• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

New Terrain contest - general discussion

JnM

JnM

Level 12
Howdy all,

I'd like to formally propose a general discussion for a new terrain contest. It's been several months since the last one, which saw a total of 7 entries and lots of interest.

There are a few things that would need to be discussed, primarily:

• HD, SD or a hybrid format.
  • Theme.
  • Potential participants, moderator and judges.
  • Other rules or points of discussion.

Links:

HD Terraining Contest # 1 - HD Terraining Contest #1 - RESULTS

@Archian @Celaquil @Sapprine @FeelsGoodMan @BranaR @Shayoo @Le Shaysonio @CustomCreations @Armelior_is_back

Would be cool with a HD level design contest tbh. Scenic terrains were never my thing, I prefer something with more practical appliance. If you make a contest I'll probably participate, so if you insist on making a scenic one I prefer to use HD assets since HD scenic terraining is still a relatively unexplored venture with lots of potential.

Level 36
I'm also leaning toward HD, mostly because I want to participate, and I'd love to fiddle more with HD terrains.

Though I see the problems, especially related to fog and shadows, which are still bugged in the editor (not to mention random crashes and corruptions for random reasons), I still agree that there is a lot of untapped potential with the HD editor to be explored.

Hybrid would be difficult in my opinion though, much like why dog shows only allow same breed dogs to compete with same breed dogs, the difference in quality of assets and difficulty involved with the making of the terrains would make it very hard to fairly judge SD terrains against HD terrains and vice versa without a big level of bias involved. I certainly wouldn't be comfortable with doing so.

In terms of scenic vs. level design (playable), while I too would love to see a level design concept, I feel like it's easier to get people involved with the scenic variant, and personally I prefer scenic overall. But the main point against level design is how much more work is involved in the process.

I got another cool idea! :D

Hive is severely lacking on HD Doodad, Tree and Environment doodads for reforged graphics.

So what if we do a Hybrid competition where during Part 1, modelers get to create like a HD doodad pack fitting a certain theme and then Part 2, immediately follow it up with a terraining contest in which contestants make a scene out of the custom doodads from the modeling competition?

I got another cool idea! :D

Hive is severely lacking on HD Doodad, Tree and Environment doodads for reforged graphics.

So what if we do a Hybrid competition where during Part 1, modelers get to create like a HD doodad pack fitting a certain theme and then Part 2, immediately follow it up with a terraining contest in which contestants make a scene out of the custom doodads from the modeling competition?
Terrainers aren't modellers and modellers aren't terrainers. If you want to do something like this it's better to just host a model competition separately, not part of a multi-contest kind of thing. Then after the modelling contest is done you host another terrain contest. I'm gonna take a wild guess that exactly 0% who participate in the modelling contest will be participating in the terrain contest (maybe except yourself).

Besides, what are the rules gonna be? That terrainers only can use assets from the modelling contest? That's too limiting when it comes to what models can be used. If the rules are that the models must simply be included in the map then there isn't really a point.

Terrainers aren't modellers and modellers aren't terrainers.
Separate contestants for each competition.
That terrainers only can use assets from the modelling contest?
Nope, they can use regular in-game assets too and choose from any of the contestants doodad packs and use them in whatever combination they want.

That's too limiting when it comes to what models can be used.
theres barely any HD doodads on hive! Like literally almost none. I literally made like 25% of all HD doodad models currently posted. It's a severely lacking category, the main focus will be expanding the library and creating an epic HD terrain contest afterwards.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
And here I thought you'd write HD terrain with Classic but the best quality doodads on top or a mix of HD and high quality SD ones. Of course that would mean you'd have to be creative on making proper shadows and lighting since SD doesn't have that special Reforged texture thing.

And here I thought you'd write HD terrain with Classic but the best quality doodads on top or a mix of HD and high quality SD ones. Of course that would mean you'd have to be creative on making proper shadows and lighting since SD doesn't have that special Reforged texture thing.
im saying pure HD doodad modeling contest with a certain theme

when thats concluded a pure HD terraining contest with the same theme and contestants get to make use of the HD doodads made by the other contest

Level 36
Not gonna lie, a doodad modelling contest sounds awesome, but mostly or entirely for greedy reasons! :)

The way I see it, if there would be a "part 1 / part 2" theme, I reckon it'd have to be a joint contest, where a modeller and a terrainer joins forces, the modeller makes a small pack of doodads and the terrainer makes a terrain where those doodads are central to the theme and execution of the terrain. Not sure we'd have enough interested participants to pull that off, though.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I still think HD Doodad modelling contest with a theme first.

Once thats done, a HD terraining contest with the same theme and all contestants get to utilize the incredible library of doodads from the other contest.
Basically, prolonging the start of a HD terraining contest to who knows how much time. What if you start the HD asset contest idea as a separate thing and when or if it will be done another such terraining contest can be put to work. Meanwhile let this one run.

Basically, prolonging the start of a HD terraining contest to who knows how much time. What if you start the HD asset contest idea as a separate thing and when or if it will be done another such terraining contest can be put to work. Meanwhile let this one run.
Have you seen the HD doodad section on hive? How incredibly limited it is?

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Why are you so focused on custom/community made HD assets when there hadn't even been that many Reforged terraining contests with the game's assets in the first place? I mean, if you have these external made doodads as a requirement then why even join this contest? I'm saying, your idea should be optional not mandatory. There can be other HD terraining contests after this one. When such an HD doodad model contest will be done, then you could start another terraining one considering those newly made assets if you so wish. Why complicate a contest by mixing in another?

Bruh, the doodad model selection on Hive has nothing to do with terrain contests. If you want to expand the doodad model selection host HD modelling contests, you don't have to drag the terrain contest into the equation. If you want to make terrain contests with Hive doodad model related themes in the future there's nothing stopping you from doing that.

JnM

JnM

Level 12
Regarding the SD/HD discussion, it looks like most of us agree it should be HD. The question is whether SD entries should be accepted. Best way to find out would be a poll!

For what it's worth, I think the contest stands to gain by allowing SD entries. Why not allow the community to showcase the World Editor's terrain potential, pitting SD and HD versions against each other, in all it's glory? In the last vote about this, more than 40% of folks voted in favor for SD entries. Cutting out nearly half of potential participants just seems needlessly exclusive for an already niche community like wc3 modding.

At the very least, SD models should be accepted in the HD entries. Again, in the last contest there were several entries that either had to pull out or modify their original entry because they had used a few SD models.

Last edited:

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
What should the theme of the next HD Terraining Contest #2 be?

We settled on HD being the format, correct?

Last edited: