• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[360] Halo 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Well duh, what better way to start the first thread in the console forums then with like, the best xbox game ever?!?!?

Halo 3, the sequal to halo 2 and halo 1.

(The outline of the plot) (From wikipedia)
Halo: Combat Evolved is a first person shooter that takes place on a mysterious planet-like construct referred to as 'Halo'. Two days before the story begins, the Covenant, a collection of alien species committed to the destruction of the human race, launch an assault on the home of Human military production, Reach, destroying it. A single starship, the Pillar of Autumn, survives the alien onslaught, carrying one of the last known SPARTANs- the "Master Chief". The ship initiates a random jump to Slipspace, hoping to lead the enemy away from Earth. Following coordinates chosen by the on board Al construct named 'Cortana', they jump to an alien built ring which orbits a planet. This ring is called Halo. Halo was built by a mysterious group of people in the distant past called "The Forerunners". Although the Protagonist (the Master Chief) does not know it, seven rings were constructed to completely eradicate all life in the galaxy. The rings were built as weapons of last resort to stop a parasitic race called "The Flood". Most of the history between the Forerunners and the Flood is unknown, but it appears that the Forerunners were overwhelmed by the Flood, who then proceeded to destroy their own civilization in an attempt to starve the flood, leaving the universe empty and safe for new organisms to evolve. The Covenant discovered the rings and believe that they will lead their civilization on a "Great Journey". The "Sacred Rings" are the most treasured artifacts of the Covenant and thei from activating Halo and prevent the Flood spreading across the universe, while faced with a massive four way war fought over immense and beautiful landscapes.

Halo 3 continues after halo 2. Where earth has been apparently taken over by the covenant.

Halo 3 is coming out for the Xbox 360 only. And will include new weapons, multiplayer maps as well as old ones, another immense story line, great multiplayer and new features including a "Man cannon" that allows you to launch yourself at the enemy!

Halo 3 : Great game. Worth picking up an xbox for alone.

Level 19
I'll tell you something bub, being a veteran of both of these (schooling everyone on X-Box live) I've learned something, Halo 1 is better than Halo 2, how do we know that Halo 3 is not going to worse then both of them? Also the best X-box 360 game ever is Gears of War, and the best X-Box game is Rayman: Raving Rabbids.

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Meh.

Halo is fun when you play for an evening with a group of friends, a couple soda bottles and a couple of pizzas, and just jacking around beating the shit out of each other.

After that, it's pretty boring to me. I prefer TimeSplitters: FP.

Level 12
Alright I cant wait for this game. I was not allowed to play 1 and 2 because I was too young and they are rated M, but now I am allowed to so I am gonna get this. I have heard you can customize the way your person melees, although the source is not 100% reliable. I just want to play it and see if the Halo series is all it is cracked up to be.

GOW pwns. IMA CHARGIN MY CHAINSAW BAYONET!!!!!!! lol

Level 13
Halo 3 seems to be the king of the halo's Halo 1 is indeed better than halo 2 graphics and gameplay wise. BUT in halo 3 bungie learned from there mistakes and have ushered in a new system, brought back old guns from halo 1 kept the features tat made halo 2 good and added some new stuff to spice up gameplay ! Plus the campaing looks to be impressive (battles on earth !).

you can customize your spartan or elite for multiplayer however this is only colour-wise no model editing will make it into the customization process.

For me what makes halo fun is simple-player co-op with one or 2 other guys on legendary with either game. That is just... so fun.

EDIT: gets gay when you overplay it tho.

Level 36
Roflcopter, I played Halo 1 for about 2 years and then that was it for me, I got bored. I know people that have played it since launch and are still playing it on PC, so meh, it depends what you like.

PS to the guy who said that Halo 1 had better graphics then Halo 2.... what have you been smoking?! If there was one thing that Halo 2 definetly improved on over 1, then it was the graphics.

Level 5
I dunno. . . Halo 1 I never got graphic problems, in Halo 2 I got loads of skin and graphic errors. . .

