• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[FINISHED] Spells and Systems Mini Contest #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 40
Welcome to The Hive Workshop's

spellsandsystems.gif
Spells & Systems Contest #8

Introduction
The Spells & Systems Contest is a mini-contests due to its low requirement, time limit and prize. The aim in each contest is to make a spell that matches the specification included below. To win, you simply have to try your best to make a spell with the given theme, while considering the main judging points.
Task
This contest's theme is

Spell Manipulation

The spell must manipulate magical elements: mana, buffs, other spells entirely, summoned units, (etc), can be affected. For example, the spell might add/remove buffs, reflect spells, etc.
Rules
1. Post your own work only!
2. Only one (triggered) spell should be sumbitted.
3. Don't protect your map!
4. The spell should have been started after the contest started.
5. Do not use custom sounds, icons or models that boost your spell's effects!
6. Your spell must support multiple levels (at least 2)!
7. You cannot use WEU's advanced functions!
8. The test-map should provide proper testing of the spell (low cooldown, many/respawning creeps, etc...)
9. Both JASS and GUI are allowed.
10. If you use any 3rd party tools, say what they are, and if they're obscure, provide a link!
3rd party tool examples:
  • WEWarlock
  • Grimoire (and/or JassNewGenPack)
  • WE Unlimited
  • WE Helper

11. You may use utilities (that do small jobs), but no large do-it-for-you systems.
Examples of utilities:
  • Local Handle Variables
  • CSCache
  • Armor Detection System
  • Vector System

Examples of large do-it-for-you systems:
  • Particle System
  • Caster System

If you break the rules, you will be disqualified from the contest.
Entering
To enter, simply add a reply saying you will enter. You must edit that post, and attach your finished spell there!
Do not reply more than once to make it easier to find who's taking part and who is not. Do not reply unless you wish to take part, only Administrators/Moderators may reply as much as they want about the contest (even if not entering).
You have 13 days to submit/modify your spell, and one day (Sunday) will be used for testing the spells and announcing the winner.

You can not enter this contest, if you
-have a negative reputation
-won the previous spells & systems contest.
Judging
Judging will follow a formula:

1. Idea (5 points) - Originality and execution of the idea is the goal.
2. Triggering (5 points) - Making efficient, leakless, and simple (as possible) triggers is the goal.
3. In-game playability (3 points) - Making sure your spell is easily understandable (tooltip, not overcomplicated) to the average player, as well as having a practical use in x game type is the goal.
4. Visual effects (2 points) - Making a nice-looking (but not too complicated) effect, while not hugely hindering the spells playability value (excepting spells with this theme, such as a spell that masks the screen for enemies of the caster) is the goal.
5. Theme (3 points) - The better the spell matches the theme, the more points you will get in this category. ex: A black hole is 'Evil' (judging by the models) magic, but it doesn't really fit 'Evil', so that would get a low rating should the contest theme be 'Evil'. A Death Bolt spell, on the other hand, would score a high rating.
Prize
A spell can earn a maximum of 18 points. It's simple, the contestant with the most points will win.
The winner's prize will be 10 reputation points, and earn a spot in the "Spells/Systems hall of fame" (list of winners of this contest).
However, the winner cannot participate in the next contest.

You have 13 days to work on and submit your spell.

The deadline is: 18th November (Sunday), 00:00 GMT.

Good luck, hope to see a nice turnout of original spells!
~PurplePoot

Last edited:
Level 4
I'm definitely doing this one. Count me in! :D And count my WINS!

You already won Contest #6, why would you want to participate in #8 for? I'm not raising suspicion, I'm just asking

Oh and um, I probably won't enter this contest because it sounds too complicated. I may change my mind, but chances are that I'll stay out of it.

One question that my decision is dependant on: Would spells similar to Mana Burn be able to fit the theme?

Level 7
In my opinion, IMO means in my opinion, but thats just my opinion. [/spam]
Question: Can the spells be something like, you have 2 custom abilities, one which does something, and the other effects that first spell?
If not, is it allowed to modify a specific hard coded ability (aka modify Holy Light on the Paladin, or something)

Level 4
Here's the definition for Manipulate

1. influence or control shrewdly or deviously
2. hold something in one's hands and move it
3. tamper, with the purpose of deception
4. control (others or oneself) or influence skillfully, usually to one's advantage

Seeing that manipulation is the act/practice of manipulating and that this contest is on Spell Manipulation, IMO it may give you an idea on what kind of spell to make

I found it on Dictionary.com BTW

Level 1
I'll enter

My spell is: Mana Leech(+ purify)
The caster conjures a leech made entirely out of mana.The mana leech sucks the mana from enemy units, sucking 6.25/12.5/18.75/25% of it per second. The mana bursts out violently and deals damage equal to the amount sucked. The mana is transferred to the caster, if the caster is purified it heals the caster for the amount sucked divided by two. The mana leech lasts for 20/25/30/35 seconds and sucks from a range of 300.
Summoned units take 300% damage.

