• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Editing Other People's Models

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
I was wondering, what is the general rule for editing the models of other people? Obviously you shouldn't edit the models of people who ask not to have their models edited (like most modelers today). But what about people who are long gone, who can't be reached for permission? What about models of unknown origin, who do I ask to edit them? Perhaps someone more senior could help?

Level 26
the rule is usually like that:
if some1 says "no"---> you are not allowed to edit it
if some1 says "yes"--> you are allowed to edit it
if some1 did not say anything about it--> ask
if some1 did not say anything about it & isn't active at all anymore--> you are not allowed to edit it

but I still think, like Devine already mentioned, some small changes to fit in your map is ok as long as you do not reserve any credit to the changes you made

Level 9
[JOKE] If you don't ask, you don't get a no [/JOKE]

It depends on what you edit. If you remove a weapon or add a missing
attachment point, I say: Just do it.

And you ofacuse credit the author and write a note about you edited the model.

Level 15
fuck conficius, it has nothing to do with wc3 modding just so everyone can get away with editing other people's models (that aren't blizzard's)

the rule is, ask first, then if inactivity or can't be reached is a problem, you give credits and write a comment

lol, That is quite the twisted use of Confucius's sayings.
I would agree DonDustin and MeKC.
If it is something tiny, like adding something not actually seen on the model. I would go with it. But if it is changing geometry/bones/animation/texture wrap/texture, don't do it.
Adding a camera to fix unit portaits is a good thing, do that if you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.