• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Expansion - World of Warcraft: Catalysm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Finally! I can stop give a shit about my items and just need as soon as an epic drop!
The time for casual child era has begun!
Thanks Blizzard!

[/Sarcasm]
You're right! Going to the spreadsheet everytime an item drops for you to determine if it's an upgrade is for pro players and is in no way annoying or time-consuming!
Oh, and if you want to get specific, the casual era started in BC with the badge system.

You're right! Going to the spreadsheet everytime an item drops for you to determine if it's an upgrade is for pro players and is in no way annoying or time-consuming!
Oh, and if you want to get specific, the casual era started in BC with the badge system.

BC in my honest opinion was actually good, save for the welfare epics. I totally liked the raid progression and its' (relative) non-repetitiveness.

Level 3
Tbh... I play now on WotLK, I have 80lvl Dranei Shaman and I'm making kinda nice progress... And about that expansion... I dont even think I'll buy it... Whole world seems nice but... 5lvl more to max cap is too low, Worgen race don't really fit Alliance. New classes for old races is weird and senseless for me... and stupid too... Dwarf Shammy or Tauren Paladin sux. I watched Blizzard trailer and what I saw there made me roflmao... Heroic DM and SFK... I don't really like that expansion so far;P

Level 10
I think the reason for them making HC modes for DM and SFK is so the old school players can do them with a challenge.
And I think you will in the end be forced to buy the expansion if you want to keep playing, because most others will buy it I guess.

Level 3
the most cool is that in the expansion, some maps that were normal will be full of fires and with a lot of darkness!

Level 31
god, i hope you realize the playable worgen arn't the same one from SFK. If so, here's a little lore lesson.

Arugal's Worgen: Summoned from a different dimension from various sources of research and such, they are loyal to Arugal and serve as his servents. Though, they are sentient, but plainly choose to be violent and aggresive. They are born and raised worgens.

Playable Worgen (the gilnean worgen)
Locked inside gilneas, the poor citizens had no way out of their demise from the curse. It spread like a pandemic across the city, transforming every unfortunate citizen into a worgen. Genn Gilneas and many other people begin to create a serum that allows control over your worgen character and being able to shift into it when you want to and not. (note: unlike arugal's worgen who are always sentient, the gilnean worgen cannot control themselves)

In the alpha, your Worgen character is first about to be beheaded and executed when you make him. Genn Gilneas rushes in and stops the execution and gives you the serum, rendering control of your body.

My point is that the Gilnean Worgen are former humans with control over their bodies and Arugal's Worgen are born that way. Aka, they are two different types of races in a way. So no, you are not going to play at all a 'true worgen', but only an unfortunate citizen who was transformed.

Level 5
god, i hope you realize the playable worgen arn't the same one from SFK. If so, here's a little lore lesson.

Arugal's Worgen: Summoned from a different dimension from various sources of research and such, they are loyal to Arugal and serve as his servents. Though, they are sentient, but plainly choose to be violent and aggresive. They are born and raised worgens.

Playable Worgen (the gilnean worgen)
Locked inside gilneas, the poor citizens had no way out of their demise from the curse. It spread like a pandemic across the city, transforming every unfortunate citizen into a worgen. Genn Gilneas and many other people begin to create a serum that allows control over your worgen character and being able to shift into it when you want to and not. (note: unlike arugal's worgen who are always sentient, the gilnean worgen cannot control themselves)

In the alpha, your Worgen character is first about to be beheaded and executed when you make him. Genn Gilneas rushes in and stops the execution and gives you the serum, rendering control of your body.

My point is that the Gilnean Worgen are former humans with control over their bodies and Arugal's Worgen are born that way. Aka, they are two different types of races in a way. So no, you are not going to play at all a 'true worgen', but only an unfortunate citizen who was transformed.

You obviously don't know about the back story of the worgen. They were taken from another dimension, and before Blizzard decided to make humans be able to change into them, they where ONLY from another dimension. Then with Wotlk, they changed it to where they could also be in human form. Now, they're coming up with this crude where you aren't rabid killing machines, and instead you're good. Since when where werewolves ever good? And with that, I go back to my original point, worgen=lore kill, cataclysm=WoW killer. End of story

Level 31
when you said that, i cried. then i read it again, and realized you are a total idiot. then i read it again and cried. this repeated for over 3 minutes.

then after i was done, i laughed hysterically for another 3 minutes because of how fail that statement was and how much you actually thought what you said was true.

Level 5
when you said that, i cried. then i read it again, and realized you are a total idiot. then i read it again and cried. this repeated for over 3 minutes.

then after i was done, i laughed hysterically for another 3 minutes because of how fail that statement was and how much you actually thought what you said was true.

Ok, two things, go to WoWWiki, you might learn a thing or two. And second look at this picture below, it might answer some questions that have been eating at you for years.

Attachments

• 465563.jpg
    465563.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 90
Level 17
You obviously don't know about the back story of the worgen. They were taken from another dimension, and before Blizzard decided to make humans be able to change into them, they where ONLY from another dimension. Then with Wotlk, they changed it to where they could also be in human form. Now, they're coming up with this crude where you aren't rabid killing machines, and instead you're good. Since when where werewolves ever good? And with that, I go back to my original point, worgen=lore kill, cataclysm=WoW killer. End of story
Hi.

Worgen curse. It has existed for some time now. Night elves helping them control themselves.:ugly:

Level 31
Ok, two things, go to WoWWiki, you might learn a thing or two. And second look at this picture below, it might answer some questions that have been eating at you for years.

i laughed again because wowwiki is were i got it from (plus the blizzes official site)

Arugal adopted many of the worgen as his own and retreated to the former mansion of Baron Silverlaine, the estate now known as Shadowfang Keep. The curse, however, was not contained. It persisted in the lands of Silverpine and extended even into the fabled walled nation of Gilneas, where the curse rapidly reached pandemic levels.

The citizens of Gilneas found themselves trapped, with no hope of escape. They retreated deeper within the isolated domain, and there they survived, fearful of the savage presence that lurked just outside the barricades.

Tensions among the displaced citizens escalated over time, resulting in a civil war that now threatens to destabilize the embattled nation even more.

There are those among the Gilneans, however, who cling to hope. Many believe that a treatment for the worgen curse may exist, although others have nearly given up, fearful that if the barricades should fall, their humanity will be lost forever.

(took out a part of the full paragraph beneath this because this is gilnean worgen only, the full paragraph can be found on the 2nd quote in "Natural Worgen")
Worgen are among the few humanoids that can be skinned.
With the news of World of Warcraft: Cataclysm, the worgen have been announced as the sixth Alliance race.
In World of Warcraft: Cataclysm, it is revealed that the worgen curse has spread into secluded kingdom of Gilneas, transforming its inhabitants into the Worgen. More recent evidence suggests that their true origin might have a connection to the night elves and a secretive druidic order from Kalimdor's distant past. Yet until new evidence comes to light, this information remains speculative. Many believe that a treatment for the worgen curse may exist, although others have nearly given up, fearful that if the barricades should fall, their humanity will be lost forever. The worgen will join the Alliance, but details of their inclusion are not known for now
:fp: is a bit outdated, it's a book in-game before Gilnean Worgen were released, pre-burning crusade aka 'vanilla' WoW (no expansions)http://www.wowwiki.com/Alphus_Wordw...2C_from_the_Notes_of_Archmage_Alphus_Wordwill

The worgen hail from a dark and treacherous world, from which there is no corner which is truly safe. There, the worgen battle their unflinching enemy in a vicious war; the Lords of the Emerald Flame. Ur, a mage of Dalaran, did research on worgen but never summoned them. Frustrated by the destruction of Dalaran by the Scourge and against the advice of his peers, Archmage Arugal elected to summon an army of the extra-dimensional entities by using Ur's research. The summoned worgen fought against the undead armies, but quickly turned on the wizards themselves. Driven mad with guilt, Arugal adopted the worgen as his children and retreated to the newly dubbed Shadowfang Keep, where he then cursed the village people of Pyrewood to turn into worgen whenever the sun went down.
Worgen are large, lupine humanoids reminiscent of a werewolf that walks upright, but lopes on all fours to run. According to sources held by the Forsaken, the worgen come from another dimension, and exist only to terrorize and destroy. These creatures are thoroughly evil, delighting in torturing and devouring intelligent creatures. They enjoy hearing the screams of their victims as they tear them apart piece by piece. Worgen never show mercy or remorse. They may seem savage, but they are fairly intelligent and possess a cruel bestial cunning that can come as a surprise to the unprepared.
ost worgen keep their wolf-like forms at all times, but experiments by the mage Arugal have resulted in human/worgen hybrids who only appear as worgen under the light of the moon. They carry with them a dark, corrupting malaise that grows wherever they infest, making the surrounding area dark and gloomy.
these worgen are born and raised this way as cubs and come from another dimension.

also, you did partake within this argument, thus you are to blame for that thumbnail you posted just as much as I am. Also, if you're going to make a comeback, give back up evidence from blizzard themselves about whatever your theory was.

