• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Gaias Retaliation ORPG goes 1.2C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
After almost a year of development, we proudly present a brand new chapter for Gaias Retaliation.

attachment.php

Travel to Dun Haldran, a dwarven town high up in the Whitepine Mountains and prepare the pathway towards the epic conclusion of Gaias Retaliation.
A dozen new quests, several new bosses and hundreds of new items await our adventurers.

attachment.php

A complete revamp of the ability system now presents abilities as grouped choices, adding further depth to customize your character. Talents can further shape your playstyle by improving abilities or adding passive bonuses to your hero.

attachment.php

As your equipment improves, so does your character. Every piece of armor and weapon adds a new flavour to how your character looks and feels, changing not only the visible equipment parts, but also the clothes worn by the character.
To further customize your character, you can change your hair color and hide your equipped headgear.

attachment.php

The last update implemented the first new character class since the early days of developement of Gaias Retaliation back in 2009. Unleash the raw mental powers of the Psion or hone your skills on the bending of metal and play as a tanky Hexblade.

attachment.php

Find lost souls on your travels and explore the depths of the mysterious Soul Vault.
These souls will grow and gain power while in your sanctum, granting stronger bonuses as you progress through the game. Soul Vaults can be saved and loaded independent of your heroes and can be shared by across all your characters. Level up new characters and still get benefits for your favorite!

attachment.php

Select from a large variety of mounts and travel faster across Ankhmaron.

Custom Music & Voice Acting

Tired of reading and listening to the same old tracks?
Get a fresh selection of various awesome ambient music pieces and voice acted quests by dropping our official Gaias Expansion Folder into your WC3 directory!
This package is completely optional and will not modify your game files in any way. It will only be used by Gaias Retaliation and has no impact on other maps.

So what are you waiting for?

Download Gaias Retaliation v1.2C now or play directly on Battle.net by adding our bot "Gaias" to your friendslist and join the hosted games!

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    344.5 KB · Views: 136,777
  • 2.png
    2.png
    224.1 KB · Views: 133,584
  • 3.png
    3.png
    395 KB · Views: 137,389
  • 4.png
    4.png
    474.9 KB · Views: 137,206
  • 5.png
    5.png
    320.3 KB · Views: 131,978
  • 6.png
    6.png
    380.9 KB · Views: 7,316
Last edited:

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
Amazing!
I wonder what's up with those bars inside the pictures though? :)

Also, for any new player who wants to play it: There are bots hosting it 24/7 on Battlenet. Go to US West and join channel "Clan ORPG" to find other people to play with. Also you can write '/whois Gaias' to see the current name of the hosted bot game.

Level 14
Gaia's Retaliation is without a doubt the most challenging, beautiful, balanced, and fun to play RPG out there. You can play singleplayer and get quite far (with some difficulty) but it is ultimately a multiplayer map. This amount of balance in a custom game is rare and is definitely something to strive for. This game is absolutely worth the download.

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
make the game singleplayer-able. jesus christ man. no one plays warcraft 3 it's dead. single player games would make maps way more popular but no one DOES IT!!!!@#
You can play the game singleplayer, just not clear all content. Also we have a stable community of players for Gaias.

Basically, what you said there is just plain wrong. Please show some respect instead of writing aggressive nonsense like 'no one plays wc3 it's dead'. The game obviously isn't dead to many of us.

Level 7
make the game singleplayer-able. jesus christ man. no one plays warcraft 3 it's dead. single player games would make maps way more popular but no one DOES IT!!!!@#

I find your opinion to be funny, considering the fact that Warcraft 3's numbers were beating Starcraft 2 at all times, the exception being the first month of Sc2 and its expansions' releases.

The game is thriving. Perhaps you're misinformed, mate?

Those screenshots are too damn big, there needs to be some sort of html function integrated or a code to re-size images based on resolution. Please make that happen in Hive 2.

I had to zoom out the page by 50% to actually see screenshots normally.
+ The whole news section is now clamped with over-sized images, it would be at-least good to put them in "Hide" tabs.

On Topic-

The cinematic looked good, I can see how so much effort was put into this map. Good job, Zwiebelchen.

Level 1

I personally agree.

