• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Gulf War1.3.1 Desert Storm

This is the BETA version of my Gulf War map.

I have created this game by many reasons.
People told that my WW3 map was so complex and hard to understand, so, I have created this one, thats much simpler. You get credits mining oil, and the mission is to destroy the enemy cities. Very simple.

Although, this map has AI for computer players, my fixed Aircraft system, and a new system made by me, that allow tanks to fire while moving. I hope you will enjoy it.

Basic Game Concept:
- Get resources sending your laborers to mine on Oilfields
- Destroy the enemy cities.
- If an unit runs out of ammo, send it back to a Supply Depot to reload his weapon.

Have Fun!

More units will be added on the next versions.

Keywords:
War, Desert, Iraq, Modern Warfare, Gulf, Desert Storm
Contents

Gulf War1.3.1 Desert Storm (Map)

Reviews
15:01, 21st Nov 2009, by Rui(#53): «I think this map has potential; balance issues aside, it is somewhat fun and certainly original and is enchanted by the good choice of imports. Right now, however, it needs revision. My rating is 2,5 / 5.»

M

15:01, 21st Nov 2009, by Rui(#53):
«I think this map has potential; balance issues aside, it is somewhat fun and certainly original and is enchanted by the good choice of imports. Right now, however, it needs revision. My rating is 2,5 / 5

Level 3
There tons of really great models and custom units. Thought I suggest you don't split the teams in good and bad.You put Armenia with the bad and Turkey. When Armenia is a strict orthodox nation and was genocided by Turkey( Turkey an ally of United States). I suggest taking away the good versus evil bad. Put separate teams showing what nation is who. Than allow certain nations to pick sides with whom they want. I also suggest a loading screen image. People are more reluctant to stay and play if one is not there.

1. I found that oil refineries do not allow workers the store oil.
2. Sometimes for unknown reason a nation citizens become enemies and there units automatically attack them till says you committed genocide.

Last edited:
Level 3
Thanks for the suggestions and for the bug report.

I will remove the good vs bad, and allow players to create their own alliances.

The 0.0.20 version will be released in the next 24 hours.
I know why those bugs are happening, and I will fix them.

Cool, I look forward to that version and will probably vote 5/5 if you do those things. It's a pretty amazing map with the combat, hidden terrorist and genocide features I suggest you add a loading screen for the map and on the hive. So more people will try out your great map.( without one people are less likely to try it and think it's noob map)

I like killing your own citizens takes your money away and if do too many you committed genocide. I also suggest( if you can) do it for enemy player as well.

Level 3
Another feature that I forgot to tell: If you kill an enemy citizen, you will not lose gold, and have a chance to receive gold for killing him. This is like a scavenge, but it still counts as innocent civilian kills, and you can be considered a genocist.

I will try adding a map loading screen, of course.

Oh cool, the genocide feature is really cool. I bet work more in future, if you add missiles, nukes and chemical weapons.

Level 4
just wanna say, great map, i love everything about it, the planes setting on fire when crashing, just awesome and the terrorist stuff etc, but one thing thats fucking ridiculus, the ally system, i played it 5 mins ago and i allied red by typing -ally 01 wich is ridiculus it should just be -ally red like every game with an ally text system, but he coulndt ally me (i was iraq) he tried every single number and then u know what? theres no way of unallying, i tried -unally (number) and -enemy it wont work? wtf dude? y did u have to ruin such an awesome game by making it hard to ally and to make it worse you cant unally, plz fix that its ridiculus

Level 4
ok thanks, but thats the small problem, cuz i cant ally al qauda wich is wierd, please test the map and make sure its possible to ally people, and then unallying, and why isnt it possible to unally? thats wierd, ye and btw the terrorist camp some times doesnt work, so plz make so u can ally and unally thats the 2 main problems, cuz u cant ally every1 and the ones you can you cant unally, thanks

Level 1
Well, really, I should make a player list :p
On next version, I will add a player list on the triggers, like;
01 - America
02 - Israel
03 - Arabia

etc...

May I make the suggestion of color names instead of country names? Since a large part of WC3 players lack any knowledge over geography, I doubt everybody will know which country is which.

Level 10
More bugs were fixed now, and I have added a new Unit: MLRS
And, al-qaeda howitzers can fire dirt bombs now.

EDIT
May I make the suggestion of color names instead of country names? Since a large part of WC3 players lack any knowledge over geography, I doubt everybody will know which country is which.

Thats very simple, just follow player numbers.
Like 01 - Red, 02 - Blue, 03 - Teal, etc..