Last edited:
Level 13
http://www.wowwiki.com/Pyrewood_Village You're wrong. The Worgen Curse has been around before WOTLK.

Level 17
... They did slaughter one part of lore with the Gilnean Worgen. Gilneas is a human kingdom, the night elves are an immortal people (well, before the Third War)... yet the Worgen are an ancient ally of the night elves in some twisted manner. Now in the War of the Ancients, there was no demigod resembling a wolf. There were only Ursoc and Ursol, the bear twins, Agamaggan, the giant boar (origin of the quillboar), etc.
The only real thing that resembled a wolf was Wolverine, but he had six limbs and the tail of a serpent. Now Blizzard better explain this in full detail, unless it was the night elves who were once worgen and soon could not control themselves, resulting in the Cenarion Circle having to banish them to this 'other world' from which they came.

Edit: There is Omen and Goldrinn, but Omen isn't really a wolf of sorts. Goldrinn may have something to do with it, but I highly doubt it.

Edit Two: I did find some information regarding the night elves and worgen, though they are not ancient allies. In fact, Velinde Starsong summoned the worgen to rid Felwood of demons by using the Scythe of Elune. When she sent them out, few returned and left them at their current locations in Ashenvale and Felwood and went to see Arugal to learn of them, but upon arriving in Duskwood, she was 'summoned' to the worgen world and dropped the scythe which unleashed the worgen upon unsuspecting miners. Jitters then picked it up and took it to the Yorgen Farmstead where he encountered the Black Riders of Deadwind Pass and dropped the scythe there, fleeing for Raven Hill. That is why worgen roam in Duskwood as well. In Cataclysm, Velinde will return.

Level 6
Onwards to Deathwing!
Reroll to furries!

Gotta love to see all these 11million people quitting WoW and reroll Warhammah!

Level 15
About people saying WoW is going casual/mainstream - Well, WoW IS the Mainstream. Every gae developer that is suppose to make a new MMORPG, either needs to do something similiar to WoW, but with their own style and some unique functions, like WAR. Or, they could do a new game, with original and unique gameplay, like AoC. We have seen how both of these games are doing.

Blizzard is collecting more and more money from WoW. They could make the whole game better for "Pros", hardcore players, with many ways, like WoW used to be before TBC, when not everyone could have the best armor in-game.
But why would they take that direction? They get more and more players, get more and more money and get more and more succesful.

About the lore; Well, it mat not fit a continuation of WC3, but still they have to expand and evolve the story in some way, and this is the way they chose. The lore is still not bad, people get pissed because you kill the bosses, the characters you loved to play in WC3 (Illidan for example).
But I must say, Goblins, Worgen and the new classes lore IS lame. They are as said to get more players.

But WoW is a REALLY good game, noone can disaggre to that. Superior gameplay, a huge world of lore, Warcraft. FTW

Level 17
I still don't understand it... I don't want to be a holy cow. Sure, I understand there is some background behind the sun and the tauren, but paladins? Come on. It's ridiculous.

Another thing I do disagree upon: Med'an. It's like making a quarter Afghan, quarter Chinese and half Indian the president of the USA.

Level 23
It seems that in this one Blizzard makes what players wanted - worgen and goblins playable races. However how they ruined much of lore...

Gilneasians never had any relationship with night elves, even further the worgen of Lordaeron have nothing to do with the night elves unlike their brethren in Duskwood and Nothern Kalimdor.

The whole world wrecked - oh please! This is crazy! I mean, they've destroyed Kezan!

When did Deathwing get in the dimension-prison of elementals anyway?

Why arent Old Gods mentioned, although they actually are the source of the Cataclysm, and masterminds behind Deathwing.

And now about the classes:
It seems that the new classes in the races will be actually members of different legacies:
Troll druid - Shatterspear village in Darkshore
Night elf mage - Shen'dralar from Eldre'thalas
Dwarven shaman - Wildhammer clan, so it is all easily explained.

