• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Gold is the frontier

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Reactions: deepstrasz
In this altered melee map the players are split from each other by goldmines
It is an altered melee map because I had to change the path of the gold mines to allow them to block path there is no other change to the rules.
However the bases are absurdly close probably changing tactics a bit.
It is an adaptation of a warcraft 2 map.
Warning: this map is boring.
Contents

Gold is the frontier (Map)

Reviews
deepstrasz
Plus, if one player is Undead that means a Ghoul attacking the enemy workers and Human can use Militia. The map is absolutely simple. The fun factor cannot be present while the above stated problem still exists. Set to SubstandArt...
Level 19
Unless you allow multiple players too pick up gold from the same mine and make sure they don't leave the gold mine to the wrong direction, i can see this going bad in many ways (Specially if your enemy is night elf and therefore will insta claim almost all gold mines)

Level 5
Did not through yet to races that claim gold mines.
Night elf can not instaclaim all due to range but there is another problem:the gold mines change size when claimed.
I might have to change more to gold mines since it is not warcraft 2.

Level 5
Well in the base WC2 map one of the concepts was that the workers could early go through the gold mine wall(in wc2 there was ways to make your miner go to the other side).
tower rushing is expensive for undead.(for night elf it is less expensive so it might be problematic)
Often I start by towers right near the gold mines to kill the enemy miners and orcs are good at that since their orc burrow do not have tech requirements and deals good damage when filled with a few workers(so you get firepower quickly) basically by placing a tower right near the goldmines you have a clear shot to the workers and every race can do that(some can not do this as early as the others)
I am patching the size of elf and undead gold mines(before it created a hole between the two sides allowing both sides to reach the other now it no longer do that).
Also I checked night elves can claim only one gold mine.

Last edited:
Level 5
Well there is two players and like 8 gold mines so at start one player can claim at most 5 mines(with five workers and fast clicking) leaving 3 mines to exploit to the other and that is in the case where one player is left with more time than the other in claiming and by spending more time on claiming and using all his five workers he do not start building stuff immediately(and so is at disadvantage) so the most mines a player should try to claim is 3(but in that case he builds only two buildings at once at start)
Gold mines have only 1000 gold so claiming new mines with an undead builder is much more a gambit(hoping nobody kills your gold mine before you use it enough)
and when one mine have been destroyed you can start quick attacks at the enemy base.
However doing some tests with players instead of ai would help a lot to guess whenever gold mine claiming is such a huge trouble.

Level 5
In my tests the game generally ended before half of that gold was mined.
The two bases are insanely close and there is so few space that if you wanted to build T2 buildings you would basically need to clean some space in the opponent base.
I never went T2 in any of my tests: I always through my gold was better spent on building a tower/farm or by recruiting the melee fighter of my race in end game.
But since all my tests were done against ai I can not say at all that they were representative of situations players encounter.
If you want I can quickly tweak the gold in the gold mines(and set whichever value you want) and see if I can change mines to make them be used by multiple players.
You probably have a lot more knowledge about warcraft 3 than me.
However ideally I would keep this map roc compatible(and that involve a lot of restrictions if I ever need to use triggers to make mines able to be mined by multiple players) and as close as possible to a melee map.

Last edited:
Level 5
Well, nobody uses ROC anymore... but I will test this before giving you more imput.
Well I never told you that it was a roc map interesting to test.
In roc the balance is nearly identical(the main differences being that heavy armor is vulnerable to pierce and that there is only 3 heroes per race instead of 5 and that units are more expensive(and the impossibility to get early access turrets for undead and human))
If mine control is too much a trouble I can add one gold mine on each side(so that a player have at least one gold mine if he is stunned for 3 minutes and that the opponent did put one peasant to mine each mine on the line)
Then another question since you might or might not have tested the map: did you found it boring?
I do not want to let people download a boring map without knowing what to expect.
Also do you have any idea of roc compatible doodads to add to decorate?(possibly which would not take up physical space)

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Gold mine claiming is still a big issue as the game will not allow you to take gold from a gold mine another player takes gold from (not to mention that you can't even get gold from enemy haunted or entangled mines withouth breaking them first)
Plus, if one player is Undead that means a Ghoul attacking the enemy workers and Human can use Militia.

The map is absolutely simple. The fun factor cannot be present while the above stated problem still exists.

Set to SubstandArt.

====================================================================

Always check/recheck the Map Submission Rules! (Map Submission Rules)

These will help make a better description:

Screenshots could attract more players to download your work. Make the best of them.

A credits list is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated.

A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.

If you want more reviews, come here:
The Grand Review Exchange!

Level 5
I want to know how you did get your ghoul to attack workers(Unless you was playing against undead but then the situation is symmetrical(sorry was wrong one player can have 3 workers and the other 4 so I need to fix it) and there is only one worker you can hit and the player can use only four workers and then the ghoul can not attack any worker) before there is one gold mine entirely mined.
The game is supposed to be very close to the end when one gold mine is entirely mined and players are supposed to try to get an advantage through towers or heroes before that happens and possibly to recruit a bunch of melee units.
(basically the map is nearly over when one gold mine is mined)
I could remove militia on humans or reduce its stats.
I still have not found why people would need to have more than 3 gold mines at once while the game ends mostly before you get 15 workers(in particular because if you do not get your workers killed and kill the opponent workers you will win quickly)
If the opponent player spread his miners through as many mines as possible then he needed to send immediately a lot of workers and thus have built less offensive buildings and he had to claim only gold mines near the center(else he would not be reducing your production) and so you have an advantage for killing his workers(since you have more turrets and that you only have to focus them on the center while your workers are mining on peripheral mines possibly on the two sides thus forcing the opponent to spread his turrets for having good coverage of your workers).
On the undead claiming gold mines it is more of a problem for them than an advantage: if you kill their gold mines with turrets or troops recruited early they very quickly suffer from losing their mines(and not being able to rebuild them because you break the new ones) while you can mine mines that are as near as usual since undead can hardly get over one claimed mine.
Furthermore undead miners are the ones that are the most vulnerable while mining.
I might help undead by reducing sightly cost of the mine and putting a cap of one or two haunted gold mines(in case you fear mass claiming by undead but that is very hard seeing the cost of the mines and their vulnerability basically if you claim an intact gold mine the gold you get from mining it is twice the cost of the haunted gold mine and so you are losing gold if you start having workers dying and you surely lost gold on the mine if it gets destroyed)
The night elf claiming is more powerful since it do not cost gold but they never get the occasion to claim more than one gold mine at once(building a second town hall is going to make you have an hard time against the opponents because of all the resources spent for doing that)
Their workers are protected while in the mine but they are not very tough and the night elves also needs some wood so if you manage to either get an hall of heroes on the opponent side(undead) or have a hero that blinks(night elf) or have enough fire power from turrets(orc for example) you can destroy the mine and kill some workers and kill the new mine the elves are trying to build and so on(And/or invade their side since while they might get archers that are nice at shooting workers they are not that good against a melee unit).
An the other hand the elves do not have easy access to all their tech.
Their turret needs at least 120 units of time before the first one is built and deals less dps than a guard tower(which is also built earlier)
I guess archer spam might work for a night elf but I never had an occasion to test against non ai.
claiming gold mines is I think not a major problem for all the reasons I mentioned but if you have proof you played against a player and won through gold mine claiming(or have a tactic description that describe how to claim more than three gold mines at start without getting a major building disadvantage nor having your workers get massively killed) then it is sure it is a problem.
Anyway now each player have one gold mine only him can mine until one gold mine from the line is mined entirely(which is normally the phase where players rush and kills as quickly as possible their opponent)

I just did found that undead gold mines were up down asymetrical: at bottom there is two workers that can be targeted but at top only one can be targeted.
Trying to fix it.(it is a very hardcoded ability)

Last edited: