1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Enhancing the skies

Discussion in 'General Mapping Tutorials' started by fladdermasken, Aug 10, 2011.

1. fladdermasken

fladdermasken

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:

[Terraining]: Enhancing the skies

A simple interactive guide for average terrainers hoping to reach the next level
    - By fladdermasken

List of Content
    Chapter 1: Introduction & Required ToolsChapter 2: Main
    Chapter 3: Aftermath

Chapter 1: Introduction & Required Tools

1.1 Preamble

Firstly, this doesn't by a long shot cover the whole aspect, it just briefly introduces you to the fundamentals. I don't really consider learning this by an interactive tutorial to be ideal, seeing as it's the kind of experimential procedure where you learn by doing, to cut an otherwise (more) lenghtly paragraph short. But since this was requested, I decided to give it a shot.

Secondly, to make matters easier for yours truly, I'm going to assume that you know your terraining fundamentals already. If you don't, you have some catching up to do before you have a go at this. This would for instance include:
    • Terrain palette familiarity
    • Basic camera knowledge
    • Object editor familiarity

1.2 The Ultimate Terraining Map 3.0

We will be using The Ultimate Terraining Map 3.0 (commonly refered to as UTM) for this procedure, simply because it conveniently enough features all the custom models we will need. If you want to import the models manually to your own map, I couldn't care less.

Anyhow, the ultimate terraining map is, as described by the author:

Chapter 2: Main

2.1 Terrain Fog

Terrain fog is a dandy little tool. It will [highlight]dramatically[/highlight] affect the final outcome of your sky, so pay attention. To enable terrain fog, tick the box under Scenario » Map Options. Style and density are somewhat irrelevant, so this chapter will focus on the other three options, while still briefly mentioning the others below.

Follow these steps:
    1. Use the raise tool to create some mountains, hills and mounds. Since this is an experiment, there's no real emphasis on the scenery as long as your map isn't completely flat.
      I will be working with the example displayed below.

Example
      [​IMG]

2. Go to Scenario » Map Preferences and set sky display to fogged sky and time of day to fixed - noon. Experiment with the fog settings we discussed. I'd recommend a pale and gentle gradient, it shouldn't push too much for attention. The transition should be smooth and natural. Avoid abrupt shifts in general, colors should transition naturally. A clear blue sky should never clash with a blood red fog gradient and vice versa.

Example
      [​IMG]
      Example
      [​IMG]

2.2 Clouds

We should now be ready to bring out the big guns, the models that will make your sky look authentic and not like the inside of a horse's mouth: Clouds. As previously mentioned, the models we need are conveniently organized and available in the ultimate terraining map, you will find them under the cinematic category in the doodad palette. Before starting, you should scale the models in accordance to the size of the scenery. Below you will find an approximate example for how I adjust my scaling value in correspondence to the z end value. Follow the steps below:

Z End Value
    Scaling Value
    5000 - 8000
    5.0 - 8.0
    8000-12000
    8.0 - 12.0
    12000 +

1. Open the object editor, find the cloud models [Doodads » Custom Doodads » Cinematic » Sky: Clouds (1-3)], and adjust the following:
    2. Ascertain that you set Editor - Ignore Model Clicks to true. This implies that the clouds won't be selectable in the editor.
      This is convenient for several reasons:

• Clouds are excessively large and it would thus be impossible to select anything else.
      • Overly stretched models have a tendency of crashing the editor when selected.

3. Adjust the color values of the clouds (Art - Tinting Color). The lesser the values, the more saturated the clouds.
      In this brief example I've used the following values:
      Example
      [​IMG]

4. That's a basic foundation. This procedure takes practice to master, so just keep experimenting and you'll get the hang of it before you can say retinal detachment. There are several models under the cinematic category which can be used to emphasise and enhance the sky.

2.3 Stormsphere

Before I leave you, I have to mention one other aspect. The stormsphere-curtain. The only difference between this and the previously mentioned aspect is the base sky. Where as in the previous example we started with a preset sky and enhanced it, we will in this scenario work from scratch with a completely monochromatic curtain.

1. Go to Object Editor » Doodads » Custom Doodads » Cinematic and locate Sky: Stormsphere. The stormsphere is an animated dome (or sphere) which portrays a lightning storm in full effect. It's a rather nice effect in moderation, but by default it will not interact well with other light sources and is thus seldom used. We can, however, obviously circumvent that particular drawback.