Gilneas is pretty need and actually lore-accurate. But I fear that the destroction of many parts of the world might have some bad side effects.

However flying mounts mean that many lore-accurate locations will appear in WoW!

So Im yet to decide is Cataclysm good, or bad.

Level 17
Well, Deathwing accessing the Elemental Plane is perhaps accurate. Deathwing is the Earth-Warder, giving him power over the earth and it's fiery attributes.

Now, what I'm getting from Blizzard's impression of the Elemental Plane is that it is directly beneath the foundations of Azeroth. If you think about it, this may be logically correct. The Abyssal Maw is accessed via the deepest, darkest depths of the ocean and Deepholm is accessed through the earth. This explains how C'thun and Yogg-Saron are slowly regaining foothold into Azeroth: the Azerothians are purely using (summoning elementals such as the Kirin Tor or the summoning of Ragnaros) and accessing the Elemental Plane too much, not realizing what is happening.

In my opinion, the Elemental Plane is 'pre-Azeroth'. Some Christian beliefs say that God created three worlds: the first earth (which later turned into Hell), heaven and the current earth we live on. The Elemental Plane could've been the real Azeroth during the war between the Titans and the Old Gods.

And, the whole world being destroyed isn't crazy. All three continents were once all Kalimdor, but were separated by the Sundering. This is a perfect example of a destroyed world.

Level 23
Actually human mages create an elemental, they are not from elemental plane.

Yes, it seems about right, but it would be strange for a prison of elementals to be in Azeroth. Especially because it was explained to be a world.

Im thinking that Elemental Plane is a pocket dimension tightly connected to Azeroth. Also, if you recall the Titans didnt kill all the Old Gos because they knew that it would destroy azeroth. Lately C'thun was "killed" even though he is an eternal. If he could die along with Yogg-Saron it would easily explain the Cataclysm.
However since they arent dead, perhaps something much darker is going to happen.

Outland is a perfect example of a destroyed world. Azeroth was merely shattered.

Level 17
Sargeras almost entered Azeroth, yet it was merely shattered. Surely Sargeras would be more shattering!

And no, mages do not create elementals. Mages are manipulators of the arcane, they cannot simply create the arcane. This is why they must summon beings from other planes. Remember, warlocks are also former arcanists. They summon beings from other planes, but do not create them. The Dark Iron Emperor sought out to summon a weapon of devastation in the War of the Three Hammers. If he could simply create it, he wouldn't need Ragnaros.

Edit: I forgot about the Dark Portals. But it is still an odd case, surely the Dark Portal cannot be as terrible as the arrival of the Dark Titan?

Level 23
Yes, Draenor is strange, and I wish it survived. However it is quite interesting to note that since it's unic status and location it can be used to defeat the Legion or Azerothian races since from it it is easy to reach any point of Twisitng Nether.

Thats why its contested by Azerothians and the Legion.

And about the elementals... read here the part about Dalaran.

The Shattered Azeroth only made itself better I think.

Level 8
God lol really? I mean BC ruined this game completely and this is the 3rd expansion with 1 extra class? This game has defiantly just been altered for kids, raiding now is a joke pre bc content = a challenge requiring strat, BC WOTLK = tank and spank. Seriously why doesn't Blizzard just make tier gear vendorable? I mean it can't get any easier to get gear lol.

Level 14
God lol really? I mean BC ruined this game completely and this is the 3rd expansion with 1 extra class? This game has defiantly just been altered for kids, raiding now is a joke pre bc content = a challenge requiring strat, BC WOTLK = tank and spank. Seriously why doesn't Blizzard just make tier gear vendorable? I mean it can't get any easier to get gear lol.

