• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece!🔗 Click here to enter!

Engineering upg messing up abilities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
I'm using engineering upgrade with disabeled spellbooks for customizable hero abilities, like baka-ranger's custom hero tutorial basically, it works but with some abilities effects are missing.

I.E. a custom berserk ability doesn't play any sound or show the attachment (the hero do get the buff) but it works properly besides that.

The original abilities that get swapped with custom ones are based of the Channel ability if that matters.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I've heard some interesting (untested as of yet, by myself at least) things about Engineering Upgrade. Nothing about it's copies failing... But apparently, if you take Ability A and use Engineering Upgrade to 'upgrade' it to a different ability, Ability B, EU will occasionally mess up the transition & combine facets of both A & B, creating a new (glitch) Ability C.

Would love to see if this works, & how.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
As Kirby said. Engineering upgrade will expect that the abilities use very similar data. For instance, if you swap storm bolt with critical strike, then the critical strike will be targetable on units.
So wait, that's for real?? Because that could seriously unlock a whole new world of interesting Abilites to play around with. :p Just imagine... Targettable Divine Shield, Passive Chain Lightning, Toggled Trueshot Aura... All without triggers. :p

We really oughta plumb these depths.

Level 21
So wait, that's for real?? Because that could seriously unlock a whole new world of interesting Abilites to play around with. :p Just imagine... Targettable Divine Shield, Passive Chain Lightning, Toggled Trueshot Aura... All without triggers. :p

We really oughta plumb these depths.

I don't think it would work this way, but you're welcome to prove me wrong. I would like these possibilities a lot.

Level 12
When I was messing around with Engineering Upgrade, I THINK I may have found out why it can create "Hybrid" abilities.

IT CHANGES THE FREAKIN' ORDER ID!

I had two spells, one based off of Immolation and another based off of Mana Shield. I swapped the Mana Shield with the Immolation, and Immolation had the Order ID of Manashieldon/off...

I think before you should take my word for it, you should probably test that out yourself. Because sometimes my mind just plays tricks on me.

JASS:
function Trig_orders_Actions takes nothing returns nothing
    local integer order = GetIssuedOrderId()
    call BJDebugMsg(GetUnitName(GetOrderedUnit()) + " has been ordered " + OrderId2String(order)+ " ("+I2S(order)+")")
endfunction

function InitTrig_orders takes nothing returns nothing
    local trigger t = CreateTrigger()
    call TriggerRegisterAnyUnitEventBJ(t, EVENT_PLAYER_UNIT_ISSUED_TARGET_ORDER )
    call TriggerRegisterAnyUnitEventBJ(t, EVENT_PLAYER_UNIT_ISSUED_POINT_ORDER )
    call TriggerRegisterAnyUnitEventBJ(t, EVENT_PLAYER_UNIT_ISSUED_ORDER )
    call TriggerAddAction(t, function Trig_orders_Actions)
endfunction

Use this (I think it's by TriggerHappy) to see the orders that go through.

I recall there being limitations to engineering upgrade. Specifically if you copy it, the copy does not work anywhere near as well as the original.

There's some pretty broken shit in WarCraft III, but I don't think Blizzard would have let this happen. I'm very sure they would have noticed something like that. (By broken I mean functionally broken, not balance-wise xD)

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
When I was messing around with Engineering Upgrade, I THINK I may have found out why it can create "Hybrid" abilities.

IT CHANGES THE FREAKIN' ORDER ID!

I had two spells, one based off of Immolation and another based off of Mana Shield. I swapped the Mana Shield with the Immolation, and Immolation had the Order ID of Manashieldon/off...

I think before you should take my word for it, you should probably test that out yourself. Because sometimes my mind just plays tricks on me.

JASS:
function Trig_orders_Actions takes nothing returns nothing
    local integer order = GetIssuedOrderId()
    call BJDebugMsg(GetUnitName(GetOrderedUnit()) + " has been ordered " + OrderId2String(order)+ " ("+I2S(order)+")")
endfunction

function InitTrig_orders takes nothing returns nothing
    local trigger t = CreateTrigger()
    call TriggerRegisterAnyUnitEventBJ(t, EVENT_PLAYER_UNIT_ISSUED_TARGET_ORDER )
    call TriggerRegisterAnyUnitEventBJ(t, EVENT_PLAYER_UNIT_ISSUED_POINT_ORDER )
    call TriggerRegisterAnyUnitEventBJ(t, EVENT_PLAYER_UNIT_ISSUED_ORDER )
    call TriggerAddAction(t, function Trig_orders_Actions)
endfunction

Use this (I think it's by TriggerHappy) to see the orders that go through.

There's some pretty broken shit in WarCraft III, but I don't think Blizzard would have let this happen. I'm very sure they would have noticed something like that. (By broken I mean functionally broken, not balance-wise xD)
Woah... That's amazing, if that's what it does. However, how would something like this result in a "castable Critical Strike" as Xonok said; and to what does the buff belong (i.e. does it stack)?

Level 12
Woah... That's amazing, if that's what it does. However, how would something like this result in a "castable Critical Strike" as Xonok said; and to what does the buff belong (i.e. does it stack)?

Well I thought he said this would show which order is used with the engineering upgrade, not make the change, the change is already there because of the engineering upgrade.

It's just a message with the order as string

Level 12
Engineering Upgrade would put an Order String on Critical Strike, resulting in it being an active ability, since the Order String determines a large amount of functionality in a spell (I think) if that's what actually happens and a castable Critical Strike is actually made. I dunno if that'll actually happen, though.

I think later today I'll test if this is possible. Honestly, it wouldn't really be much. It'd just be a Shadow Strike without the Movement/Attack Speed Modifications and a DoT.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Engineering Upgrade would put an Order String on Critical Strike, resulting in it being an active ability, since the Order String determines a large amount of functionality in a spell (I think) if that's what actually happens and a castable Critical Strike is actually made. I dunno if that'll actually happen, though.
Huh. Fascinating.

aple said:
I think later today I'll test if this is possible. Honestly, it wouldn't really be much. It'd just be a Shadow Strike without the Movement/Attack Speed Modifications and a DoT.
YES. And that is exactly the point. Seriously, how many abilities can be described as "X without Y" or "A with B"? Nearly all of them! It may not sound creative, but it's a great way around existing limitations.

The only thing that matters to me at this point (assuming this works with any regularity/awexomeness-osity) is will the buffs conflict. Can I make buffed abilities that stack with their 'parents', or am I still stuck with that ridiculous restriction?... I would test but this weekend is super-busy. Let me know what you find, aple. : )

Level 19
I tried storm bolt to crit and it seemed to permastun and deal 14 damage (roughly 1/4 of the damage of the caster) o_O

Okay boss! For the meantime, cake.
reputation_higherpos.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.