1. Are you planning to upload your awesome model to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Halberd

Submitted by Mythic
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
Human Halberd, efficient when used against cavalry short handed people as it reaches long distances.

No racism included

Keywords:
Halberd, Human, Myth, Defensive Offense, Spear
Contents

Halberd (Model)

Reviews
15:06, 11th Oct 2014 MiniMage: Please work on the lance aspect of the Halberd. The spear portion is supposed to be a larger focuspoint than the axepoint. 15:06, 24th Oct 2014 MiniMage: The changes has made the model approvable. It feels like the...
  1. 15:06, 11th Oct 2014
    MiniMage: Please work on the lance aspect of the Halberd. The spear portion is supposed to be a larger focuspoint than the axepoint.

15:06, 24th Oct 2014
    MiniMage: The changes has made the model approvable. It feels like the staff portion is a little longer than it should be, but this is more of a personal preference. The weapon is useful. As for its use, it was never really deployed as an anti cavalry weapon. It was more like versatile weapon enabling guards to defend both close and medium range.

Generally speaking, if you had guards, it's most likely that they carried a Halberd and a sword. If you were going for cavalry defense, then you'd generally round up infantry into a infantry square formation, this would create a wall of pikes/spears, which would take down cavalry that tried to charge this. Then again, that depends on the type of cavalry. Full armored knights, on armored horses, with lances, a battalion of those would plow through the infantry with spears.

Anyhow, back to what I was originally doing.
    I'll approve the model. Huzzah.

2. Mythic

Mythic

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Reserved. I might need some info on attachment height.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  3. Misha

Misha

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    that halberd's blade looks like it needs to be a lill more bigger, and the long handle should probably have some wood with lill more contrast

4. Not bad at all, but Misha's right. The blade looks a bit small. Good work anyway :)

5. Zed

Zed

Resources:
    Resources:
    Looks nice, Make the blade a lil bigger.
    4/5

6. MiniMage

MiniMage

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    There's no spear edge attached to this halberd. A halberd generally is like a hybrid between a spear and an axe. With an axe blade hanging downwards and the spear poking forwards. That enabled the halberd to be thrusted with as a spear and swung like an axe. Check out this link for an example. http://www.coldsteel.com/images/Products/AltImages/89MSG_2.jpg

7. Mythic

Mythic

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Okay.

Right now I do think it looks like a battle axe. Is the blade texture okay? I think it's a bit out of place. Would it look fine if I replace it with a gray gradient?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  8. Forsaken

Forsaken

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Simple, but useful xD

9. NhazUl

NhazUl

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The blade is actually in proportion, it's as broad as a man's head is long. A halberd with a bigger blade would have been too heavy to brandish. But yes, without a spear tip this is a poleaxe, not a halberd.

10. Splub

Splub

Resources:
    Resources:
    That is quite a nice halberd!

11. NhazUl

NhazUl

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    One thing I'd say is maybe you should use a less blurry texture for the handle.

12. Mythic

Mythic

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Up'd. :D

Sharpened the top thing and added an edge on the other side of the axe.

E: Up'd 2. Changed axe texture into something less racist.

13. MiniMage

MiniMage

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I'd suggest you lengthen the spear and scale the axe down by 15 percent.

14. Mythic

Mythic

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Done. (Hopefully)

15. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    While not super-Warcraft-y, I like how realistic this looks. Good job.

16. Mythic

Mythic

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Updated.

17. MiniMage

MiniMage

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Instead of forcing you to go through a gazillion iterations of the halberd, I tweaked it.
    Something along the lines of this. Hope you don't mind I edited the model to demonstrate what I meant.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin.php?id=g54dsc

That's the general ratio of the axe to spear in a halberd. Now, this isn't perfect. This is just to illustrate the general concept of a halberd. Hope it helps.
    The end point, the little spike on the other end generally exist there to stabilize the axe-blade as well as being a defensive point, which the user could stab people with if he wishes.

I would've sent you this as a PM, but apparently your inbox is full.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  18. Mythic

Mythic

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Thanks. I did not realize your last post (#13 on this thread) was actually about the spear tip, and not the handle (I lengthened the handle with that update).

Updated.

19. VeljkoM

VeljkoM

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Great, warcraft really needs pike/helbard based soldiers. Those were much more used anyway buy regular soldiers than swords. Just is there any model besides fel guard that uses two handed attack animations?