• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Rift

User who uploaded this Presents

Rift
Created by normalice

Map Info:

A fairly straightforward melee map. The only oddity is the waygate travel.

Features:

Should work for any 2v2,4v4, or up to 8-player FFA. Four shops, four taverns, two waygates. It is a little bit light on creeps, but it is a smallish map so that shouldn't matter - I know the size is big, but keep in mind most of the map is empty. It should take about the same amount of time to run from any base to any other base, regardless of the base being ran to.

Screenshots:
none yet

Author's notes:
The layout of the map assures position balance, however people viewing for the 'scenicness' of it all, may find it a little bland. I tried to make it a little pretty with absurd amounts of texture variation (seriously, this took me two weeks to do the tiles alone..) Also, this map punishes humans a tiny bit with deceptively difficult fast expansion creeps, at least for a militia, which is fine because humans are overpowered anyway :p

Additionally, I have another map similar in theme to this one coming out for 12-players.

Updates:
added two observatories, removed two taverns.
removed some trees and replaced with walls/spires
-
added 6 more taverns - moved them all closer to the bases
added 2 more observatories
added 8 more green creep camps
reduced the difficulty of expansion mine creeps
further reduced buildable area around the waygates
-
fixed alliances so teams spawn together (for 4v4, teams can spawn "all at top" or "all at bottom" as well..)

Other work:
Pack

Map Description Template Created by -Kobas-
Find more here: Map Description - Templates
Contents

Rift (Map)

Reviews
Orcnet21:45, 17th Aug 2013 Map Approved Rift (No Version/s Stated) RateScorePercentLetter 5/591-100A RateScorePercentLetter 4/581-90%B RateScorePercentLetter 3/575-80%C RateScorePercentLetter 2/570-74%D RateScorePercentLetter...

M

1b5e5a7776e87f86f9c6951fa3dad711_64508.gif
Orcnet21:45, 17th Aug 2013

Comment

Review

Map Approved
Rift (No Version/s Stated)

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
5/591-100A

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
4/581-90%B

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
3/575-80%C

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
2/570-74%D

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
1/550-69%F

Overview:

Gameplay

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

"The 2 Taverns per region doesn't look good in such matter, it would be great if there is only 1 per region also the main player bases that are near an expansion site has some problem, without cliffs or any doodads blocking the paths, auto lumber harvesting directly faced on the expansion can lead open ground for the opposing player forces to go across or worker units can get harassed by creep camps guarding the expansion, just give it some blocker and its no problem anymore."

Terrain

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

"Terrain is cool but to what I have replied in game play mechanics, the block idea would be great."

Management

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

"Overall map can be useful."

Total Score:

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
9/1580%C

Level 10
I'll wait for screenies. Looks nice though. I like the separated terrain / waygate idea. I've seen a few of them in the last week but its still cool. I had never seen any before.

Why wait, when there is a download button :p

EDIT: My only gripe about this map, is the two taverns that are really close to each other. I know this is for balancing purposes, but I would suggest to find another area to put them, since it is almost no reason having two

Last edited:
Level 13
Comment

Very cool map, add some screenshots (very important)

Terrain

Terrain is very good, Outland titles are very rare, very good map.

Gameplay

A original melee map.

Final Rating:

Terrain:5/5
Gameplay:5/5
Comment:4/5

FINAL RATING:
5/5

Suggestions
-No suggestions

GIFT

+1 rep :D

Level 3
Ok tested, her eis my review.

1st replay :
RIFT REPLAY

I was surprised to like it so much. Here my recommandations :
1- its hard to expand. The mid expo where i expanded first here on replay should be easier I think. Something like a camp with more creeps but lower level.

2- I think you could add a green camp next to mains

3- THIS IS IMPORTANT : put 8 tav (one in each base, kinda like on lastmanstanding or dalaran - be sur enothign can get blocked). replace mid tav with another lab.

4- make surroundings of portal unbuildable : an asshole could mass tower there.

Overall fun map :) gj

Level 13
Ok tested, her eis my review.

1st replay :
RIFT REPLAY

I was surprised to like it so much. Here my recommandations :
1- its hard to expand. The mid expo where i expanded first here on replay should be easier I think. Something like a camp with more creeps but lower level.

2- I think you could add a green camp next to mains

3- THIS IS IMPORTANT : put 8 tav (one in each base, kinda like on lastmanstanding or dalaran - be sur enothign can get blocked). replace mid tav with another lab.

4- make surroundings of portal unbuildable : an asshole could mass tower there.

Overall fun map :) gj
I took your advice almost exactly. Enjoy :-D