• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece!🔗 Click here to enter!

Good spells to base them on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
If you are making custom spells through triggering, what spells is good to base them on? Atm i am using storm bolt as target spells (but the negative with that is that a ministun is neccesarry :S) And thunder clap for instant spell (this works good though).
But what spell is good to use for targeting spells? I dont want that minstun on every ability..

It depends. No, storm bolt has the mini stun of 0.1 second minimum. This is not good. Try channel, cripple.. Instant spells use Roar, Battle Roar, Howl of Terror with Targets set to "All" only. Channel is for custom spells, for sure. The flexibility of this spell is to be reckoned. You can change the Order Ability ID to something else, in order to have multiple channel-based spells on a single unit, cause, i guess you know already that two abilities sharing the same ID will be cast at the same time. Channel can be used for Instant spells as well, for targeting unit and targeting point; it's up to you. You can go to "Target type" field of the spell channel and change it. Don't forget to modify the "Options" field, by checking the "Visible" and by changing the "Disable Other abilities" into "False".

Level 5
Instant AOE will be fan of knives. It's a pure damage skill. And it triggers instantly. Targeted spells, you can use frost armor, without the autocast. Set the targets to whatever you want, and change the duration to 0.

Level 8
Yes if you are triggering the ability then you should definately invest some time to learn how to use and customise Channel because really that will be the only ability you need to base from as it is HIGHLY customisable. You are even able to change the BaseOrderID allowing a unit to have and use multiple Channel spells without conflict.

search it in google. If your Google Fu is strong you will find the page on Channel on 'the helper forums'.

gl

Level 25
Hmm ive checked around the tutorial on thehelper now... So "channel" is just like any other ability (sort of). Except you can mess around with the ID and you can make it as target/channel/aoe/and such and customize it in some ways. But the ability itself doesnt do a crap, you have to do all things that should happen through triggers?

Level 8
Bingo.

Many times since my short time here there have been topics about 2 spells based from 1 spell on a unit conflicting and people getting confused between Order String and BaseOrderID. You can change the Order String to any old crap and use it in an order check condition but changing the BaseOrderID is what stops spells conflicting and triggering each other and the only spell you can change this in is Channel. It's an ability specificly created as a trigger ability.

I've never tried but maybe it's possible to make Channel do something like add a buff using only the object editor. You can always add special effects to it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.