Halo 3 looks disapointing. . . graphically it sux when ya look at what the 360 can do. . . I've never really been a fan of the XBOX, but by FAR the best games are:

StarWars: Knights of the old Republic 1+2

-OR-

Kingdom Under Fire + Kingdom Under Fire: Heroes. . . KUF is nice and hard ^^

Level 12
I just looked a few screens of halo 3. The landscape: sweet. Totally sweet. I can not complain. The spartans look out of place though. Too.... low res? The terrain looks os detailed and nice and the spartans look rushed. Maybe they will fix it. Maybe it is because they look to clean. Out in the middle of a battlefield, you are not gonna be all nice and clean. Lets see some smudges and scorches on them!

You have experience ChaosOverlord's thoughts. Feel proud.

Level 36
We'll see what they do. Also, KotOR 1 + 2 are my favourite RPG'S. Best i've ever played... especially since i'm an uber star wars fan...

REGARDLESS: In terms of graphical looks (which I was referring to) Halo 2 trumps Halo 1 by a long shot. And trust me, the original had it's fair share of problems, as I have modded it extensively over the course of 2 years, so I would know...

Halo 3 may not look that impressive graphics wise... but I don't give a shit at all. I don't play a game just because it has the best graphics in the field. Civ4 is better then Supreme Commander, and look at the graphics difference.

Level 36
No.... not at all.... do you see any famous console gamers out there? Does Fatal1ty play on an Xbox? Is he #1 on Xbox Live? Fuck no!

It's a proven fact. the Official Xbox Magazine did a study. They had 4 highly intoxicated PC Gamers play Halo using a mouse and keyboard against 4 sober Xbox Gamers playing Halo PC using the Xbox 360 controller. The PC gamers still win.

It's true though. FPS games are far better played with a mouse and keyboard, the controls flow better, and the response time is unparalled. A twitch of a key and you're moving, the slightest shiver of a mouse and you're aiming. With a controller you have these large, insensitive analog sticks, and they just don't compare.

I feel that Halo 3 is worth the wait. It will rape face on the 360, and then it will rape more face on the PC. You know why? I'll tell ya: DirectX10 baby. Why do you think Halo 2 was so lackluster?
The graphics.

The rumor, until several months ago, was that Halo 2 was coming out on Vista because it would make use of the new DirectX 10 graphics. Unofrtunately, MS pulled the plug on that, and it didn't happen, but I will bet money that Halo 3 for PC will use them, and that will instantly make the graphics worlds better then those capable on the 360. Face it, MS screwed up and didn't include DirectX 10 on the 360, making it's latest console obsolete graphics wise. It's still tue best of the bunch for consoles, but it's already outdated.

DX10= uber crazy wtfpwn graphics. And this means a success for Halo 3 PC. We all know that Bungie has got the gameplay and story down, it's the graphics, and the shitty attempts to integrate the Live bullshit into PC gaming, that MS struck out on with Halo 2 PC, and hopefully they will learn and fix.

3000 posts btw. Teh FTW :D

Level 10
No.... not at all.... do you see any famous console gamers out there? Does Fatal1ty play on an Xbox? Is he #1 on Xbox Live? Fuck no!

Who the hell is Fatal1ty. And i dont really care about people who have nothing better to do with their lives then play games all day... That guy must be proud eh?

And i stand by my words, Halo was made ORIGINALLY for the xbox. And i HIGHLY doubt what your saying about 4 DRUNK PLAYERS BEATING 4 SOBER PLAYERS, its obviously fake. How would they connect an xbox to a PC anyway?

And i HIGHLY doubt that 4 DRUNK PEOPLE CAN BEAT SOBER PLAYERS.

Besides, its more fun with a controller, even if its harder. I dono about you, but im much better with a controller. Thats why they made controllers FOR the PC. Because people wanna play games with controllers.

Duh..

Who cares about SLIGHTLY better graphics, 360 gameplay will like wipe the floor with the PC.

Level 36
1) Fatal1ty is the most famous gamer to ever walk the face of the Earth. Why care about him? He makes a shitload of money winning every tournament he enters.

2) Halo was NOT made for the Xbox. Halo was originally intended to be for PC only. Then, when the development of Halo was nearly complete, Microsoft sqooped in and bought out Bungie. They delayed the release of Halo PC in order to make it a launch title and killer-app for the Xbox.

