• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Role Playing Game] My newest project

What type of map should it be?

• Single player map

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Single player map + 1 or 2 AI players

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • 2 players with optional single player + AI player

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • More players with optional single player + AI players

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Multiplayer only(no AI)

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
Since I found out there was a map editor for this game I wanted to make RPG-like map. So here I am, trying to make one(lol, everyone knows this will never happen but eh, I will give it a try :alol:) and I was working on it the past 2 days like crazy :D

I dont have much ready, not even the story as is right now, but there are some things shaping.

I have not much done yet (link), but I wonder, if you(as in, all of you that read this) would rather like multiplayer RPG map(something on style of Gaias) or rather Singleplayer. I am asking, because 1. Im on very early development so I can still change(there is nothing to change in this aspect yet anyways) things around. 2. This game is not so much played and it seems people are not really keen to play new maps, only sticking to things like Gaias(this one is understandable, thanks to the MMO-like progress), Azzy wars, broken alliances, and other.
Also when you have 1 player in the game, the gameplay is quite limiting compared to like 2 players or even more, when it comes to boss fights for instance, and if I would enchance the gameplay with some AI, I can just make it multiplayer with the AI. However, I never made any AI scripts and so I dont think I could pull like 5 AI players. Or just make it N players or good bye.

So I wonder what people would like to play so I know what should I make the map like.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

The RPG type depends on what you're trying to create really. If you want a story-orientated one, I'd suggest Singleplayer - that'd remove any size constraints and you could really express yourself through not only the narrative but also the scenery. If you want to make a co-op experience, you'd be better of with a 2-4 player map which relies heavily on teamwork. If, however, you're trying to get that slight feeling of competition and more communal feeling, make it a multiplayer RPG. AI players, in my humble opinion, should always have a certain role, not just a hero/faction that roams the map/fights another faction. They should be fleshed out and their role in the story/map should be easy to notice.

Level 23
update: please, those whoe say multiplayer(either with optional AI or only multiplayer), could you please specify the maximum number of players? Because again, if you make map for 12 players you can go batshit crazy with stuff, you cant do so crazy things with lets say 2 players

DSgamer yea thats a good point

Level 23
update: dont know if people understood me when I mentioned More players with optional single player + AI players and the concept of AI players as is.

Let me elaborate:

The single player(not the options 1 and 2) would still require LAN, but you will connect alone.

The AI concept is that if there is not XY players, there would be AI using some randomly generated, equally geared and leveled characters which would simulate other players that are lacking from the game

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 34
starting a new project is a fun thing to do, because everything are still easy, but you will start to feel dying after your project need a lot of more complicated systems and it will rock your brain hard :p

EDIT: I didn't mean to make you stop rolling on your new project, You know what? whatever happens to your project, just don't stop working on it..

Level 23
double post but meh...

I wonder if it is even still worth making map in warcraft 3, you know wc3 is not the most played map out there anymore, and I dont feel like people are eager to play some random ass map they never seen before

on topic:
I may need a bit of help deciding what icons to use to interact with units, current layout looks like this:

attachment.php

The first one is "Talk", and the second one is "Accept Quest/Task"

Now Im not really sure the Talk one fits, but I didnt find anything decent, so any ideas? or is it good as is?

Attachments

• rpgquestion1.png
    rpgquestion1.png
    61.4 KB · Views: 201
Status
Not open for further replies.