whatever resources i want, tweak models, change stuff up, make simple animations, retexture things to my liking and pretty much do whatever I want with models to get the result I want, however I don't. It's unfair to everyone else. Publicizing your models "right after you make them" is not according to the rules I am used to in other contests. Normally people are only allowed to use resources that are public at the time of the contest start.

Do like everyone else and use what's available, or make your stuff public before the contest.

Sorry but this is a hard disagree/deal breaker for me. By "doing stuff as you go" you're not only starting off at unequal grounds, but contestants who are participating might have made other design choices had they had access to the same resources as you're using/planning to use.

I can port whatever resources i want, tweak models, change stuff up, make simple animations, retexture things to my liking and pretty much do whatever I want with models to get the result I want, however I don't. It's unfair to everyone else. Publicizing your models "right after you make them" is not according to the rules I am used to in other contests. Normally people are only allowed to use resources that are public at the time of the contest start.

Do like everyone else and use what's available, or make your stuff public before the contest.
alright, here it is:

Guess I won't be making any more then :/

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Alright, so here's our take on the HD/SD topic.

Some SD models in submissions are allowed, but be careful, as we expect to see a HD terrain. If it smells too much like SD, it will most likely give a poorer placement or be disqualified if mainly SD. And remember, all entries must render correctly and be judged in the HD mode of Warcraft 3 Reforged.

Some SD models in submissions are allowed, but be careful, as we expect to see a HD terrain. If it smells too much like SD, it will most likely give a poorer placement or be disqualified if mainly SD. And remember, all entries must render correctly and be judged in the HD mode of Warcraft 3 Reforged.
and whats your take on contestants making their own custom models?
FeelsGoodMan proposed all custom models have to be made public before the contest starts, but for me personally, I usually become inspired and compelled to make models as I'm terraining. Off course I'll still make everything public, but to go hands-off the moment the contest starts is gonna be difficult...

Some things that should be clarified in the contest rules:
  1. How many SD models are "too many"?
  2. At whose discretion will potential disqualifications be made?
  3. What judging metrics does the judges use to reduce an entry's rating due to SD models?

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
and whats your take on contestants making their own custom models?
FeelsGoodMan proposed all custom models have to be made public before the contest starts, but for me personally, I usually become inspired and compelled to make models as I'm terraining. Off course I'll still make everything public, but to go hands-off the moment the contest starts is gonna be difficult...
Minor model edits of existing models are allowed. But for the most part the models have to be public so not to give an unfair advantage. This is a contest for terrainers and not modelers per say.
Some things that should be clarified in the contest rules:
  1. How many SD models are "too many"?
  2. At whose discretion will potential disqualifications be made?
  3. What judging metrics does the judges use to reduce an entry's rating due to SD models?
1. If the terrain looks SD at first glance basically.
2. The assigned staff member and potential judges.
3. If too many SD assets are used and it takes away the HD feel, it may be disqualified. So, keep the SD to a minimum and/or don't emphasize the SD assets too much.

Reactions: JnM
Minor model edits of existing models are allowed. But for the most part the models have to be public so not to give an unfair advantage. This is a contest for terrainers and not modelers per say.
all my model edits are just kitbashes/recomps of existing, official reforged models. So they are within reason I guess?

all my model edits are just kitbashes/recomps of existing, official reforged models. So they are within reason I guess?
The issue with this is that you're downplaying the significance of "simple edits". Simple edits can make a world of difference, since removing parts from certain models in essence turns them into completely new and different models. Work with what you have, and if you need something that doesn't have a model, try to build it with what's already available.

The issue with this is that you're downplaying the significance of "simple edits". Simple edits can make a world of difference, since removing parts from certain models in essence turns them into completely new and different models. Work with what you have, and if you need something that doesn't have a model, try to build it with what's already available.
well in any case, can we get an official statement from @Archian to clarify what allowed and whats not?