3) This comes from the Official Xbox Magazine. Fake? I don't think so.

4) It's called a USB controller, DUH. The 360 controller can be used interchangeably between the PC and Xbox 360 because it uses a USB port as a plugin.

5) You highly doubt a lot of things, doesn't make you right.

6) This is a matter of opinion. Controllers are made for the PC for those console addicts that want in on the PC gaming market but just can't cope with a mouse and keyboard. Notice how the mouse and keyboard are the dominant setup, and how most games design their controls around a mouse and keyboard setup, rather then designing them around some shitty third party controller that 5 people have?

7) Slightly beter graphics?! Have you been living under a cave? The Xbox 360's graphics will look like Gamecube's compared to the might of DirectX 10. It is UNPARALLELED. The graphics will be worlds beyond those that the 360 could offer.

8) I have no doubt in my mind that the PC gameplay will parallel or outdo that of the 360.

Level 10
1) Fatal1ty is the most famous gamer to ever walk the face of the Earth. Why care about him? He makes a shitload of money winning every tournament he enters.

Still dont care. You fail to convince me.

5) You highly doubt a lot of things, doesn't make you right.

Sure it does!

3) This comes from the Official Xbox Magazine. Fake? I don't think so.

Fake? i still think so. Its the media, lie to make stories interesting. DUH. And show me that article then.

8) I have no doubt in my mind that the PC gameplay will parallel or outdo that of the 360.

Now there you go telling me i doubt alot of things. HIPPOCRYT MUCH?

Level 36
No... it's not best quality, that's how consoles get by. Games companies dumb down their games so that they can fit with the specs of the console. The console is outdated, and that's why it's cheap, and the games companies have to downgrade the graphics, etc, in order to make them work smoothly on outdated specs. It runs smoothly, yes, but it doesn't run the best, and it certainly could be higher quality. Halo 3 360's graphics will be pacman in comparison to DirectX 10....

No... it's not best quality, that's how consoles get by. Games companies dumb down their games so that they can fit with the specs of the console. The console is outdated, and that's why it's cheap, and the games companies have to downgrade the graphics, etc, in order to make them work smoothly on outdated specs. It runs smoothly, yes, but it doesn't run the best, and it certainly could be higher quality. Halo 3 360's graphics will be pacman in comparison to DirectX 10....

Could you show me an example of a game using DirectX10 graphics? Seriously, I want to see if its THAT great.

Level 36
Well, just look at Crysis for example. Every single leaf, blade of grass, root, tree branch in the game is fully destructible, usning fluid animations that adapt to the way the environment is being destroyed. Just google it and read some of the articles about the game, it's mind blowing.

Here's proof alone: If Dx10 was only a small improvement from DX9, then it would not require an entirely new generation of videocards, like dx9, 8, and 7, it would just require a software update. It doesn't, this is the real deal.

Level 10

And yet there are so many more xbox 360 users?

Exactly... Thats what i thought.

Well, just look at Crysis for example. Every single leaf, blade of grass, root, tree branch in the game is fully destructible, usning fluid animations that adapt to the way the environment is being destroyed.

Oh my god... Ok you're right, if this is only one of the things it can do, 360 will be NES compared to it...

But I still think DX10 is gonna require a nuclear powered computer.

Level 36
And yet there are so many more xbox 360 users?

Exactly... Thats what i thought.

Moron, the only reason so many people play 360 is because its way cheaper then buying a kickass PC, and/or people are too retarded to learn how to build a kickass one themselves. 360 merely wins because of price, not because of horsepower. PC still owns that thing.

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

I can't afford a good enough computer for most things, hell, I'm lucky I can at least run Max on this thing. I'd much rather buy an Xbox to be able to play a next gen game than a new computer, way cheaper.

...and I prefer gaming on a console anyway.

Level 36
Ummmmmm...... no. You can buy a DirectX 10 graphics card for what, 200 CDN. It will only give you bottom-of-the-best performance, but it still shoots DirectX 10, which is better then everything else before it. Geforce 8600. Check what it goes for. It CERTAINLY does not require 3000 dollars! Hell my computer is only worth 1200, and it will play DirectX 10 and then some. It's not that big of a deal for price, and the performance advantage is very substantial.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
There is an error in the tital of this thread. It says "[360/PC]" which is wrong since he said
Halo 3 is coming out for the Xbox 360 only. And will include new weapons, multiplayer maps as well as old ones, another immense story line, great multiplayer and new features including a "Man cannon" that allows you to launch yourself at the enemy!

