• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Extracting frames from models

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 34
Hello mortals! :cgrin: I have a question for you. Is there a way to extract frames or GIF from model animation? Open Magos or MDLvis, set manually unit size and direction facing/angle of the unit, and play the animation, and extract frames or gif out of it? I know to do a massive screenshot for that, but is there another way like some tool or option?

Do you mean you want to set up a "scene" where you fix the unit position/animation and then take a screenshot? If yes, you can use retera model studio, you can edit the animation and freeze it at some point to take a screenshot of the "stance" you are interested into, e.g :
Uther.png

If you're looking for a tool to take screenshots/gif, I suggest using shareX.
I believe it is not possible to extract frames/gif from model animation with current Wc3 editing tools, doesn't sound useful, just taking screenshot/gif with another software sound more logical.

Level 34
Hello man! Thank you for posting here.
This is what I want for example

framov10.png

I manually set angle and zoom of peasant, took gold walk animation to play, and rapidly took screenshots manually. But I ask is there way to do it by tool because manually you can miss some frames, but tool sees all frames. And you can determine which one to extract.

Peasant.gif

I have had success in the past with the program "ScreenToGif" that I downloaded from online at some point.
It lets you record an area of the screen and save as a GIF, as well as tweak the frames that are getting saved after you recorded the screen.

There was also a modded version of Retera Model Studio many years ago while it was still being developed that was able to save out a series of PNGs for a model file created frame by frame, but I have not maintained that code that was doing that and it probably does not work anymore.

Level 34
But it fitted nicely! It was the moment for this, and everything was prepared. You had an awesome audience for conversation there :cgrin:
Now, that word is linked to them. Still, we respect you here more than they are there, and we have a better sense of fun. And we cheer for you: GO RETERA GOOOOOO! YOU DA BEST CODER!

Status
Not open for further replies.