• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Grand Rift Fortress

Reactions: deepstrasz
"This mountain of dark rock houses one of the last fortresses of the old Burning Legion. Although its creators have long abandoned these black walls, the strongest of their servants maintain a tight defense. Only the mightiest warriors dare approach."

Since the supply of 24 player melee maps is fairly limited, and several of them are tweaked or copy-pasted versions of 12-player maps, I figured I'd add one of my own. This map features:
  • 48 Gold Mines (half starting bases, half expansions)
  • 8 Taverns
  • 8 Goblin Merchants
  • 8 Goblin Laboratories
  • 8 Mercenary Camps
  • 8 Way Gates
  • 2 Marketplaces
  • 4 Fountains (2 Health, 2 Mana)
  • 2 Dragon Roosts (1 Red, 1 Black)
The terrain is a combination of Black Citadel and Outland, with some minor imports changing the terrain to allow for both water and the Abyss tile to look natural.

The players are grouped like an 8-player map, allowing for teams of 3 (or multiples of 3) grouped together. The design also supports Free-For-All gameplay, although it isn't perfectly balanced for it.

Strategic Insights

Each base has easy access to a neighboring green creep camp, and each group of 3 bases has another two neighboring green camps. In a team game, teams will need to decide who gets those camps. In a free-for-all, it's a race to see who can make it to them first!

Similarly, each group has 2 expansion mines that are easily accessible. In order for the third player to get one, they will have to tackle the much more dangerous, but much richer, mines in the center.

The Way Gates in this map operate in a ring, with each Way Gate being paired with another. One in a pair will go clockwise around the ring, and the other will go counterclockwise. Each pair is at a roughly equal distance from its group of bases, offering a way to quickly strike at other players (or retreat) regardless of their position on the map. However, each pair is also guarded by an orange creep camp, which will need to be cleared before the ring of gates can be safely used. Striking these camps early can also allow a strong army to creep multiple times in rapid succession, potentially raising the levels of several Heroes ahead of opponents.

Every possible base on the map has its advantages and disadvantages:
  • Starting bases are narrow, and can easily be walled off several times, but one side of each starting base is a simple forest of mushrooms. An opponent could destroy the forest with siege weapons to bypass defenses.
  • Early expansion bases have more gold than the starting bases, but less lumber. The front entrance is easily defended by towers, but the back has a second entrance. It isn't accessible by land, but an opponent could drop an army in via Goblin Zeppelin and raid the base.
  • Central expansion bases are guarded by red creep camps, and can be entered by multiple pathways. The outer bases are surrounded by mushrooms that could be cut down and have a back entrance into the corner of the fortress, and the inner bases have wide entrances and high ground behind them. However, these bases have over 25,000 gold available, and, if held, can carry their controlling player through the entire game.
Lastly, don't forget that this is a fortress! The Burning Legion has left the few and the mighty to defend it. Creep camps have a relatively small number of creeps, but those creeps are powerful. Creeps of levels 8 and above are common sights, and the fortress's namesake rift is surrounded by the most powerful demons. In some cases, the opposing players may prove easier prey.

• Added this Change Log.
  • Added several extra green and orange creep camps. These camps don't guard buildings, but they drop useful items.
  • Reworked the Way Gate areas to hold a pair of gates instead of just one. Now the ring of gates can be traveled both clockwise and counterclockwise.
  • Set the acquisition range for the Way Gate creep camps to camp, and shifted them further out from the gates.
  • Deleted the item drops from all destructibles. The destructibles still exist, but they don't drop anything now.
  • Reworked all of the creep item drops. No more unusual items or runes will be dropped, just the standard melee items.
  • The fountain ramps now point in towards the center instead of up.
  • The summit camp no longer has towers or a vault. Instead, all of the items (powerful, but standard) are dropped by the creeps.
  • Added some environmental doodads in key places to steer player units around creep camps.
  • Added waterfall doodads to the four places where the water slopes.

• Reworked the center of the fortress.
  • The two Dragon Roosts are now further apart, at opposite corners.
  • The two Marketplaces are now further apart, at opposite corners.
  • There are now 4 fountains (2 of each) instead of 2.
  • The summit has been removed and replaced with an actual rift, for a more symmetric design.
  • Deleted and recreated the creep camps in the center. No more Flesh Golem.

• Fixed the Way Gate destinations, and renamed the regions in the World Editor for clarity.

Previews
Contents

Grand Rift Fortress (Map)

Reviews
mafe
Hello, nice to see new mappers. As this is your first map, here is some feedback. -First of all, if you take a look at my comments in this (24) Legion Mana Temple 1.0a thread, then you will see that much of this (but not everything) also applies to...
deepstrasz
The map is OK. 24 player ones in general are a pain to make, look at both on the minimap and ingame and play. Two Dragon Roosts and so near each other. Gr... plus the fountains. Anyways, I'm not approving this with a non-melee unit on it: Flesh...
deepstrasz
Changes made, Approved.

