• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Goblin Alchemist's custom Chemical Rage does not work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Hi.

In one of my maps I'm trying to make an ability based on the Goblin Alchemist's Chemical Rage. However, I can't make it work properly.
Basicly, the ability does the following during 20 seconds:
- Increases the size of the hero.
- Changes the hero's tinting color to (255,0,0)
- Increases the movement speed in (20 + (20 x Lv.))%
- Increases the attack speed in (50 + (50 x Lv.))%

I saw how the original Chemical Rage was set, and tried to make something similar. I created 3 heros, one for each of the levels of the ability, and set their movement speeds and their attack speeds to the appropiate levels, and set them in their respective data fields, in the ability. These heros are mere copies of the original hero, but with different attack speed, movement speed, scale and tinting.
I also changed the rest of the fields of the ability (I've done this a lot of times, and never had any problem).

However, when I test the ability in-game, something odd happens.
When I use, the hero succesfully transforms. His size grows, it gets red, the speeds increase, etc...
However, when the effect of the ability ends, the hero does NOT return to his original state, with the only exception being the scale size. I mean, he does not return to his original tinting color, and he keeps forever the speed bonus.
Obviously, there's something wrong.

This just pisses me off. In this map, I've succesfully done some triggered spells, and they work fine. And this one, that does not even need any trigger, is bugging.
:goblin_wtf:
I hope you can help me find the issue.

Regards

Level 25
There should be a field in the unit editor called "equivalents" or something - basically a list of unit types that the unit is regarded the same as, for ability and targetting purposes. Make sure that you updated that in your copied unit.

Something you can try is basing it off another ability, e.g. Bear/Crow/Stone Form.

Another option would be to trigger the effects:
- When you cast the spell, replace the spell with a dummy "turn off" spell, which will be the replacement for "unmorph"
- Change tinting colour view animation - vertex colouring
- Change attack and movement speed by adding an ability based on Endurance aura (for example; there are many other spells or combinations you can use), and remove this ability when the hero unmorphs
- Start a timer that will cause the unit to automatically unmorph when duration has been reached

Level 33
I don't know, for me, I would still use the same unit, without creating extra 3 units, this is the trigger way.
Because I can manipulate Hero Size, Hero Color, Movement Speed (Ability), Attack Speed (Ability).

Here's a test map, make sure after you import the trigger, read the setup trigger comments !

Attachments

• Morph.w3x
    15 KB · Views: 93
Level 9
I don't know, for me, I would still use the same unit, without creating extra 3 units, this is the trigger way.
Because I can manipulate Hero Size, Hero Color, Movement Speed (Ability), Attack Speed (Ability).

Here's a test map, make sure after you import the trigger, read the setup trigger comments !

Ohhhh! I understand! I was wondering how to add passive abilities without showing them in the interface. If I'm not wrong, if I add a passive ability to a spellbook, and then I disable the spellbookk, the ability will still work. That's basicly what you're doing, or not?

Well, before you posted, I did something similar to this but without hiding the ability, and I managed to make it look good... But this is very useful to me.
Thank you!

Regards

Level 9
You could also use item abilities - they don't have icons either.

They don't have icons? But... you can chose an icon for them in the Object Editor. Is it hidden in-game? Also, I though that item abilities only work if they are attached to an item. Do they work on units as well?
(Sorry, I've never played around with item abilities like this).

Regards

Level 33
You could also use item abilities - they don't have icons either.
Although there is an Item Ability which grants AS in % (Item Attack Speed Bonus (Gloves of Haste)), but there is no Item Ability which grants MS in %.

By separating this, you will get 2 abilities, which will make a total of 4 abilities.
What I did is combined them both via single ability and make a total of 3 abilities.

Ohhhh! I understand! I was wondering how to add passive abilities without showing them in the interface. If I'm not wrong, if I add a passive ability to a spellbook, and then I disable the spellbookk, the ability will still work. That's basicly what you're doing, or not?
Yeah, wonders of Spell Book :)

They don't have icons? But... you can chose an icon for them in the Object Editor. Is it hidden in-game?
It would still be hidden, you need another dummy ability to "represent" the added ability to the unit's UI.

Also, I though that item abilities only work if they are attached to an item. Do they work on units as well?
Basically, all types of abilities can be added to all types of units (some of them cannot, but mostly can)

There are 3 types of abilities;
Units
Heroes
Items

All of these abilities can be added to one another.

Like Units to Heroes / Heroes to Units / Items to Units / etc

Status
Not open for further replies.