• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Fate ORPG - Yes, another RPG!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Yah man, I dont play wc3 often anymore, I have been playing WoW since its release and now I just quit WoW recently. Since I don't have anything to do I came back to goof around hiveworkshop and happend to run into you, haha.

I'l hop on bnet to talk to you in a bit if your on.

Level 3
Huh.

This screenshots and features stunned me like a... well ;s Godlike work mate!

It looks like a very good oRPG in a wc3 map, but i just dont like one thing - Why max number of players are 7? Think about it, u can add some PvP arena around, 1v1, free for all and/or team vs team, where 7 isnt possible to fight for all. U should make it as geminate number, like 8. PvE isnt all what ppl likeing, PvP feature will make this map not only playable for monster slayers, but for all RPG lovers. When u will make good PvP system, like a generatable arena, similar to WoW Arena, it will be map not for hours, days, but for months or years. I stopped playing TBR after 1 week coz there is no point of slaying monsters and collecting items only, there is not good PvP system, for what should i play it then? With this, there will be aim for long play, because ppl want to compete each other, they want to send some respect to other players. Also, if u will plain this well, makeing a character will not concentrate only for PvE, but for PvE and PvP.

I was follow some oRPG's in develope stage:

- TKoK (2.x) - probably the best looking oRPG, but there is no PvP and too linear story, without special dungeon maps this project wont be for long time
- Dark Invasion 2 - very good ideas but, nothing special for long time (thinking about first part of DI)
- Everwood - we will see, looks great in development, especialy with model based items on ground as well as on character and nice terrain
- TBR 2.0 with dungeon maps - another promising oRPG, but what about PvP? Dunno.
- And what? Fate oRPG - near all in one - party system, model based items on characters, stunning terrain, alot of dungeos (probably), epic fights, systems, everything seems to be grinded to every detail, BUT! What about PvP, is this another pure farming RPG without point for the future? I hope not.

Thumbs up guys, make this map as awesome as it seems!

Level 4
Huh.

This screenshots and features stunned me like a... well ;s Godlike work mate!

It looks like a very good oRPG in a wc3 map, but i just dont like one thing - Why max number of players are 7? Think about it, u can add some PvP arena around, 1v1, free for all and/or team vs team, where 7 isnt possible to fight for all. U should make it as geminate number, like 8. PvE isnt all what ppl likeing, PvP feature will make this map not only playable for monster slayers, but for all RPG lovers. When u will make good PvP system, like a generatable arena, similar to WoW Arena, it will be map not for hours, days, but for months or years. I stopped playing TBR after 1 week coz there is no point of slaying monsters and collecting items only, there is not good PvP system, for what should i play it then? With this, there will be aim for long play, because ppl want to compete each other, they want to send some respect to other players. Also, if u will plain this well, makeing a character will not concentrate only for PvE, but for PvE and PvP.

I was follow some oRPG's in develope stage:

- TKoK (2.x) - probably the best looking oRPG, but there is no PvP and too linear story, without special dungeon maps this project wont be for long time
- Dark Invasion 2 - very good ideas but, nothing special for long time (thinking about first part of DI)
- Everwood - we will see, looks great in development, especialy with model based items on ground as well as on character and nice terrain
- TBR 2.0 with dungeon maps - another promising oRPG, but what about PvP? Dunno.
- And what? Fate oRPG - near all in one - party system, model based items on characters, stunning terrain, alot of dungeos (probably), epic fights, systems, everything seems to be grinded to every detail, BUT! What about PvP, is this another pure farming RPG without point for the future? I hope not.

Thumbs up guys, make this map as awesome as it seems!
By my calculations there was Host + 7 players = 8. Correct me if wrong.

Level 9
Yeah, we moved it back to 8 players total; wanted an even number. Only downside to this is that we limited the total number of members that can be in a party to 4. What this means is, if you have a full game of all new characters, you will have to split up into two groups of 4. No worries though, AutoParty does all the work for you.

As to the PvP, you never know, it might go back in before release, hah. It's just very, very hard to balance pvp versus pve.