Level 4
thanks for fixing the ally bug and the mlrs is rly cool but if you now must have -ally 01 for some reason cant you atleast make a trigger to rename the players, cuz else the list you have made is basicly useless, u cant count on pplz geography, so plz either change it to simply -ally (color) or rename the players so u have use for the list you made

ps. i like the way youve made howitzers and MLRS be a bit inacurat and not hit exactly were u ordered to shoot, thats cool and realistic, but you rly should raise prise on the MLRS theyre to good to be so cheap, u can like have 2000 mlrs cuz theyre so cheap and anihilate whole cities

Last edited:
Level 1
I had a full game today and after about 30 minutes (6 players left) everyone's games locked up, as in extremely low performance. I have a really good gaming computer along with the people who were playing in ventrilo with me. It took all of our game to a crawling pace till we all left. Also, I'd like to add I got 3 complaints from people about the ally naming and the left briefly afterwards. It makes it easy to back stab people because they have to pick and guess each person is to unally.

Level 10
I had a full game today and after about 30 minutes (6 players left) everyone's games locked up, as in extremely low performance. I have a really good gaming computer along with the people who were playing in ventrilo with me. It took all of our game to a crawling pace till we all left. Also, I'd like to add I got 3 complaints from people about the ally naming and the left briefly afterwards. It makes it easy to back stab people because they have to pick and guess each person is to unally.

Hmmm... maybe is the MLRS causing the lag? I will remove the MLRS on 0.1.1
If you still notice lag, That means the MLRS is not doing that, and will be re-aded.

MLRS and Howitzer random shoot are the only new weapons I have added on this version. Maybe one of them are doing it.

Level 4
i know ive already said before but please why is it so hard to change -ally 01 to -ally red, its not that hard you just change the text on trigger, its anoying as hell and it makes it easy to backstab and u must know ur geography to have use for the list, and even if you have good geography over middle east the guy unallying would have ltoa time pwning you while ur checking the list, so i beg you please change the ally system

Level 2
very good map, i've told you over MSN all the issues with it. hopefuly you fix all the bugs tomarrow :p. i'll update you on bugs when the new version comes out :p

Level 3
Yes alot of lag....maybe because of the plane triggering and stuff....lol

Also upgrades for workers (oil carrying) doesnt work :(

And arab soldiers vs armerican solders , the damage the same ,range the same , hp the same. Although marines have crit , the price means massed arab soldiers will pwn

Should put more oil mines near US base

Level 11
My turn to review this map. (Didn't try multiplayer so I can't say about lag issues and stuff.)

The Goods

- Music of the map fits perfectly with it.
- AI in single player.
- When vehicules/aircraft dies it goes on fire makes it more realistic.
- Ammo system more realistic.
- Inaccurate artillery fire/ not homing tank shells, again more realistic.
- Capture enemy buildings is fun.
- Genocide feature is fun.

The Bads/Bugs

- Didn't try all heroes but American General Ressurection mana is 200 his max mana was 150 at lvl 10.
- Not to many units in this.

Suggestions

- Americans could use a spy satellite (far sight) ability.
- Not sure if this was added or not a chemical weapons lab and unlock a biological weapon solider (he can infect them with his weapon, but are really expensive).
- Add more units like a sniper, heavy MG gunner, HUMVEEs, suicide bombers, SEALs, and maybe Mercenaries.

That's all I got to say about this map for now.

Level 10
Thanks for the suggestions.

This is still just a BETA. More things are gonna to be added (and most of what you suggested).

For the 0.3.0 update:
- I have added a better AI for single-player. Now the computer players will do cordinated attacks, build structures, repair damaged buildings, and, if you destroy an enemy building, the AI will attemp to reconstruct it.

- Fixed Heroes mana bugs.

- New Units:
Dirt Blender
Supply Convoy

Level 11
Well Turkey is more neutral to US than allies, so honestly they could fight each other some day. I don't remember much about the Gulf War, but was it suppost to be the shortest one in history, like around 100 hours or something like that?

Level 12
Well historical issues aside, this map is great. The AI is fun to play against when you're alone and they can be challenging, the gameplay system is impressive, the unit models are well-used and the game is well balanced and fun.

But, there were some issues. Lag was probably a major problem, though I didn't lag that much. I believe the heroes are a bit too strong, for example the American General (for me) single handedly took out the AI's defences and pretty much won the battle for me to take Baghdad. The tool tips and the icons and such should be better organised and really should be more informative. Also, flame throwers tend to get killed by the flaming tanks until you specifically order them to stay back (Which is annoying). Oh and I believe the oil receive upgrade isn't working.

I can suggest probably more diversity in nations so they're more different. And I don't remember flame throwers being used in the Gulf War...

Other than that, the map is really good and to me, deserves a 4/5.

- Infinite

Last edited:
Level 11
Well historical issues aside, this map is great. The AI is fun to play against when you're alone and they can be challenging, the gameplay system is impressive, the unit models are well-used and the game is well balanced and fun.

But, there were some issues. Lag was probably a major problem, though I didn't lag that much. I believe the heroes are a bit too strong, for example the American General (for me) single handedly took out the AI's defences and pretty much won the battle for me to take Baghdad. The tool tips and the icons and such should be better organised and really should be more informative. Also, flame throwers tend to get killed by the flaming tanks until you specifically order them to stay back (Which is annoying). Oh and I believe the oil receive upgrade isn't working.

