• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Role Playing Game] Everquest Online Adventures: - Old side project of mine but probably a waste of my time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
I have been away from map making 2 years now but wanting to pick this project back up. EQOA was an amazing game and well, nostalgia is a hell of a drug. Enough that I am considering of starting this project back up. Although I must concede it is a huge undertaking and probably not worth it at all with little to no intrest in it outside of the EQOA community and MMO/RPG fans.

I spent a lot of time on this when I was actively working on it and while on the surface it doesn't seem like there is much done remember that MMO's are huge games with countless systems and porting something like that into WC3 is a huge challenge. No, I don't expect it to be an exact replica or even remotely true to the game but it can certainly capture the feel and spirit. My goal is to create something that 4 to 8 people (2 groups of 4) can play and enjoy for a few hours that captures the nostalgic feelings of playing an old and dead MMO.

When looking at the state of the project, numerous things have changed, broke, or has simply become out dated due to Reforged and numerous patches along the way. Pretty much all of the systems would need to be reworked in some way. Like this wasn't already hard enough...

KEEP IN MIND:
- this is a general preview of an old project
  • there is almost no polish, terraining, and zero custom models
  • this post is just showing some of the idea, feel, and systems of the game
  • most of what I have done is under the hood - lots and and lots of systems and triggers

CLASS SELECTION: (currently broken / camera and spacing)
WC3ScrnShot_080121_224934_001.png

STARTING STATS / ALLOCATION: (currently working mostly but needs adjustments)
WC3ScrnShot_080121_225116_001.png

ENTERING THE WORLD / SEAMLESS STANCE CHANGING: ( 3d, needs more camera work but functions /// changing from melee to ranged works perfectly)
WC3ScrnShot_080121_225352_001.png

WC3ScrnShot_080121_225412_001.png

FAST TRAVEL: (working perfectly for 8 main towns / cities but needs adjusting to mimic how it was in original game)
WC3ScrnShot_080121_225426_001.png

WC3ScrnShot_080121_223511_001.png

WC3ScrnShot_080121_225451_001.png

MORE SCREENSHOTS: (just random ones, selection systems, revive points, raid zones etc. almost no teraining has been done yet, its all been about working the systems and testing testing testing)
Some interface things, accessing inventory, stats, etc and other systems.
WC3ScrnShot_080121_225657_001.png

Unqiue spells and systems that scale with stats, level, mob type and resistances etc.
WC3ScrnShot_080121_225952_001.png

Same for experience and leveling up as well as a debt system, when you die, you have to pay a taxes back on being revived, its an Everquest thing...
WC3ScrnShot_080121_230003_001.png

Cazic Thule / Avatar of Fear. an old favorite raid boss, also a dragon, Siliskor...
WC3ScrnShot_080121_231038_001.png

Tethelin, home of the wood elves, this was a pain to create and I am happy with it but needs more tweaking and the cameras especially...
WC3ScrnShot_080121_231118_001.png

Conning system, something unique to EQOA, selecting a mob would give it a ring, red was deadly, much higher level, while was equal level, blue one level less, etc... this was fun to create and implement into the game - its a little slow by one second but works well...
WC3ScrnShot_080121_225551_001.png

WC3ScrnShot_080121_225553_001.png

Alright, this is long enough, you get the idea. There is plenty more that I could show and I can answer any questions if they arise. I am posting this looking for others opinions on if I am wasting my time, being too ambitious, etc. Hope you enjoyed this small preview, I am eager to here any thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.