I actually didn't find BC tanknspank. . .Kael ? Vashj ? Archimonde ? :| I mean obv there is attuneman and moroes and the bear boss from ZA. . .but Zul'jin ? In terms of raiding I think BC was the most balanced.
Actually I think BC was the most balanced expansion in terms of hardcore / casual balance.
I mean ZA was meant for casual. . .but Zul'jin is for skilled casuals.
However actually each expansion is just a different game. . .vanilla wow was all about fantasy / daydreaming and because of large scale battles of 40 people vs boss and his adds tuned for a 40man raid the feeling killing Kel'thuzad back than must have been epic. 40 man raids ? Well that was hard to organize, or at least harder than a 25man.
BC raiding was all about very fun boss fights with some backup lore we all know (I mean seriously Nefarian was no one compared to Maggy). And I really liked the uniqueness of the BC fights more than of vannila wow.
WotLK for me is just a test expansion, they test different new engines, new concepts, test what a new class means and how it affects balance of game.
As for Cataclysm it's like all the bad things from WotLK get reworked and introduced into a new expansion. They said now for the "hardcore raiders" there will release 4 raids (and it wont we will have many ony-style raids), and I believe they said one of those raids will be attuned for more skilled people.
As for the Worgen / Goblins. . .well it's easier to introduce a new race than a new class since races don't come with big balance issues.
Why Worger are @ alliance ? Well the worgen as a race were idd ancient allies of the night elves, they were summoned using the scythe of elune to aid the night elves in battle. The Lordaeron worgen actually are related with the ones from duskwood. . .because Arugal (from shadowfang keep) traveled to duskwood in order to aquire the scythe of elune. Than from SFK the plague spread down towards gilneas. . .since it seems it cant affect undead. Also it seems that the forsaken are assaulting Gilneas. . .an enemy of my enemy is my friend. I'm sure more info about why Gilneas are with the Ally will come forth when we play the game. I remember when BE apeared a lot of people (and I) thought "lolol BE should be ally!" but than when u remember events in wc3 and do the starting quests from BE area...well it all makes sence. And people stopped complaining.
However what I don't like about cataclysm is the simplified stat thingy on items..not more spell power. no more attack power, no more mp5...just intel, agi and intel. I mean do we really need to make the little ones understand this game ? I really wonder what else can they achieve with this feature.

Level 23
Blood elves would rather join Alliance then the Horde. Mind I remind you that the blood elves in command now are smarter then Kael'thas, and less Alliance hating. Especially if they still remmeber the sacrifises humans made in the Second War to save Quel'thalas, from the Horde.

Level 17
The Blood Elves of the Horde united with their brethren, the Forsaken, which prompted much discussion about the future loyalty of the blood elves. Seeing as the Forsaken - their closest ally - are with the Horde anyway, they saw it as a convenience.

Now, the Blood Elves will never go back to the Alliance. I will give you one reason why: The Silver Covenant. The High Elves are a faction of the Quel'Dorei who refused to become addicted to mana, and fiercely oppose everything the Blood Elves have become. In fact, they believe the Blood Elves were pathetic to let themselves go.

And also, the fact that a majority of the Forsaken were also dead high elves contributes to the relationship both the Blood Elves and the Forsaken share.

Level 17
Spending time =/= challenging.

Level 16
Cataclysm Artwork and Screenshots

MMO-Champion showed some new screenshots and also some new concept artwork for
Cataclysm, when i looked at one picture i noticed something...
female_goblin_heads.jpg

The bottom left corner sais "*Goblin Heads - Female* WoWx3 @Blizzard'08"
Wait a second. '08? So they were working quite a time on it, even while working on Wotlk
Could it mean a shorter time to wait for Cataclysm?

Level 13
I'm fairly sure that Blizzard already confirmed that they have worked on Cataclysm at the same time as WOTLK.

Level 5
Deathwing? :<

I noted something intresting the other day: Official warcraft lore ends with the Lich King taking his throne. This is a becon of hope. I understand that being able to kill all the 'big badies' from warcraft must be fun and gratifying but... there must be limits.
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/story/chapter5.html

I heard they were going to release a patch were you can kill the Lich King.
I could go off giving a paragraph on how the Lich King is currently the most powerful being on the planet and anything smaller then a titan would chrisp at his mere glance but i wont. I just sit in my corner and pray that War 4 comes out in time to mend the shattered dignity of a once epic plot.

Level 17
The Lich King is certainly weaker than Deathwing. Deathwing caused something close to the original Sundering and without the raw might of magic or the Well of Eternity. The biggest thing Arthas did was send two of the world's most respected kingdom's to the ground. The only beings on Azeroth I would think are more powerful would be the Old Gods considering they themselves once took on the Titans, and we all know how powerful the Titans of the Pantheon would be. Sargeras was only a protector, imagine the real-deal. =O

Level 13
Worgen doesn't fits with WoW in my opinion.
They should add a new kind of Group, with The Naga and some others...

Status
Not open for further replies.