Attachments

• 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    186.2 KB · Views: 730
Last edited:
Level 9
Bump: added a cool new pic at the top of the first post.

a little update
- finalizing code map to merge the two maps
- finishing abilities and preparing them for the code map
- finishing a few minor areas terrain-wise

Level 7
Holy hell, what size is the map? Not file size but actual dimensions, I guess im wondering if you used WEU or you just scaled everything down. Anyway it looks extremely cool but I have a few suggestions. Make a trigger which allows you to name your character (if you havn't yet) and i think the intown dueling is cool (why'd you get rid of it o_O).

Level 9
The map is 256x256, but there are a lot of camera tricks and scaling to give the illusion of a much larger and animated world. Town dueling is just.. on hold for a while until we work out a few kinks with it. And as to naming your hero, that would be impossible because you cant set a hero proper name via code. You could, however, name yourself as a player that showed up as a chat message, but that would be rather useless.

Level 3
s[i]n;744758 said:
Yeah, we moved it back to 8 players total; wanted an even number. Only downside to this is that we limited the total number of members that can be in a party to 4. What this means is, if you have a full game of all new characters, you will have to split up into two groups of 4. No worries though, AutoParty does all the work for you.

As to the PvP, you never know, it might go back in before release, hah. It's just very, very hard to balance pvp versus pve.

You are right, its very hard, but.. if u gonna make / made good skill system, not only 4-5 skills from standard wc3 panel, then its much easier to balance, how? Be opened to every good suggestion about skills, your choice is how u will polish them. I guess u are skilles mapmakers, so make a skill pool (tree for example) for players, where they can decide - PvP or PvE (PvP for example - slow, target stun, silence, dot's, haste's, etc; PvE - AoE spells, dot's, heals, etc). Make a vendor who can reset ur skills for a big price. If u thinking about spell power vs monsters and players, it needs a little bit thinking. Make a stable, not crazy regen for monsters, spell damage doesnt need 9999999 dmg. Characters dont need lvl 9999 cap for hero and skills, they dont need 5 milions HP and mana. Also dont be insane with item bonuses, critical chances, dodges and spell resistances, itr should be rare. Look at WoW Arena map, there is very good balance in PvP as well as PvE. Take some ideas from other maps, like DotA for example, polish them some, and u got it. And key - first release shows all, if u gonna continue project, u will grind balance up to high lvl. You cant make fully balanced map from first shot.

Last edited:
Level 4
You are right, its very hard, but.. if u gonna make / made good skill system, not only 4-5 skills from standard wc3 panel, then its much easier to balance, how? Be opened to every good suggestion about skills, your choice is how u will polish them. I guess u are skilles mapmakers, so make a skill pool (tree for example) for players, where they can decide - PvP or PvE (PvP for example - slow, target stun, silence, dot's, haste's, etc; PvE - AoE spells, dot's, heals, etc). Make a vendor who can reset ur skills for a big price. If u thinking about spell power vs monsters and players, it needs a little bit thinking. Make a stable, not crazy regen for monsters, spell damage doesnt need 9999999 dmg. Characters dont need lvl 9999 cap for hero and skills, they dont need 5 milions HP and mana. Also dont be insane with item bonuses, critical chances, dodges and spell resistances, itr should be rare. Look at WoW Arena map, there is very good balance in PvP as well as PvE. Take some ideas from other maps, like DotA for example, polish them some, and u got it. And key - first release shows all, if u gonna continue project, u will grind balance up to high lvl. You cant make fully balanced map from first shot.

agree above and so want to start to play with the first demo version!

Level 34
Few questions.

1) How are equips working?

2) For quests, is it MUI?

3) How many play hours are we looking at?

4) How difficult would you say the game is going to be?

5) For boss fights, how long do you expect fights to last?

6) Would you say epics and other such items are really hard to obtain, medium or easy?

Level 9
Few questions.

1) How are equips working?

2) For quests, is it MUI?

3) How many play hours are we looking at?

4) How difficult would you say the game is going to be?

5) For boss fights, how long do you expect fights to last?

6) Would you say epics and other such items are really hard to obtain, medium or easy?

