• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Grand Theft Auto 4 (X-Box 360)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 34
I didn't see any threads on GTA IV so I thought I'd make one. It's a game I've wanted to discuss since I beat it.

My thoughts/review.

Gilles Review of GTA IV
Gameplay: Amazing. I never played San Andres, but the combat system for this one is revolutionary compared with the ones from Vice and III. It felt quite real (or at least what I think is real, I've never shot anyone), and was easy to use. The cover system was almost flawless, and the auto target system never detracted from the overall feel. I would have liked to see some better AI, and the target system could have been a tad better when switching targets, it often would sometimes lock onto civilians when enemies were around, and it didn't switch between targets well.

Driving was good. Not much else to say about it. Getting hit off a bike at 100mph is always fun!

The missions weren't anything out of the ordinary, but they didn't get repetitive. They mixed it up just enough to keep your interest. Having said that, the biggest problem with the game was the lack of variation once you were on a mission. They were all either, drive after someone, and don't lose them, or kill this person by going down this path. There was no room for imagination when it came to completing missions. More than once I tried to take a short cut when chasing someone, and the game failed me. There was one mission where I was told to kill someone in the top room of a Chinese Restaurant, and instead of shooting my way through the building, I decided to look around outside. I found a ladder and went up to the rooftop. Here I thought, 'hurray, the game might actually reward me for exploring and being creative'. Nope. There were windows, but I couldn't see through them, or shoot through them. The ladder was there for no real reason. I guess it's to taunt people like me.

I guess after playing Hitman: Blood Money, I wanted to be able to get creative with my killing (I'm twisted, I know). Obviously they couldn't make every mission as complex as Hitman, but how hard could it be to add some windows in the Chinese Restaurant so I could swing in guns blazing, or snipe from neighboring roof tops.

Story: I liked it, the voice acting was amazing, and the story was good overall, but the ending left far too much open. What about Kate? Her brothers just accept that she died and forgive you? At least show something. And the families. Does the Irish family get into the big leagues, or do they stay petty? As well, you and Roman split up after you work for the Russians. They should have put him in more of the story.

Visuals: The graphics are great for the 360. The PC version is far more impressive.

Well that was long. Anyone else have thoughts on the game or my comments?

Level 17
PC version is sparking up a lot of hate for some people, reports of glitches and bugs usually graphical

And some people getting extremely low FPS despite their machine being at/above the recommended specs.

I've played both versions, and to be honest; if you've already played the PS3 or 360 version of GTA IV then the PC GTA IV doesn't add enough to become an incentive for you getting that version as well.

If you HAVEN'T yet tried GTA IV on either console, and have a very strong and able computer than pick up the PC version.

Level 34
Since nobody replied, I'll assume my review was so thorough and well laid out, that no one can counter any of my points or add anything. I own.

Level 34
I'd prefer it on console since driving games are lame with arrow keys, and the lock on system negates the mouse being better than joy sticks.

Level 34
No way man, this one is far better. The fighting in this is actually fun for once. It lost the wacky fun aspects, I'll give you that. Although it would have detracted from the story and immersion probably.

Level 6
This one was kind've too realistic for me with the police have ears and eyes everywhere. Had no real open for bigger mob wars and stuff which was like one of my favorite missions from GTA3 which had the city in a huge brawl between the Mafia and Triads. Though now I have to wait and get the exclusive expansions for the 360 to see for an answer to my prayers with newer missions and what not.

Level 2
San Andreas wasn't that much of a transition from Vice, moreso like an expansion pack. But to be honest, I didn't like SA that much either. I liked Carl Johnson, but the majority of the characters involved were basically stereotypical gangsters, and a lot of the things you could do in SA felt like they were in there just for the sake of being there. (What to do once you've landed your plane? Destroyed your modified vehicle? Pooie.)

The serious tone of this game just does it for me, with something that's worthwhile doing. The atmosphere alone just gets you pumped while playing even outside the storyline. The multiplayer is also nothing short of incredible, and hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.