Which eithor one needs updating but I still believe it is 360 only for now (a pc release will happen lightly in the future).

DX10 IS NOT godly compaired to DX9, infact the only enhancement is with the way the software uses it enabling for more efficent usage instead of lag being made because some sectors are overloaded while others are barly used. Why is DX10 so powerfull then? Well if any of you had a brain (sorry to be rude) you would know that the current DX 10 nvedia GF8 8800 GTX cards can max virtually any game using DX 9 and their lower models can to. And the fact remains if you have DX10 then you ARE better than an Xbox 360 graphic wise since 8800s are over 8 times stronger than the last cards. If you buy the cheap scate 8000s (non 8800+) then you can bet that even with DX10 running your graphics will look at most like a 360 or even worse. Also DO NOT think animations are graphicly demanding, inface they are more CPU demanding the way you described them since that is phisics and not graphics. So if you have a P4 and a DX10 nvedia 8800 GTX then you can expect nothing but low.

Idealy you want 4GB of ram (to counter Vistas ram hog stupidity), a quad core extreme and 1 or 2 nvedia 8800 GTXs (if 2, then using sli mode) for a system that can run all games at near max and past 360 quality.

But such a system would cost 1000£ for the actual components and 750£ for the mother board + DVD + HD + power supply.
1750£ is pretty steep (3500$ odd), maybe you could get it for 1250£ if you get discounts.

But then again that computer can run any PC game that works on vista at past design quality and at 1900*2100 resolution.

Remember that DX10 needs VISTA and a DX complient card, otherwise DX9 will be running.

Level 36
Not everyone feels like paying 200$ for a graphics card when they can spend barely 300$ for a whole new system.

Ummm... have you looked at the specs on that 300 dollar system. I bet it's a fucking Dell. A 300 dollar system couldn't play anything at all. It's good for absolutely nothing, unless it's a console, so there is no point in buying it if you intend to play games on it. 300 dollar PC's even suck for basic tasks. Since a decent (2.4 ghz) Core 2 Duo is $300 dollars alone, I don't think your shitty PC will be pushing double-digit frame numbers, if it can even play the games at all (unlikely since I highly doubt that it comes with anything more than integrated graphics).

Ummm... have you looked at the specs on that 300 dollar system. I bet it's a fucking Dell. A 300 dollar system couldn't play anything at all. It's good for absolutely nothing, unless it's a console, so there is no point in buying it if you intend to play games on it. 300 dollar PC's even suck for basic tasks. Since a decent (2.4 ghz) Core 2 Duo is $300 dollars alone, I don't think your shitty PC will be pushing double-digit frame numbers, if it can even play the games at all (unlikely since I highly doubt that it comes with anything more than integrated graphics).

Oh please, I was referring to consoles, not a new computer system. 300$ PC's are called antiques.

And Super good... 1900x2100 resolution?! Oh my god...

Level 10
Nah, the PS3 has jack all for graphics. The Graphics card in the 360 is basically a miniature version of ATi's new DirectX10 card, except it runs DirectX 9 of course, and it isn't as good.

Can you drop the computer thing?

More people want to buy a 360 instead of a 3000$ computer. Were done with that subject.

Lets get back to the real subject. Halo 3.

I heard you can be a brute on Live. No abilities like beserk though...

Level 36
Why would I do that? You told me that you thought the PS3 had the stronger graphics. I used facts to prove that you were absolutely wrong. You now try and stop me from providing facts just because you were wrong? Can't hold up in an arguement much?

ANYWAY. You do not need a $3000 dollar PC to run Halo 3. If you think that, you're a total fucking idiot. You could run Halo 3 on a computer for less than a thousand dollars if you really wanted to. And then you could use that PC for a glorious amount of other tasks.

But, yes, Halo 3 is the topic at hand, not your rediculously outlandish statements.