I can suggest probably more diversity in nations so they're more different. And I don't remember flame throwers being used in the Gulf War...

Other than that, the map is really good and to me, deserves a 4/5.

- Yuki

It could be a alternated Gulf War i guess, plus Osama Bin Ladden HP was 80 when I started with him and i think 3-4 damage. So anything from a tank to a artillery can kill him.

Level 3
You say Turkey is an ally of the USA??? And committed genocide on Armenia??? You know nothing

You no nothing you ****. I would suggest you ask all Turk citizens living near American military bases( in turkey) and are arrested for criticizing United states or the Armenian genocide.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Angry
Reactions: Rui
Level 12
It could be a alternated Gulf War i guess, plus Osama Bin Ladden HP was 80 when I started with him and i think 3-4 damage. So anything from a tank to a artillery can kill him.

Bin Laden does 8-8 damage and his stats seem to be the weaker of the heroes. But in any case I probably should have said my hero was about level 4-5ish when I took over Baghdad. But even still at level 1 they can take down infantry pretty quickly and they can deal a lot of damage and (especially with the grenade) can take down defences and armored targets on later levels, which I think should be rebalanced a bit.

Maybe instead of direct combat ability, the Heroes should have more stragetic abilities such as auras or support abilities because it doesn't seem right that the leaders of the forces should be actually battling.

Anyway onto other things...

I think by the Tu-17 bomber you mean the Tu-16 since I don't think Tu-17 existed (Might be wrong). And I don't think America used a Soviet-era bomber.

Level 12
When I played 0.3.0, the MLRS weren't exactly the best way to keep a nation suppressed, since they cost a lot of oil (100 per MLRS) and their ability requires 100 mana which couldn't be resupplied by a supply truck, meaning they fire once, and they have to retreat to supply depot.

- Infinite

Last edited:
Level 11
MLRS are the perfect thing to attack a enemy city before sending in troops in since most of the things will be dead and the soliders will finish the job off. The lag isen't the MLRS since Iran used 12 MRLS and massed attacked me lol. But I notice a little lag during tank fights.

Level 5
Bugs:
AI don't use aircraft.
AI don't attack often later in the game.
AI Is not applied to RED
M270 MLRS is a tech requirement for the M1A1
M270 MLRS is a tech requirement for the Supply convoy.
Supply convoys do not recharge the MLRS
Aircraft system is kind of weird, When you force an attack move, it just patrols around the area. It wont move. 45% of the time.

Suggestions: Ignore the ones i said in MSN, that's just crazy talk
Make the M270 MLRS fire 6-8 shots instead of 4, And have each shot only deal 200(6)-100(8)
Keep AstrosII as is
Make the Iran/Iraq/Lebanon/Armenia artillery fire only 1 missile, with a big boom (300-450AoE, 2.5k Damage), then rename it the SCUD launcher.
In the later future, make a balance so that a tank can survive an M270 or Astros II shot.
In the later future, Make a balance so that an APC an survive only a M270 shot.

Edit:
________

I miss the old BM-30 missile projectile.

Last edited:
Level 27
I think it needs few things more:
1.Carpet bombers. Huge damage area, expensive, medium damage.
2.Saboteurs\Special ops.
3.Mass destructions weapons. Not only a nuke, but and chemical weapons and napalm too. They are forbiden, just like genocide, and enemy can easly sabotage or steal it.

Level 4
dude, im not sure what version it is but the 1.0.0 version scuds dont drain mana at shot and neither does planes, actualy i think it is this version since another complained bout it, could u try make a -neutral command feuture so u can be allied without vision, and its kinda anoying thatin begining north side is allied and south side is allied, cant you make all sides being neutral in begining, allied no vision, like desert storm, that would be great. this version didnt lagg at all like your older versions but with the bugged scuds with inifinitive ammo il wait to play this when u fix it on next update

Last edited:
Level 2
Well i have a big problem
its that the bombers they dont do anything when i play they just fly over and get them selfs killed
no bombs nothing i think having a button that makes teh bombs fall like in ur WW3 map
or maybe the map i played was mod..... but anyways it should be press this button 6 bombs fall then u need to refill ur bombers

{EDIT}
oh yeah and great map

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 9
Hey, i just wanna say very good map!The best thing in this map are the models and freatures like if you kill an enemy citizen you may earn some gold and the system of the tank firing while moving is the BEST THING ON THIS MAP:thumbs_up:!

Just one more thing. When i play with AI and in create too much aircrafts its start to lag.:sad:

BUT STILL... VeRy GoOd MaP:infl_thumbs_up: 5/5

Level 10
Gulf War 1.3.0 Desert Storm Updates

- Tank attack is graphicaly improved; when the tank attacks something, you can see the fire coming from the cannon, and now, after they leave the combat, their turrets will back to default rotation.

- Added an attack system to helicopters similliar to the tank one, allowing helicopters to attack even while moving.

- Fixed a weird bug that could make units to die sudently.