• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

ever thought about making a map a real game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Heho, that idea is stuck in my mind:

making a real game out of a warcraft map, such as DOTA or shinobi wars. Would be fun to create it, and you could improve the maps further, removing some limitations(if needed) and add several other things.
i wrote down some ideas for shinobi wars ^^ would you like that?
sadly my opengl skills(thought about making it with c++ and opengl) still very low, though the main problem is understanding the way the vertex coordinates are displayed on the screen(in projection mode), though i can program c++ well enough to do it theoretically.

anyway^^ is there such a project already? i guess other maps could be made into a real game as well, but dota like games would be something new to the video game market me thinks

Level 25
dota is a mod in a game named warcraft3

Holy shit! I thought it was a barbie simulation ...
I don't think you have to tell us what DOTA is :p Anyone who owns WC3 knows what DOTA is. Hell even basshunter made a song about it .

I hate it and I don't know why I even help you:

Link..

Ah.. Gotta love companies who steal other peoples ideas huh?

Level 25
Holy shit! I thought it was a barbie simulation ...
I don't think you have to tell us what DOTA is :p Anyone who owns WC3 knows what DOTA is. Hell even basshunter made a song about it .

Ah.. Gotta love companies who steal other peoples ideas huh?

"making a real game out of a warcraft map, such as DOTA or shinobi wars" =P

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Sounds more like an arena/tactics game than an AoS. Probably will target a different audience from that who play DotA.

Anyway, yes I have thought about this. So far all I know are flash games which were based on WC3 maps like elemental TD. However propper maps could expand on ideas and remove restrictions by becomming a game, the problem is making it worthit for people to buy.

This however is not as easy as one may believe. Firstly you need to reconstruct almost the entire WC3 engine functionality and add your own to that. This includes basic game engines, AI, conservitive recource management (only loading and storing in RAM what is needed), data load management (how to load stuff smoothly), scalability (so systems with worse hardware can run it and newer ones can utalize their hardware more), multiplayer syncronization and multiplayer servers. These are but a few of the things that need to be made, so good luck with them all for just a simple map. You are looking at probably 128 times the ammount of man time which it took to make the map which the game will be based off.

Also comes the problem of graphics. You have none and that is the problem. Coding an engine is all fine and well but it needs something to display otherwise the screen with be blank. Remember that due to copywrites, you can not simply steal WC3 or other game's models as then you will have lawsuits filed against you. Thus you need a team of artists to make all the visual recources which your game will use, and by team I mean 3 atleast as you can not honestly expect 1 person to create umpteen models or more and skin them as well as animate them all well.

Also, using both DX and OpenGL might be wise as most good games tend to do so, like WC3 and future SC2.

If I am not mistaken, you build your world using the grid system (3 axis) basing it around the origan and move the camera and not the world around you. You however for speed tend to remove models and objects that are far away from the camera as it does help even thou there is clipping already (you can notice this with units and doodads in WC3 which are so big their model should be viewable on camera but dissapear as the origan is too far out of the camera bounds). Also if your world is too big, you may need to re-center the origan inorder to stop the coridnate variables overflowing (exceeding their bounds).

Remember that doing such a project is not a "make it up as you go" thing, you need to design how it will work carefully to avoid bugs and problems.

Level 19
To tell you the truth, I hope you don't think i'm crazy but, yes, I had this idea for quite a long time now and I've been wondering if just us Average Map Makers(not me, I don't make maps) should just stand out of Blizzard for a moment, maybe just make a map using the World Editor to like, try to see what your game'll be like, and just y'know make your game into a CD with your own editor and sell it off... You could even make a Warcraft VI without(or maybe since it was their idea, with) Blizzard's permission and you could add in a World Editor, it'll be real good stuff once people move from Blizzard to, let's see... TheHiveWorkshop Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.