• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Goblin Production Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Hello!

I have a goblin race in my map. The goblins on my map are more of a brutal and violent kind of goblins, with only a bit of technology added. Of course, the goblins are weak but come in great numbers. I am trying to find an unique way for the Goblins to produce their units, instead of the ordinary "train-one-unit-at-a-time."

Anyone has any funny ideas I can add to my goblin production?

Level 4
A big huge goblin village, you can run to a goblin with a special hired goblin. You can ask the goblin civilans if they wanna join your forces. Then theres a 50% chance that they says no to what you wanna hire them as. And a 50% chance that they say yes. And it will cost you money each day or something. You can ask them to join the force as miner, soldier, priest and etc. The enemy players shall also be able to ask the civilians if ya want. Then you can make some villages/major cities, where you can hire different races with different special talents.

Level 2
Maybe combination units? Like you build 2 mechs and they can merge into a big stronger robot?
Or if your going for low technology, train big units like ogres/orcs that they merge and ride around - like the Alchemist

Level 3
Maybe combination units? Like you build 2 mechs and they can merge into a big stronger robot?
Or if your going for low technology, train big units like ogres/orcs that they merge and ride around - like the Alchemist

Sorry, but i must quote you :)

I like your idea. Kabel, use this :p

Level 2
The goblins buildings should be very cheep so you could spam them, then you should need some kind of combining factory to make better units like suggested earlier

Level 3
Why don't you use a trigger based squad spawning system?

something like, every time a unit of type X is created, the trigger creates more 3 or 4 goblins of same type near it.

From it, you can both attach them with AI, so only the created one is actively used, the other just mirror it's acts, OR they are fully independent, just are spawned at same time.

At the tooltips you specify to the user how many goblins of that type will be created.

Oh, sorry for the edit, but the goblins could also come from nowhere, like you'where walking with 5 or 6 goblins, and some others pop out off the jungle and join XD

Last edited:
Level 10
Thanks for all your funny and good ideas! :D
Please develop them further, like give an example of how to make the mechanic and so on!

Why don't you use a trigger based squad spawning system?

something like, every time a unit of type X is created, the trigger creates more 3 or 4 goblins of same type near it.

Good idea! Since the goblins are made from a trigger, is it possible for the spawned/created goblins to move to the rally point?

Oh, sorry for the edit, but the goblins could also come from nowhere, like you'where walking with 5 or 6 goblins, and some others pop out off the jungle and join XD

Any ideas how the mechanic for this would look like?

Level 3
Good idea! Since the goblins are made from a trigger, is it possible for the spawned/created goblins to move to the rally point?

Well, yes, just add as variable the created group, then give order to the variable representing this group. Then issue a order targeting a point (the rally point in question, that can be a variable too).

Any ideas how the mechanic for this would look like?

Use a real comparisson, combined with regions. Create regions at jungle, than anytime some goblin "you specify the type of it" becomes at XX range, than throw a random real between... 0 and 15, let's say. If the picked number is greater than or equal to 7, spawn the goblins at region, and issue order to follow the unit in range of region, after that, give control of the following units to player owner of the unit in range.

(it's only a supose, i don't tested this mechanism, but the idea looks like that)

Status
Not open for further replies.