I find your opinion to be funny, considering the fact that Warcraft 3's numbers were beating Starcraft 2 at all times, the exception being the first month of Sc2 and its expansions' releases

Regardless of those numbers, Hands is right, we need more single player games. Obviously wc3 has aged and doesn't have the man power to keep pumping out games that depend on MP. That could change with the movie coming out, could revive the genre, who knows.

You can play the game singleplayer, just not clear all content. Also we have a stable community of players for Gaias.

Well that just isn't the same thing, now is it? That's like a demo. A stable community? It would be a much more stable community if the game allowed for single player. No schedule conflicts, no depending on other people being there.

Basically, what you said there is just plain wrong. Please show some respect instead of writing aggressive nonsense like 'no one plays wc3 it's dead'. The game obviously isn't dead to many of us.

Something not being dead to you is like saying your grandmother's spirit lives on in your memory. It just doesn't mean anything. Wc3 is hanging in there because a small fan base, a fan base that would be a tight tether with more single player friendly games. It was not aggressive nonsense, it was a factual opinion.

Moving on from that....

Why can't I get past the load screen :( Left it there for nearly two hours. Does it take longer for anyone else?

Last edited:
Level 32
Blah blah single player. Single player is never as fun :).
Seriously, stop complaining. Funny thing is that people complain about Hive not having enough multiplayer activity, from battle.net or on other sites. There are tons of campaigns and single player maps and if this isn't one of them, move on. The WarCraft 3 community is mostly the one that plays the games together, as a community does things - together with interaction. Asking people to get offline and play by their selves is the exact opposite for building a community for the map. Also, Gaias has been the most active hosted project for as long as I could remember, and they pull their audience from multiplayer games / servers.

Awesome work Zwiebelchen and crew!

Level 1
Blah blah single player. Single player is never as fun :).
Seriously, stop complaining. Funny thing is that people complain about Hive not having enough multiplayer activity, from battle.net or on other sites. There are tons of campaigns and single player maps and if this isn't one of them, move on. The WarCraft 3 community is mostly the one that plays the games together, as a community does things - together with interaction. Asking people to get offline and play by their selves is the exact opposite for building a community for the map. Also, Gaias has been the most active hosted project for as long as I could remember, and they pull their audience from multiplayer games / servers.

Awesome work Zwiebelchen and crew!

Oh come on Camping, stop complaining, people can have an opinion, don't just start blabbing and shooting from the hip :thumbs_down:

Single Player maps are still part of the community - everyone can take a part in it and interact with each other on the forums to give feedback, ask how to do a quest, etc. So making maps for people to play by THEM selves only improves the community bond! See us? We're being a community, interacting right now.

Obviously they don't pull their audience from multiplayer games or else myself and Handsoff wouldn't be here.

But there is one thing you said that isn't wrong, and that is it was some awesome work on this map

--

Oh and I got the map working, had to bump up model and textures up to 'high' but I played for about an hour, saved my game, and now I'm trying to load it the game crashes. Anyone else having this problem?

Last edited:
Level 24
Whoa, guys!

Ever thought that the through the World Editor, designers are able to craft maps that might evolve one day into industry leading games that can kickstart titan companies. Think about it!

Besides that, good job Zwiebelchen and gang. I'll pop this bad boy once I get home from work.

Level 22
Oh come on Camping, stop complaining, people can have an opinion, don't just start blabbing and shooting from the hip :thumbs_down:

Single Player maps are still part of the community - everyone can take a part in it and interact with each other on the forums to give feedback, ask how to do a quest, etc. So making maps for people to play by THEM selves only improves the community bond! See us? We're being a community, interacting right now.

Obviously they don't pull their audience from multiplayer games or else myself and Handsoff wouldn't be here.

But there is one thing you said that isn't wrong, and that is it was some awesome work on this map
Keep your voice down. You sound angry for a simple matter. You people sure can have and give opinions but you should do it politely and respectfully. Whether it is a single or multiplayer, it's the author's decision and none of us can really do anything about it. He has his reasons for making the map that way. So please respect that and share your opinion with well-mannered attitude.

Level 24
Keep your voice down. You sound angry for a simple matter. You people sure can have and give opinions but you should do it politely and respectfully. Whether it is a single or multiplayer, it's the author's decision and none of us can really do anything about it. He has his reasons for making the map that way. So please respect that and share your opinion with well-mannered attitude.