1. Equips use a custom inventory system, utilizing the Heros main inventory. You have 5 slots; Weapon, Offhand, Armor, Ring, and Accessory. Equippables can each store up to 5 gems, boosting the efficiency of that item to your liking. As to backpack storage, you have 2 pockets for (misc) item storage (10 slots). One 5 slot pocket for (quest) items. One 5 slot pocket for (potion) items, and a "hearthstone" like item that teleports you to last visited town with ah 10 min cooldown.

2. I'm not sure how we are going to handle main quests yet. The only "quests" right now are in the form of "marks". Marks are basically bounty posted on a sign in each town, and the rewards for the marks differ from one another. Quests in general will most likely be storyline related only, and have not been completed yet. Quests will be player dependant, with the exception of some global quests.

3. Now I havent personally played through the entire map from 1 to 60-65, but if I were to guesstimate, probably around 15-25 hours to level cap. This does not include all of the work need to obtain side items and activities. Some side activities include a reworked fishing system, a "digging for treasure" system, ghost hunting (at level 20+), and the deity quests. I can assure you this though, there will be plenty to do.

4. Difficulty is scaled based on two variables, the number of players in the game, and the level of those players. Again, this has not been tested to its full extent, but I'm fairly confident that it scales correctly. Obviously the first few areas are much easier than later game ones.

5. Boss fights can mean a few things. There are 5 main dungeon bosses, and 1 hellgate boss, as well as 30 or so sub-bosses throughout the world. All the dungeon bosses are scripted, as well as events relating to that dungeon. If I were to guess, an average boss fight might last 5-10 minutes, with the exception of the hellgate boss.

6. Rare and epic items are once again scaled to the level of mob you are fighting. You will find more rares towards the beginning of the game, but after that, the drop rates for epic and rare items decreases significantly. I also purposely added farmable creatures throughout the land at different levels that have a much higher drop rate for good items then the monsters around them. Its up to the player to find those certain creeps.

Hope I explained some things, I can go into further depth if needed.

Level 3
i mean skeleton is undead, in every fantasy world

undead = zombies, ghouls, skeletons, ghosts, liches, banshees, vampires and nearly every living dead units, but everyone knows that ;)

Level 8
Not Every "Undead" Race is the same,
Your basically saying a Undead Orc, would be the Same as a Undead Gnome. Those both could easily be separate races,
[The Difference in stats can easily be figured out.]
But the races Fate is bringing, Is more of Fleshy Undead Too the Skeletal Undead, they have enough differences to be counted as separate races.

Level 4
How is that funny?? The Undead can also be called The Living Dead. Please think before making fun of a statement.

I haven't seen the races yet, but i will right after i post this.

Oo.......My bad....sorry for making fun of you ,xtc_
It havent meant to be anything insulting.....
I just saw loads of people putting funny quotes from other ppl in their signature......so i thought "why shouldnt i do it too ?"
But obviously i am so stupid not to figure out that The Living Dead is not funny............Sorry for being immature..........
-----------------------------------------------
Back on topic: Will Fate have attachment system ? I mean ,when u equip a sword,will a sword model be in ur left hand or whatever ?

Level 10
Just with all the craziness going on in this thread about the undead, I thought I'd just add my 2 cents lol

Warhammer, that table top boardgame that was basically warcraft before there was warcraft has 2 undead armies, The Tomb Kings (predominantly mummies and skeletons) and the Vampire Counts (Which is your vampire bloodlines and a mix of ghastly critters).

If the storyline for your two undead races isn't yet set in stone, maybe to avoid confusion you could mirror these races in your own. The skeleton race could be more of an ancient race of undead, like the tomb kings, and then the other flesh undead could represent some sort of vampuric/demonic heritage.

Just an idea, I always have been a fan of the living dead. When this game is released you can be sure I'll be flipping a coin to decide which of the two undying races I wanna be

Rui

Rui

Level 41
s[i]n (DELETED) said:
im very confused. whole pages of posts keep getting removed from this thread
Sorry. It's just that people really post useless things on this forum's threads.

I'd like to ask everyone to delete any "useless" messages that one who wishes to read the thread would have liked to skip.
Thank you.

Last edited:
Level 5
Bull shit. How can you dictate what someone would want to read? Im sure that everyone would like to know when this would be released? Why are you being such a dictator? Oh and go ahead and negative rep me. I DONT GIVE A SHIT.

