• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

name uruk-hai

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
there are those weird lotr creatures called uruk-hai. im not that much of a lotr fan so i wondered if anyone else could help me to find out about that "uruk" part since that was the summerian capital (used to be ruled by gilgamesh).
many fantasy stuff has relations to reality... maybe theres a weird connection? plz post all u got about these creatures. (i dont even remember how they look like)

Level 12
I'm not too sure why, but the name Uruk is yes, from the tale of Gilgamesh and is supposedly a Babylonian city.

Uruk-hai were the orcs bred in the Third Age to counter one problem orcs could not deal with: the sunlight. Because of this, Sauron (no, Sauron actually started breeding Uruk-hai, not like the movie version) began a chain in which the orcs were bigger, and tougher. It started off with some sort of breeding with men to retain the property. As the name suggests, it means "orc men."

Like Mecheon said, the chain of trolls began breeding as well with the Olog-hai "troll men," who of course, were bred to counter the sunlight problem. Quite a bunch, eh?

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Zaur aka hilander said:
Tolkien invented this word by changing word "orc"
Here
orc -> oroh -> uruk.

He did a nice job. He made the same with languages I think. I think he joined parts of all languages, and then formed the new language for sindarins, noldorians and all that elven language. I've read the books long time ago and i'm tired of lotr so i can't remember that stuff right now :p

-Rui

Status
Not open for further replies.