Besides the volatile spirit of this thread, I can still make out that there's a demand for singleplayer maps. :ogre_love:

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
The thing is... why is it that people like to come to maps that are clearly ORPG multiplayer based and complaining about the lack of singleplayer maps? If it was an idea for a map - sure I could understand. This is not an idea, it is a fully made ORPG. If you care to read about Gaias Retaliation, you will realise that it has been in development since at least 2009, with new content being released regularly.

If one likes singleplayer, why not go to singleplayer maps or to the developing map threads and suggest singleplayer rpgs to be made instead of heading to a 7 year old map? It is entirely offtopic to post complaints about general lack of singleplayer maps in this thread :O. I can understand the confusion though, since this is a News post, which means that some people might think it's meant for general Warcraft 3 opinions.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
I understand the frustration about the lack of Singleplayer maps. Then again, making this map a multiplayer map was a decision I made for one single reason: because I enjoy multiplayer RPGs.
And I will only make what I personally enjoy.

That being said; I'd love to create a singleplayer game that is focused on storytelling and character developement (although that would probably be german, since my english is not good enough to write dialogue). But this isn't that game, and given my tight schedule, there will probably never be one either.

I did my best to make Gaias as singleplayer friendly as possible. I added mercenaries, who are a huge boost to player power. I designed the majority of the quests to be soloable. I added recipe items and rarespawns to allow solo players to get loot that is otherwise restricted to multiplayer content.
The only content you miss out on is the content specifically designed to be played in a group. Which isn't even that much.

The question is: Would Gaias be a better game if I would allow singleplayers to beat all the content without having to engage in multiplayer? The answer is no. Because there are restrictions in multiplayer maps that singleplayer maps just don't have to deal with. Like the problem of permanent changes in the world or the lack of player continuity.

The thing is: even if I made Gaias fully singleplayer compatible, it would just not be a good singleplayer game. Projects like Iceborn that are designed around singleplayer will always deliver a higher quality in terms of singleplayer experience. There is just a whole new level of freedom that emerges from not having to deal with continuity problems.

TL:DR:
Making Gaias singleplayer compatible will hurt everyone: the singleplayer fans would get half-assed content without proper player-based narrative and the multiplayer crowd would get pissed for not having the feeling of achievement beating a hard encounter in a group. You would get a half-cooked soup that tastes no-one.
If you like singleplayer, there are some amazing options out there, like Iceborn or just recently Warden. Project Y4 is amazing if you are into Sci-fi and there is also the amazing Hero RPG from wc3c if you enjoy ATB combat.

@Ralle: thanks for fixing these images.

Oh and I got the map working, had to bump up model and textures up to 'high' but I played for about an hour, saved my game, and now I'm trying to load it the game crashes. Anyone else having this problem?
Did you save/load using the game menu or did you use the -save command? The game menu save is not supported in this game until blizzard fixes the bugs with timers.

Last edited:
Level 14
I play this map solo and have a level 50 hunter. It isn't that hard to work your way through it. It is incredibly challenging, but incredibly fair. Somehow Zweib managed to hit the sweet spot where you can really only handle enemies right around your level.

Sure, it sucks not being able to do the boss fights, but that hasn't stopped me from enjoying the quests, enemies, and beautiful terrain. Besides if I decided I really wanted to do some boss fights all I have to do is find a game on Battle.net.

Level 1

Cherry picking comments are we? "You can have an opinion, but keep it quiet" Yeah ok buddy. I'm not angry over a simple matter, I retaliated with the exact level of respect myself and Hands got. The author's decision? Thanks for that bulletin notice. Input is input, if I want to voice my opinion being this should be more single player compatible is properly placed. Please respect everyone's opinion, and don't say some silly thing like "keep your voice down" when it is only as loud as you read it. Thanks for coming.

The thing is... why is it that people like to come to maps that are clearly ORPG multiplayer based and complaining about the lack of singleplayer maps? If it was an idea for a map - sure I could understand. This is not an idea, it is a fully made ORPG. If you care to read about Gaias Retaliation, you will realise that it has been in development since at least 2009, with new content being released regularly.