Getting negative rep for voicing an opinion. Great.

Quote this if you think Mods have too much power.

Level 12
Bull shit. How can you dictate what someone would want to read? Im sure that everyone would like to know when this would be released? Why are you being such a dictator? Oh and go ahead and negative rep me. I DONT GIVE A SHIT.

Getting negative rep for voicing an opinion. Great.

This is the map development forum, not the chit chat forum. Don't delude yourself with the notion that you're being silenced, because you're not. The mod is just cleaning up the topics/replies in the forum that do not belong in it.

Also @OP, get fraps and record some game footage!

Level 9
This is the map development forum, not the chit chat forum. Don't delude yourself with the notion that you're being silenced, because you're not. The mod is just cleaning up the topics/replies in the forum that do not belong in it.

Also @OP, get fraps and record some game footage!

Yeah I will eventually.

Clan BoM - Bringer of Maps &bull; View topic - October 2008 Progress Report - (Pics) <-- new screenshots

Also, it just pisses me off when I check back here every once and a while only to see entire pages of posts missing. At first I thought it was just the server or something but it has happened 3 separate times throughout the past few months that I can count. Please stop fvcking removing posts/pages; if I don't like what I see, purplepoot is a friend and I will inform him when something needs to be done. Thanks.

Level 3
Are you going to have other models? IMO some of your models arent too good, like Dragon Paladin - he doesnt suit to any orpg as a hero-model. This is just my opinion, and this is the only one thing i dont like in this map - everything another is very promissing.

Level 9
Well there are like 15 models for the different races, I just use the dragon one because i have some code rigged to test and make screenshots with. Plus the fact I don't want to give everything away before release.

Level 9
A combination of mdx squisher and editing the models themselves to produce a smaller file size.

By the way, I'll get some new screens up sometime soon. Thanks for everyone interest in this project.

Level 9
Cool, thats your opinion. We work on it literally every day, whether it just be a small amount, or get lots of things done, its still being worked on. Plus the fact that neither of us really have a date set to complete it. We will release something when we are ready. Until then, I'll make a video or something. Good day.

Level 4
Great project!

Just curious about two things though...

Would it still use the crummy, WC inventory system?

Second, what's the point of this RPG? Now, I'm not badmouthing the project but... will this be a stereotypical RPG map with only hack n' slash with a few quests to fill in the endless voids or will this have some backstory? I'm a fan of moral dilemmas and disambiguation so... :grin:

Level 4
actually there are a lot of screenshots you can see in their clan forum.

that ain't not normal WC inventory system. I wish I can play this RPG dungeon raid. It looks really cool.

Level 4
Ah, so it does not use the standard WC inventory. Yummy. I hope this can be played via Single Player. ::chants vigorously::

Level 9
Hey, sorry I haven't posted here in a while, have been busy. As to the inventory question, yes, we will be using an advanced inventory system to give users a large amount of space to keep items.

{EDIT}
Just letting everyone know this project is still in full swing... A little progress report:

Terrain: 100%
Items: 100%
Systems: 100%
Heroes: 100%
Abilities: ???

Yes, all that is left is abilities, and ability balancing. I will have a gameplay video up soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 9
I updated the first post with some new and changed information.

I also removed all the pictures because they were majorly outdated. Like I said earlier, I'll have a video up sometime tonight as well as up to date screenshots and area pictures.

Thanks for everyone's patience and appreciation.

Level 5
I saw Fate, and I was thinking that it might be a WC version of the game with the same name. But no. It looks much more interesting, I just HAVE to give this a whirl, especially with screenshots like those.

That is a sweet inventory system.

Level 6
This would be the best moment of my life if I wouldn't have started palying WoW again :p
Amen. I too have been pulled back to WoW thanks to Wrath of the Lich King, still I check this thread every week or so and I'm still way excited. Keep it going Kilix! I really can't wait to give this one a whirl. Havn't played a good ORPG for a looooooong time.

Level 8
Hi,

that it very awesome!
All the thinks, you post in the project presentation are very nice an interesting. And the screen are looking great, too.
I hope you can end this project and we have fun with one of the greatest Warcraft III Rpg's.

Kricz

Status
Not open for further replies.