A brute on live you say, eh? Well, I could naturally see it as happening, since they were one of the other major unit additions. Grunts are too weak and stupid to be player controlled, really all of the covenant except the elites wont work for player-control, except perhaps Hunters, but they would be overpowered in a fight (unless Bungie toned them down) and they can only use one weapon.

A brute though... basically a thicker version of the elite, but it has properties unlike the Spartan or the Elite, so that would make it an ideal third choice.

Whatever Bungie does, it will probably turn out nicely, but we can only hope.

Viva la Halo 3! Viva la revolution!

Level 10
You now try and stop me from providing facts just because you were wrong? Can't hold up in an arguement much?

Im not stopping you, and how can i be wrong? its an opinion. Cant be wrong.

Also, i didnt really say a 360 has better graphics then a 3000$ computer, but no one is really gonna bother with 3000$. Its not worth it.

So anyway, now that i have cleared that up.

If you play on live, you'll notice not alot of people use Elites, mostly spartans. Because obviously, you have a bigger head and an easier target for head shots.

In halo 3 they raped some weapons and made them weaker. Battle rifle sucks now (I hear) and there is now a pause time for the sniper rifle between shots. (Much longer one).

I think people wont use Brutes much, being bigger than the spartan and elite, they are easier targets.

Level 36
Brutes.... armour. The fact that they'll be able to take more hits (maybe not since they don't have any shields that I know of) might make them more desirable.

The battle rifle sucked before, so I don't even care. The fact is, they brought back a bigger and more badass then ever version of the Assault Rifle, so BR is now useless. Hooray!

It kinda sucks that they're nerfing the sniper rifle though....

Level 10
The battle rifle sucked before, so I don't even care. The fact is, they brought back a bigger and more badass then ever version of the Assault Rifle, so BR is now useless. Hooray

BR was one of the best weapons if you knew how to use it. 2 bursts to the head is all it took.

But im glad BR is weaker, because you would see all these people doing those stupid moves.

(BXR, BXB What ever the hell they are called...and the dreaded "Double shot" which made Live alot more annoying.)

I tried the Beta at my friends, those moves dont work anymore.

I dont think the brutes will be any different then the elite and spartan, just a different model to use. Like the elites were in halo 2.

Also, there is a rumor that you can modify your spartans helmet... My friend showed me these pic's at some website (Ill try to find the link) of a person with the actual halo 3 manuel taking photos of it.

Of course, he is a horrible photographer so they didnt turn out well. But i saw some of the helmet designs.

I think its already made spartan heads though, you can pick one but not actually make your own.

You can also change your spartans number. (Instead of the usual 117 on the arm you can put your own number.)

Level 36
But everyone loves Spartan 117. The Chief > All.

Anyway, custom helmets would be a kinda neat idea I think.

And for the Brute and Elite: if they actually made more changes then the model (like attributes that made you seriously think which one you wanted to pick, instead of just which one looks better sorta deal) then it would be a lot cooler.

Level 10
And for the Brute and Elite: if they actually made more changes then the model (like attributes that made you seriously think which one you wanted to pick, instead of just which one looks better sorta deal) then it would be a lot cooler.

Nah, because people would find a way to abuse one of their traits and use cheap things. Then there would be update after update after update to balance the issues and complaints from people, the release date would have to be prolonged due to testing each person over and over in different situations and in all possible events.

It would be too much trouble, more than its worth.

But everyone loves Spartan 117. The Chief > All

Ya but, thats why people want to BE him, but if everyone was him that would suck, no uniqueness...(Is that a word?)

Anyway... Spartan laser also looks cool, it homes in.

Theres also new vehicles, only ones i know so far is the ATV thing and a new vehicle, its called the Brute chopper... Looks like a motorcycle though. Ill try to find a pic.

l
l
l
V

DOes this mean we might be able to finnaly use the jackal shield?!?!

Attachments

• halo-wish-list-19.jpg
    halo-wish-list-19.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 144
Level 36
That pic is photoshopped, it's not real.

You know why? That image was a promo for Halo 2 that's been on the internet forever. Someone else just added in the shield. It's a fake.

The ATV is called the Mongoose and it's supposed to be really awesome.

I'm really excited for the Mancannon as well :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.