Leaks a little but i can fix that.
Sorry about the custom icon but i just couldn't leave it out.
The only third party tool i used was JassCraft.

edit: maybe its not quite in theme....

Attachments

• ManaLeech.w3x
    30.7 KB · Views: 118
Level 4
Good job Cuttle. You've already entered the contest with your designated spell while the rest of us are still bitching about how this is going to work...

No offense intended to anyone *prays for reply saying "None taken" or something like that*

Level 12
Guys.....

"Do not reply more than once to make it easier to find who's taking part and who is not. Do not reply unless you wish to take part, only Administrators/Moderators may reply as much as they want about the contest (even if not entering)."

"cough"

oh, and ill enter aswell

Prepare for Pwnage!

Level 8
As long as I can find time, I'm in. Spell manipulation...hmmm. Casting an invisible buff so that the next spell target unit casts is actually cast by the caster of Makeshift Puppet. This seems complicated, but I think it is worth it. Maybe I will manipulate spells in another way.

EDIT: I change my mind. I will go with a spell I will call Unshakling which will cause a targets units summons to be given to Neutral Hostile and attack the summoner. I will give them a new expiration timer and probably kill them automatically on caster death.

EDIT: Here is my spell, Unshakling. It is not MUI but I don't know JASS. It keeps the units as they were before they were switched. I think it is ok, all info is on the loading screen. I think this is spell manipulation because it is manipulating summoned units which are more or less magic. I know the caster art is a little odd but it has little to do with the spell. Have fun.

EDIT: Fixed a bug that I didn't notice, fixed tooltip. This is my final entry. Slow internet is causing a HUGE wait to upload map for me :cry: If you want to post feedback, do it via PM. This is my first completely custom spell.

Last edited:
Level 4
Razorbrain, no-one obeys every single rule. It's not like we're puritans and the rules are the bible. Oh and I have changed my mind, I will enter. I'm even preparing my spell now.

Level 40
I just clean the thread every once in a while, Razorbrain, if it gets out of hand. That's more of a guideline.

And CarrionMan described it well; I personally got it straight away from Daelin's.

Here's Daelin's description;

"Spell Manipulation", however that is interpreted. It could either be in terms of mana, spell reflection, buff control or whatever else it may be. It sure leaves a lot of interpretation and I'm personally curious to see what people could come up with. And you can expect quite some entries as it's a pretty free theme. Feel free to limit it if you find it far too vast.

Does that clear it up at all? ;)

Level 4
[spam]Yay, I finally got reputation... I'd like to congratulate the guy who give it to me[/spam]

Anyway, I have a problem with my spell. It's supposed to take off initial health and mana, while more is lost over time. The initial mana loss works fine, but instead of taking away 5 mana from the affected unit, it sends its mana back to 200. Any help here?

Level 6
i dont know if that Manipulates a spell though edge.
that's why i'm asking. in my opinion, if there is a bolt of lightning or homing fireball coming your way and you make it miss you, that's manipulation.

either way, i can make the hero deflect the spell (idea reserved, boys; don't touch) but i really wanted to go with nice and simple spell - like something blizzard would make for a new hero. spells have a tendency to get overcomplicated in these competitions.

It doesn't have to literally have to manipulate a spell in that sense (see description).
be precise: evasion ok or evasion not ok?
(also feel free to merge all these posts into one. i liked the thread page in competition #2 where we all had one post which was a dialog with you)

edit: i'm out. i couldn't find time these few days. if i chose to make the spell in a day or two, i'll post it on hive for everyone...

Last edited:
Level 7
Ok i sign up, took me 2 days (Yesterday and Today) to make the spell:

Penality

Hurls negative energy on the targeted unit removing every buff from it
and burning mana equal to buff numbers. Also then it uses the energy
of burned buffs to make additional jumps on nearby (500 range) enemies.
(1 Buff = 1 Jump)
Level 1: Burns 15 Mana per Buff.
Level 2: Burns 25 Mana per Buff.
Level 3: Burns 35 Mana per Buff.

Attachments

• PenalityMap.w3x
    18.3 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Level 27
EDIT 2: Final version is attached. GL to everyone!
Short description:
Soul Suck:
Absorbs 50/100/150 mana from every nearby unit and gives 15/30/45% of the mana stolen to the caster. Mana absorbed this way will be dealt to each unit in damage. If the picked unit has cast a spell in the last 5/10/15 seconds, this effect will be doubled. If the picked unit has not cast a spell in the last 30/45/60 seconds, the effect of this spell will be halved.

Uses KaTTaNa's Handle Variables.
--donut3.5--

Attachments

• SS8.w3x
    22.6 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Level 2
Ill enter :p

Magic Thrist Ray:
The description is in the map (loading screen) sorry
Ok, this is a remake of a spell that i make for my map
I used the NewGenworldeditor

Attachments

• Spell Contest MTR #8 by Admax.w3x
    57.7 KB · Views: 68
Level 2
How many entries are required to close?
ok i say: dont extend but it depends on how many participants are required...This is the first time that I participate in this type of contest :Z ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.