• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Good Spell Bases

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
I need a targeted spell, that has a missile art (unlike chain lightning, finger of death, channel, frenzy, etc), and doesn't stun (unlike storm bolt, hurl boulder, firebolt, etc), and that can be cast on everything (on enemies).
I know that I can trigger the missile, but I don't want to do that for every single spell.

I know that Acid Bomb covers these criterias.
I am not certain about the Death Coil (not sure if it can be cast on undead enemies).

But once I've used up these 2 - are there any other good spell bases I can use?

How do you remove the stun? With triggers? If you just set the value to 0 it'll stun permanently.

I use Acid Bolt myself. Pocket Factory is good if you need a point-target that launches a missile (and you can use a dummy unit to catch when the missile is destroyed, though you won't be able to get who cast the spell). A missile system is better than pocket factory. Otherwise Channel is a go to spell if you trigger everything.

Level 13
Storm bolt interrupts chanelling.

I checked and Death Coil indeed can't hit undead enemies.
Shadow Strike is good, but apart from Acid Bomb and Shadow Strike - I can't think of any other targeted spell, with missile art, that doesn't stun/root.

Level 6
What about use death coil and remove leave the target table like this, enemy, ground, air.

Level 12
If you really want to avoid having a projectile system and want to stick with these, you could use finger of death / chain lightning / any other instance cast, single target ability and then just have a dummy fire the acid bomb spell.

Actually that would be a hilarious / primitive projectile system. Just use acid bomb dummies for your projectiles.

Definitely not what you want in the long run, but for maybe one case, you can just use the acid bomb dummies for a quick "hack" to get things rolling (sucks when you have to stop development to go build / find and install and entire system).

Level 12
It is pretty lightweight and really good for some use cases... however, it is not what you want a missile system for... you generally want it for its extensive features that are normally unachievable.

Ya, for sure. The main one I always think of is just like a shockwave spell that dissipates as soon as it hits anything. That and also a boomerang projectile lol. Lots of possibilities with a fleshed out system.

Level 13
Hmm, the dummies casting acid bomb is not a bad idea at all.
By the way. What is the missile system doing exactly?
Creates a dummy with a model and moves it around every 0,03-0,05 seconds, creates an event (a unit is in range - for the missile unit) and stuff like that?

Level 12
Hmm, the dummies casting acid bomb is not a bad idea at all.
By the way. What is the missile system doing exactly?
Creates a dummy with a model and moves it around every 0,03-0,05 seconds, creates an event (a unit is in range - for the missile unit) and stuff like that?

Pretty much.

However, I would just check around the projectile each time for units. I would attach triggers to the projectile for when it finds targets and for when it dies and those would serve as functions for the projectile when it hits or reaches its end distance.

You could also have the option to have it home on targets and you could even add arcing, but that gets a little more complicated. For starters, I would just make the two abilities I described above - a shockwave that stops on impact (and maybe does something like an energy ball that explodes and then damages / knocks back everyone in the area) and a boomerang projectile that hits on the way out to a certain distance and then comes back to the caster no matter where they moved (would require the unit homing part).

That would be a good base for the system and you can already do a ton with that.

Level 11
Shadow Strike and Acid Bomb are the only targeted abilities that have Missile Art and no Stun.

They are really versatile abilities that come with incorporated Dots, Slows and even Armor reduction (with Acid Bomb).

The issues are that Shadow Strike creates numbers on the screen with the damages and that both of these abilities don't stack with copies of themselves (or so I think).

Status
Not open for further replies.