The date of the game's development is pretty hard to miss, so idk what your point is. Label it complaining to demonize an opinion, that is petty. What we have is another MP game, when the single player genre is lacking in quantity and quality, comparatively. There is no rule stating "You may only pitch ideas for maps as feedback"

If one likes singleplayer, why not go to singleplayer maps or to the developing map threads and suggest singleplayer rpgs to be made instead of heading to a 7 year old map? It is entirely offtopic to post complaints about general lack of singleplayer maps in this thread :O. I can understand the confusion though, since this is a News post, which means that some people might think it's meant for general Warcraft 3 opinions.

Because 7 years is plenty of time to implement some single player capabilities, which it looks like the mercenary option is a step in that direction. Plus the game is great. You're essentially suggesting we throw the single-player plea on deaf ears, or hope someone picks it up and runs with it so we can enjoy that experience in 2019. Get real.

And I will only make what I personally enjoy.

Totally understandable. I'm not necessarily harking on you, or anyone for that matter, about this game not being a single player RPG. I defended a member who got hounded for saying he wished there were more single player RPGS (especially of this caliber) because I agreed that there is an imbalance in single and multiplayer RPGs.

Making Gaias singleplayer compatible will hurt everyone: the singleplayer fans would get half-assed content without proper player-based narrative and the multiplayer crowd would get pissed for not having the feeling of achievement beating a hard encounter in a group. You would get a half-cooked soup that tastes no-one.

I disagree, but I'm not the one producing work like this, so I won't bark up that tree.

Did you save/load using the game menu or did you use the -save command? The game menu save is not supported in this game until blizzard fixes the bugs with timers.

That....sucks haha. Yeah, I blew it then. That's fine, I didn't like my squire anyway :'(

---------------End responses here----------------------------

One of my favorite things about this map is the implementation of attachments. You pick up a sword, your char has a sword. You pick up an axe, your char has an axe. There is the "your class can't use this" cliche, which limits the diversity of a single character, but I got over it pretty quick when I found out I could change my hair color - that is awesome. If anyone knows of RPGs that also use attachment items heavily, I'd like to hear about them.

Didn't use the extended game with the music and voices, but since I blew up my save I will probably try that next. Terrain is gorgeous, I found myself playing with camera angles just to catch a glimpse of some of the scenery and stage my char in an epic fashion.

One minor thing that probably only bugged me was...no 'Hold Position'!
Hold Position is my go to button to make sure my guys dont go running off and getting into trouble. It is the most expendable orders option and was replaced to allow for a lot of customization and other options, so it is a good trade off - but dang it took me a while to get used to not being positive my guy would stay still.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
That....sucks haha. Yeah, I blew it then. That's fine, I didn't like my squire anyway :'(
Just make sure that you play the game in LAN mode, otherwise saving is disabled due to the possibility to cheat (and then use that character in multiplayer).

One minor thing that probably only bugged me was...no 'Hold Position'!
Hold Position is my go to button to make sure my guys dont go running off and getting into trouble. It is the most expendable orders option and was replaced to allow for a lot of customization and other options, so it is a good trade off - but dang it took me a while to get used to not being positive my guy would stay still.
There is an option in the menu that opens when you hit the "?" ability in your hero command card. It will disable all auto-engaging and works basicly like an automated hold-position.

Level 19
How can I load the saved game I couldn't find anything mentioning this?

Update: I managed to load it. But I've got some problems about gameplay, the game is designed for large groups of adventurers, I'm playing this map with only one friend.

The game does not change difficulty for us though. We hired some mercs from the tavern, but we can't kill the Zibnix boss. We are 13 lvl and we don't want to grind and grind just to get stronger we did it for so long until now.

Another problem is potion cd's. Why has a pot got a cd? For crowded parties it can be a good idea to nerf down the effect of the potion, but in 2 player party it just kills us. The shaman merc can't heal enough and potions are not reliable after the first usage, so we've hit a dead end and we can't progress further into the story.

Last edited:
Level 19
I'm a lvl 13 magician with a sorceress merc
Friend 13 lvl squire with a shaman merc

Squire tanks the boss, then I try to deal as much damage as possible. Another issue is the aggro system, but I think that's got to do with War3's system, sometimes the boss randomly targets another unit, like a merc or me who he can kill with a few swings.

Idk what we can do other than this, it's classic dungeon party :S

Other than that the map is awesome really, I noticed that I only wrote complaints. This map deserves so much good words. Terraining and systems are well done!!

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Watch your threatmeter in the top right corner. As a magician, always try to stay below the 100% mark and you should be fine.
Note that there are boss mechanics that use skills on the second in aggro, but these can usually be healed.

Your party composition seems fine to me. If you can't kill even Zibnix with that, then your tank probably needs to gear up some extra armor first. For example, you can get a decent armor from the giant crab boss and buy a better shield in Riversdale.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
So far, this is the best RPG I've ever played. Hoping for more updates to come...
Thanks for the kind words.

You're gonna love what's going to come. It's something that hasn't been done in WC3 before (or at least not to the level of polish it's going to have in Gaias Retaliation), so stay tuned for that. It's closer for betatest than you guys think.

Level 4
Instead of asking about single-player, play this on battle.net. This map was pretty awesome and it is awesome to see it updated still. Keep going!

Level 2
I may have found some bugs... or not...

There is a boss in riversdale that looks like an ent that doesn't spawn anymore everytime I load my codes.

In sergeant qwerty's quest, the word "comrades" was misspelled.

The Cleric's Resurrection doesn't have a cool down but it says in the description that it has a 300sec. cool down.

Also, if Casimir dies in the bandit cave, should he still respawn or not? Because he doesn't...

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
I may have found some bugs... or not...

There is a boss in riversdale that looks like an ent that doesn't spawn anymore everytime I load my codes.
It's a rarespawn and will not always be there.

In sergeant qwerty's quest, the word "comrades" was misspelled.
Thanks!

The Cleric's Resurrection doesn't have a cool down but it says in the description that it has a 300sec. cool down.
"Cooldown resets when out of combat".

Also, if Casimir dies in the bandit cave, should he still respawn or not? Because he doesn't...
He only respawns when resetting the whole cave via the entry beacon.

Level 1
Amazing!
I wonder what's up with those bars inside the pictures though? :)

Also, for any new player who wants to play it: There are bots hosting it 24/7 on Battlenet. Go to US West and join channel "Clan ORPG" to find other people to play with. Also you can write '/whois Gaias' to see the current name of the hosted bot game.

War3 can't load this map; please help me how I can load this map to play with friends via garena

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
... This would kinda deserve a new newspost, but I don't wanna look greedy and just post it here:

Gaias Retaliation just got Rogue-like!

BlackfireGates.jpg

In the brand new release of 1.2C(5), I just added a new gameplay element in the form of an entirely randomized dungeon, including randomized creeps, randomized dungeon layouts and randomized bosses and loot.
No run will ever be similar to the last one!

When entering this dungeon, your level will be temporarily resetted to level 1 and you will lose all gear while in this dungeon. But don't worry: you will get it all back once you leave.
In there, you will have to fight your way down, gain new levels and find new equipment and adapt to the completely randomized challenges ahead of you.
Experience an immersive and exciting new way to play this game and play with your friends regardless of their character levels or equipment quality!

Enjoy the first incarnation of a feature that will be constantly expanded on in future releases. Among the upcoming features are: Different tilesets - frequently changing the visuals of the dungeon as you venture deeper - unique drops that are exclusive to Blackfire Deep and can even be kept after leaving the dungeon and even randomized quests and events!

All you need to do is meet up in Dun Haldran and enter Blackfire Deep for an exciting new adventure that would probably qualify as a whole new game!

Blackfire01.jpg Blackfire02.jpg

As always, download here on Hive and play on our hostbots!

Last edited:
Level 23
I just added a new gameplay element in the form of an entirely randomized dungeon, including randomized creeps, randomized dungeon layouts and randomized bosses and loot.
Ooh, nice. Share your generation algorithms? I tried to do a procedural map once and totally failed, so it would be cool to see what a successful implementation looks like!

Last edited:

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Ooh, nice. Share your generation algorithms? I tried to do a procedural map once and totally failed, so it would be cool to see what a successful implementation looks like!
The systems are public available in the resource section.

but why didnt you make that roguelike idea an seperate map since that uses its own rules from lvl1 up. ?
Because obviously I didn't want to make a second map.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.