• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

HD Terraining Contest #2: Theme Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Calling all visionary designers and masterful mappers! It's time to channel your imagination and join the sizzling brainstorming session for Hive Workshop's HD Terraining Contest #2 theme discussion! Prepare to set your creativity ablaze and embark on an extraordinary journey where ideas meet reality.

Now, as the contest gears up for its second edition, we need your spark to ignite the flames of inspiration. We believe that true magic lies within the minds of our talented members, and this time, it's your chance to shape the destiny of the contest.

We understand that great ideas can come from anyone, anywhere, at any time. That's why we invite you to take part in the theme discussion for the Terraining Contest #2. Share your vision, fuel the discussions, and be the guiding light that leads us to an unforgettable contest theme. Whether it's a lush fantasy world, a futuristic metropolis, or an enchanting realm of ancient ruins, the possibilities are endless! :D

Think big, think bold, and think outside the box! As the theme discussions unfold, dive deep into the realms of your imagination. Visualize landscapes that will captivate the world, construct scenarios that will stir emotions, and craft terrains that will leave us breathless. Each idea has the potential to inspire countless others and set the stage for the ultimate terraining extravaganza.

Remember, this contest is your opportunity to make an indelible mark on the terraining universe. Whether you're a seasoned veteran or a rising star, your voice matters. Don't underestimate the power of your ideas. So post your ideas today and let's make this a great contest :)

Below you'll find some of the suggested themes for the our last HD Terraining Contest.
  • Lair (home of a creature e.g. spider, dragon, troll etc.)
  • Temple
  • Altar
  • Landmark buildings that are dedicated to gods and godlike creatures
  • Void
  • Elven forest
  • Vampires
  • Place of cult
  • Aztec/Mayan
  • Demons/hell
New theme suggestions:
  • Vampire theme
  • Gothic
  • Underwater
  • Carnival of the dead (or another Carnival oriented theme)
  • Frozen wonderland
  • Clockwork architecture
  • Floating archipelago
  • Lunar colony
  • Reclaimed: Portray some ancient civilization, post-apocalyptic hellscape or otherwise that has been overtaken, or "reclaimed" by nature in one way or another.
  • Alien World: Portray an alternate world of your own making (not necessarily sci-fi), where you set the rules and create something unique and weird that only makes sense within the confines of what it is.
  • Inspiration: Find a piece of environmental art that you find inspirational, whether it be from another game, just general fantasy or anything in-between, and try to mimic or recreate it in the world-editor at the best of your ability.

Last edited:
Again, may I recommend something like Revendreth from WoW as Contest theme? It's like a grim vampire realm within the warcraft universe.
1689254000972.png

1689254051301.png
Would be really epic and not too farfetched, even for people without modeling experise. Underground tileset, mix of Outland, Northrend and Cityscape doodads. :D

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
If I'd suggest something, it'd be abstract terraining in general or within any of those themes. E.g. something weird representing or symbolizing a vampire city/town like in @Sapprine's post but not being so obvious or so close to realism.
Instead of the above representations, you could have springs of coagulated blood forming the frames/borders of "buildings", fresh blood for windows and gate, lighter and dark ink for the moon and clouds. Vampires could be part of the bloody structures themselves, like a sort of fluid symbiosis. Heck, everything could be made of blood if you have the creative imagination for it and the technique to differently depict everything.
I'm not much of a visual artist so I can't really show a proper concept of what I mean.

If I'd suggest something, it'd be abstract terraining in general or within any of those themes. E.g. something weird representing or symbolizing a vampire city/town like in @Sapprine's post but not being so obvious or so close to realism.
Instead of the above representations, you could have springs of coagulated blood forming the frames/borders of "buildings", fresh blood for windows and gate, lighter and dark ink for the moon and clouds. Vampires could be part of the bloody structures themselves, like a sort of fluid symbiosis. Heck, everything could be made of blood if you have the creative imagination for it and the technique to differently depict everything.
I'm not much of a visual artist so I can't really show a proper concept of what I mean.
Long story short, vampire theme :p
Whether people do Revendreth or something abstractly grim/like you suggested would be up to them. Perfect!

Sorry to be a party pooper, but vampires is such an overused and non-original theme. I know people can make their own unique and original motives, but I feel my mouth drying up from the mere thought of having to make vampire stuff.

Theme ideas:
  1. Underwater
  2. Carnival of the dead (or another Carnival oriented theme)
  3. Frozen wonderland
  4. Clockwork architecture
  5. Floating archipelago
  6. Lunar colony

Level 36
Instead of "Vampire" we could potentially just go with "Gothic", with a little freedom of interpretation on the account of the participants.

As for serious suggestions, I feel like any theme we go for here should be specific enough to pose some challenge while at the same time be open enough that the submissions won't need to needlessly hang on the very limited selection of available assets we currently have.

In the vein of this I feel like, for instance, "clockwork architecture" is a bit too narrow, whereas "Altar" is a bit too vague. Personally, I'd like something along the lines of:

• Reclaimed: Portray some ancient civilization, post-apocalyptic hellscape or otherwise that has been overtaken, or "reclaimed" by nature in one way or another.
  • Alien World: Portray an alternate world of your own making (not necessarily sci-fi), where you set the rules and create something unique and weird that only makes sense within the confines of what it is.
  • Inspiration: Find a piece of environmental art that you find inspirational, whether it be from another game, just general fantasy or anything in-between, and try to mimic or recreate it in the world-editor at the best of your ability.

I'll add more if I think of anything else.

1. Underwater
  2. Carnival of the dead (or another Carnival oriented theme)
  3. Frozen wonderland
  4. Clockwork architecture
  5. Floating archipelago
  6. Lunar colony
I love all of these! Except number 2, 4 and 6 will require a lot of custom models and not many terrainers who are also modellers... Remember this is HD contest and the HD doodad section on hive is severely limited.

But I am TOTALLY down for Underwater and Frozen Wonderland! :D

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I love all of these! Except number 2, 4 and 6 will require a lot of custom models and not many terrainers who are also modellers... Remember this is HD contest and the HD doodad section on hive is severely limited.
That's where your creativity comes in. Besides one could do a few small edits themselves (with a model editor) if able to and if the rules permit.

Status
Not open for further replies.