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
Hello, nice to see new mappers. As this is your first map, here is some feedback.
-First of all, if you take a look at my comments in this (24) Legion Mana Temple 1.0a thread, then you will see that much of this (but not everything) also applies to your map.
-In particular is better to not use those strange items or have doodads drop items. I know it is tempting to try something creative, but this is a serious aspect of balance and there are usually reasons why we see a limited set of items only in melee maps.
-Regarding FFA, the player in the middle of the 3-player groups is in a very bad position if both his neighbor spawn positions are occupied. Unfortunately I dont see an easy fix for this, but for team games your map is fine.
-I see a potential problem with the circular waygate layout as this means it takes a some time to get back to your original position if you accidentially walk past the gate. Especially if units sometimes get ported through the gates unintentionally, which they happens to me, but maybe I just do not fully understand the mechanics.
-Also I expect that the creep near the waygates will attack units that port through the gate. Maybe creeps will also port then, this could be very weird if they try to get back to their original position. I think these creeps should be at least set to camp stance, as is usual for creeps anyway (except at gold mines).
-The central gold mines which can be reached from two opposite directions are somewhat awkward to attack or hold.
-Some creeps are positioned in way that they will attack units (scouts) that walk past them.
-Minor asymmetries with the ramps towards the dragon roosts and fountains in center.
-What did you intend with the dead ends behind some goldmines? DId you plan to have brdiges towards the shops/labs there?

Positives: Nevertheless, the map is very good, even if it wasnt your first map. The layout is good and creative, in particular I like the center of your map.

Level 7
All right, here's my first round of revisions, taking into account what you've told me:

-In particular is better to not use those strange items or have doodads drop items. I know it is tempting to try something creative, but this is a serious aspect of balance and there are usually reasons why we see a limited set of items only in melee maps.
This bit of feedback was... kind of hard to hear, after the time I spent thinking about safe and balanced ways to implement less-used items. Even so, I've removed the item drops from all doodads and made the item drop tables only use the standard items.
-Regarding FFA, the player in the middle of the 3-player groups is in a very bad position if both his neighbor spawn positions are occupied. Unfortunately I dont see an easy fix for this, but for team games your map is fine.
You're right about there being no easy fix, aside from changing the description to note that FFA isn't perfectly balanced. I did my best to make the side players have just as easy access to each other, and I put some of the early green camps closer to the central player, but it will never be perfect. That said, when I played a test FFA game on the map, I spawned in the central position and didn't have that much trouble dispatching both of the side players on my own. Sadly, I was then destroyed by someone from a different area, so I didn't get to play it all the way out.
-I see a potential problem with the circular waygate layout as this means it takes a some time to get back to your original position if you accidentially walk past the gate. Especially if units sometimes get ported through the gates unintentionally, which they happens to me, but maybe I just do not fully understand the mechanics.
-Also I expect that the creep near the waygates will attack units that port through the gate. Maybe creeps will also port then, this could be very weird if they try to get back to their original position. I think these creeps should be at least set to camp stance, as is usual for creeps anyway (except at gold mines).
These were some great points, thanks for bringing them up! I've reworked the waygate areas to have a clockwise gate and a counterclockwise gate to deal with the return-time problem. I also shifted the local creep camps further away and gave them camp stance, as suggested. I had originally thought that making them more aggressive would slow down early rotation through the ring of gates, but maybe that wasn't such a good idea in the first place.
-The central gold mines which can be reached from two opposite directions are somewhat awkward to attack or hold.
That's... kind of the point. The central mines are richer than what you'll usually see in a melee map, so I made them hard to capture and hard to defend, so that, if the game stretches on, they become points of conflict that require alternative thinking. Usually you can't manage to defend them so well with your heroes unless you have a zeppelin, so you have to rely more on your army and a few well-placed towers.
If you really think that they're a disaster I can rework them in a later round of revisions, but that will take a lot more time.
-Some creeps are positioned in way that they will attack units (scouts) that walk past them.
Another good catch, thanks! I've shifted the positions of certain creeps to put them further out of the way, and I also added some key doodads that change the pathing in such a way that units will more naturally flow around those creeps instead of straight into them. Obviously that doesn't work on flying units, but you have to be careful when scouting with those on any Blizzard melee map too.
-Minor asymmetries with the ramps towards the dragon roosts and fountains in center.
I didn't think that symmetry would matter so much in the middle, since everyone has to travel about the same distance to get there. Even so, I made it more symmetrical.
-What did you intend with the dead ends behind some goldmines? Did you plan to have bridges towards the shops/labs there?
No, those are places where a wily player can drop in forces with a zeppelin to ambush the base! Also, now that the object limits are properly raised, I've added more creeps to those locations.

Thanks for all the great feedback so far! I'll be looking forward to hearing more.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
The map is OK. 24 player ones in general are a pain to make, look at both on the minimap and ingame and play.

Two Dragon Roosts and so near each other. Gr... plus the fountains.

Anyways, I'm not approving this with a non-melee unit on it: Flesh Golem.

Awaiting Update.

Level 7
Second round of revisions are here.

Two Dragon Roosts and so near each other. Gr... plus the fountains.

Anyways, I'm not approving this with a non-melee unit on it: Flesh Golem.

Awaiting Update.

This isn't the kind of detail that I got from mafe's feedback, but I did my best to work with it.

I've spaced out the Dragon Roosts (and the Marketplaces) further from each other in the center. It made sense, seeing as having the Roosts too close might have made it too easy for a player to grab both dragons. It's still a valid option on 24 player maps in my book, so it wouldn't make much sense to delete one.

As for the fountains, they are also a bit further apart from each other, but not so much. I've seen Blizzard maps put a pair of fountains closer together than this, and this is a map for more players. Also, while the fountains are placed somewhat close to the Roosts and Marketplaces, the pathing and creep groups are set up to make it hard for players to hit both sites in rapid succession. It could be done with an air-based army and a zeppelin for the Heroes, I suppose, but there are a lot of anti-air creeps in that neighborhood. It would be a risky move.

The Flesh Golem is gone. It kind of flattens some of the feel of "Ascending to the summit" in my opinion, but I suppose it was a campaign unit, not properly balanced for melee games. Makes me wish I could create and balance over-level-10 creeps myself, but then it wouldn't be a melee map anymore.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll be looking forward to hearing more.