2. Set the listed settings as such:
      Completely blank color values (0/0/0) will output a completely monochromatic wall, while low values will add a glimmer of sorts to the sky base.
      Individual preferences, no particular weight on either of the options. Just go with the flow.

3. Place the stormsphere. You shouldn't be able to see it at first because of its immense scale, but just press and hold ctrl and scroll towards yourself and it'll show eventually. You'll notice that instead of a preset sky, the sky will be painted in the same color gradient as your terrain fog. This is quite convenient since this dramatically decreases any risk of fog and sky clashing.

4. Add clouds as you did earlier. In this example I'm using these settings:
      Example
      [​IMG]
      Example (Different Colors)
      [​IMG]

Chapter 3: Aftermath

3.1 Epilogue

This concludes my guide, the rest is just creativity, perspective and individual preferences. Combine techniques, compliment with other cinematic effects, try out odd color gradients and in general think outside the box (or pyramid, or sphere, or bag, or whatever the hell you want). Sure hope you don't consider this a complete waste of time. As mentioned in the preamble, this aspect is impossible to cover in an interactive guide, but at least this should give you a brief idea on how to think and which components to work with.

To wrap this whole bag of sweets up, here are a select few terraining pieces which demonstrate the technique we've experienced and experimented with today ~[/hippie teacher].

Showcase
    towerofdawn.png waterfallf.png SivirAva.png user184486_pic44413_1300726396.png Post Cat Terr Possible Final.png

Credits

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2011
  2. Statharas

Statharas

Resources:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    ... That is DEFINITELY NOT IN WC3. Please tell me that i am right...

3. fladdermasken

fladdermasken

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    No. You're wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDxSnQqAYeY

4. Seems kind of useless to me, but somebody might have a use for it =/

5. Maker

Maker

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Seems like a somewhat useful tutorial.

Slightly offtopic
    By saying "I could care less" you propably mean "I couln't care less".

6. Amargaard

Amargaard

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Very nice tutorial Fladdermasken, I could use this myself. +rep :)

7. fladdermasken

fladdermasken

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Thanks for the responses.
    It's a terraining tutorial. Should be utterly pointless for everyone not interested in terraining :p
    Yes. Yes I do.

Must've been a typo...

8. Keiji

Keiji

Administrator

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    That, to me, seems like a useless comment.

If you are so bold as to claim a Tutorial is useless, then at least have the respect and courtesy of actually explaining HOW it is useless.

Nevertheless, I find this tutorial very proffessional and useful, especially considering how many terrainers that doesn't get this thing with skies.

9. Skycraft

Skycraft

Resources:
    Resources:
    Nice tutorial, I finally might be able to make a 'decent' custom sky.
    Good job! :D

10. fladdermasken

fladdermasken

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Thanks for the support.

11. Bugz

Bugz

Resources:
    Maps:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    Usefull, i always needed to find out that :v, thanks for making it

12. fladdermasken

fladdermasken

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Glad it turned out well.

And if I may issue a request to purgeandfire whenever he finds the time to review this, would you please change the title to: How To Design A Custom Sky?
    Premature thanks and conveniently-sized ostrich egg.

[​IMG]

13. -Kobas-

-Kobas-

Resources:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Look good to me, vote for approval :)

14. Pharaoh_

Pharaoh_

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Nice tutorial, but I would expect more screenshot-presentation of possible recoloring and maybe some placement tips, to avoid really intense effects (when placing the models on the top of each other).

I would also keep this title, because "designing a custom sky" might refer to photoshop work.

15. fladdermasken

fladdermasken

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Thanks -Kobas- and Pharao_ for criticism and support.
    Presentation of the recoloring process as in more thoroughly demonstrating different effects to the tinting tool?
    I see your point. I suppose we can negotiate a compromise.

"Terraining A Custom Sky" - how does that sound? :]

16. Skycraft

Skycraft

Resources:
    Resources:
    Sounds better than the one right now.
    I approve.

17. Pharaoh_

Pharaoh_

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yes. :]

See, no matter how generic we turned the whole process of "terraining" into (a process that involves sky modification too), terrain has to do with the ground, so "terraining skies" is like "burning water": can't be done.

How about: "[Terraining]: Enhancing the skies"? This way, the topic falls into the category of terraining, without making things complex :]

18. fladdermasken

fladdermasken

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I like it. Changed.

19. eubz

eubz

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs: