• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Fixing Old Campaigns

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Hivers, if anyone has the time to make these maps I'm linking work, please do so. It's a shame not have them be played and to leave them working improperly as long as they are uploaded in the Maps section.

These ones have issues with level transitioning not working:
Norj'Hal Elves Campaign v40
Old Gods v1.04d
Maelstrom v1.5

People have been complaining about this one cannot be started or crashing in the beginning:
The Plague of Lordaeron

Also, this campaign series (only linking one) has compatibility issues:
Mathias Part I - The Pursuit

There might be others, but these are with most problems I've encountered.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
So, @Warseeker solved it! He wrote to me about it through a conversation as this thread was locked:

Hey, I just wanted to reply to your thread : Fixing Old Campaigns but since that thread is closed I will simply reply you here.
I do believe the reason why those transition campaigns gets you back to the menu screen when you return from a submap is due to the campaign name which is long. I managed to solve that bug by renaming this campaign for exemple : Norj'Hal Elves Campaign v40 to HighElves.w3n in the campaign folder and it worked perfectly!
I also think the two others campaigns have the same problem as this one too. I haven't tested them yet but judging by how long their name is, I think that would make sense.

Wow, really? Thanks. May I ask for this reply to be ported to that thread?

Did you also change the cache name that's being saved in the triggers of each map or how does only the .w3n filename length count in all this?

No, I haven't touched anything in the triggers, I just downloaded the campaign, renamed it and played it.

I really don't know about this, I guess the editor has a limit when reloading data from cache. I also experienced this kind of bug in my campaign when I named it Legacy of Lordaeron.w3n for the first time and the transition didn't work so I had to rename it using a short name.
I think the max length is 12 or 13 for this kind of campaigns.
Strangly, it seems that this filename length affect only the newest patchs of Warcraft 3 since those campaigns support patch 1.21 like it shows in the description.

Yeah, I guess. People should know about this.

Thanks a lot @Warseeker!

Status
Not open for further replies.