• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Favorite Fantasy Race/Creature

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 30
This makes you... puke?
images

Elves = meh
I don't exactly get the point, pointy ears and suddenly you're magic/superhuman/immortal/etc. And nothing really seems to have any consensus on anything other then pointy ears, in one case they're immortal fancy pants with a stuck up attitude while in another they're just woods people with an ear deformity.

Also since when are humans a "fantasy race/creatures?"

Eragon was a discrace, a blatant rip off of every good bit of fantasy literature ever, and elves are soo generic and so prancy nacy pasny tards i want to puke... even more when i see eragon, it is such tardy literature...

His parents are publishers, thats the only reason he got it published. His dwarven language is a ripoff... i could go on...

Level 27
Lucent, you're terribly right!
And Spyro is a son of Spy and Pyro!
Pyro and Spy are based on Valve's Team Fortress 2!
This means... Valve owns Harry Potter?!! :vw_wtf:

Well, after Tolkein made Lotr, there's no hope of seeing completely original fantasy. And he was the begginer of it! What does it mean, unoriginality of races is in DNA or Fantasy?!

Level 21
You are just jealous that Elves are sexy and hot and can live long in time that we age quicker than they do, and quit with the Fantasy hate.

Fantasy is a great series in its own way.
Who the fuck cares about how people tell a story differently then another story teller and how they tell their story.

What I'm meaning is just enjoy Fantasy.

Level 19
You are just jealous that Elves are sexy and hot and can live long in time that we age quicker than they do, and quit with the Fantasy hate.

.... wat lol?

Besides that, the Chaos guys in Warhammer seem to be pretty cool to me, though, Warhammer has awfully many ripped off things (or so it seems).

Last edited:
Level 13
Guys, it's quite literally impossible to make a completely original story.

Sure, some fresh breaths here and there wouldn't hurt, but then again, those do exist. If you read fantasy, look at the plot, characters, descriptions... well, frankly, everything ELSE than originality of the friggin' SPECIES they use.

You don't see anyone shouting at crime fiction writers because they always use humans and crime, do you?

You don't see anyone shouting at crime fiction writers because they always use humans and crime, do you?

YES, I DEMAND DOG CRIME MYSTERY

Guys, it's quite literally impossible to make a completely original story.

Sure, some fresh breaths here and there wouldn't hurt, but then again, those do exist. If you read fantasy, look at the plot, characters, descriptions... well, frankly, everything ELSE than originality of the friggin' SPECIES they use.

Well not quite impossible, but thinking of something no one else has ever thought of before is quite hard for obvious reasons. Thus pretty much everything, like you said, involves similar plot/characters/etc. Some people get quite famous for rehashing the same thing anyways because that author had a way to reach to the audience in a way other authors, who may write more creative stories, were unable to.

Level 13
Notice my use of the word "completely;" I didn't say it's impossible to make an original story, but a completely original story with no ninja'd elements is impossible, given our current situation etc. etc.

All race and nations in Warhammer are based on a real life one. Hell, the map of the Warhammer World is based on the real planet Earth.

Races? Maybe human nations, but not races. What are based off, Wood Elves, High elves, Dark elves, Dwarves, Lizardmen, Skaven, Orcs ... ?

Mummy Kings? Questing Knights? The Empire?

1. Egypt?
2. Arthurian myths.
3. HRE.

Oh noes, they ripped stuff from REAL LIFE! The owner of human history needs to sue them!

Level 13
Races? Maybe human nations, but not races. What are based off, Wood Elves, High elves, Dark elves, Dwarves, Lizardmen, Skaven, Orcs ... ?
High Elves: Britain, stereotypical British Posh People
Lizardmen: Aztecs, Mayans, etc.
Orcs: Football hooligans (I shit you not)
Dark Elves: a really twisted version of America (really, really twisted)
Wood Elves: basically a stereotypical woodland druidic people. Not so much an actual real life civilization.
Dwarves: A little bit of Scotland.
Skaven: Perhaps the only one which isn't exactly based on anything in real life

Note that they are BASED on real life civilizations, NOT direct translations. Of course there are differences.

Since when is this a contest of which fantasy game/series has the best story?
Warcraft never seemed terribly good imo anyway, it's not bad but it's nothing spectacular.

And from what I've seen of WoW, it seems like Blizz has actually been pretty good at keeping a sense of story even with the challenges poised by an MMO, like the fact that the story has to be able to have thousands of people playing it at the same time in different places and change up enough to warrant multiple play throughs.

Atleast in orcs and humans it was epic, massive armies of humans and orcs and demons going at it against each other... Now its about some emo prince who doesent like ot being important and some other underly-epic shit? meh, chaos and tft were fun, but it was kinda underwhelming until mt. hyjal. and tft wasnt all that epic imo either.

Level 21
Well anyway if you guys are still rating on about Warcraft on why you fucking hate it, well then I'll just post some more of my favorite races and creatures.

I liked the JRR Tolkien Hobbits and they were interesting living in the Shire and having different family names and kinda having a order between on which family was well known and such.

I really enjoyed seeing the Dinosaurs in the crater in WoW and brought so many memories as once I was a kid I used to love Dinosaurs as a kid.
I love how the Jungle Trolls have a raptor mount and I kinda bought a raptor and I'm deciding to give it armor like the Jungle Trolls did with theirs.

And I do like the intelligent races of the ancient world and how they make themselves better than the young races of the new world.

Status
Not open for further replies.